Potential Australian recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, May 1, 2016.

1. Rickyme Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650, WR300 both 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR 600 Belgarda
    Ive just got my Terra back after the ECU update and it is fantastic. I rode a couple of days on firetrails around Canberra and never stalled. The temp was pretty hot and normally it would idle rough and Id be on the clutch all the time in the slow stuff so she wouldnt stall and fall over.
    On start up the idle is a little higher but much smoother and it just feels like its getting more fuel - smooth but not bogging at all when I crank the throttle.
    Im in Sydney but I couldnt find a dealer here who gave a shit so took to Joes Bikes in Canberra. Hes a husky dealer now and has done 10 or so bikes now. It took about 6 weeks (and there is the issue of the possibly hijacked dipstick ive posted also) but it runs great.
  2. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Mine did over 7000k after the Wuka King was installed and didn't resume misfiring.
  3. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Fit whatever spoofer you like, the ecu will eventually learn from the O2 sensor and cut the fuelling back to its lean program.
    However, there is a way round it....
    I have had a larger injector fitted for over 15k km now. Initially I used it in conjunction with a Dyna Boost unit which simultaneously spoofs air temp and O2 sensors to make the bike run well and it worked perfectly.

Later I discovered that if the O2 sensor is disconnected the bike runs just as well and of course ECU cannot learn.

Currently I am not in a position to get the ECU recall done and for those in the same boat, running like I do is a very good option.
    I have the bigger injector, a variable resistor as an air temp spoofer and no O2 sensor connected.
    Bike has run perfect with absolutely no stalling whatsoever for the past 8k km and it is going to stay that way until I can do the ECU recall.
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Which injector number Mark?
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bosch 0280 158 124
  6. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Have one on the way.
    Bike is not far off 50,000k now and has been superb since the valve adjustment, Pulstar plugs & major service at around 20,000.
    It's just starting to get a little grumpy on start-up and the odd stall creeping back in. Seems to love the cooler weather over the warm/hot.
    I'll check the valves again at 50k , clean IACV, new plugs, check airbox & TB hopefully won't need cleaning! Fit new injector & reset adaptions & then see.
    Haven't done the latest ECU update.
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    are you running the Pulstars about 30k km now? No issues with them? I want to like them but one started to fail and i lost confidence in them.
  8. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes. I've ordered a second set but have been advised these are the last 2 in Oz. The long awaited re-design is apparently still happening but who knows when.
    All I can say about them is that unless I performed magic with the bike just by adjusting valves, then they made no difference. But when I installed them at the time of the valve clearance job, the bike was transformed.
    A little bit of dicking around to install them as they're longer but other than that, no regrets.
    I only wish I could fit them in my Trumpy's but not enough clearance between valve cover & air box to accommodate the extra length.
    My 2c....
  9. Tony P Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS Dakar
    Mark_H and others similarly without dealer access for the ECU recall.

I am in a similar position, far from any dealer. It was unrealistic (and costly) to take the moto to another country and leave it there for several weeks before returning to collect it.

I contacted the original dealer I bought it from in UK and he said to remove the ECU unit (ONLY AFTER COMPLETE DISCONNECTION AND REMOVAL OF THE BATTERY) and take/mail/courier it to him. The dealer then sent it to Magneti Marelli in Milan, Italy. Although MM state a turnaround time back to the dealer of 10 working days, it was back with him in exactly a week of sending it.

Fairly regularly I fly to UK so, now the snow is here and the moto stored, I packed the ECU in my bag and took it to the dealer and brought it back on my next visit.

Mail/courier times to/from a dealer in another country may vary, but at least neither you nor the moto need to go! Obviously use an Insured/Compensation mail.

NB. Before disconnecting the battery, take a note of the mileage. The dealer will require this for the recall records and claim. You can only read it with the ECU connected!
  10. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you for the Info.
    We currently have a new route to getting the recall done here in Philippines.
    KTM in Manila are assisting and so far around 100 Ecus have been sent off and returned with generally good overall improvements.
    As soon as i can I will be sending mine to them for the update.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Looks like all the TR's ever produced were sold in the Philippines ;):D
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not all, my info is that there are actually 215 Husqvarna Units here.
    Approx 80 Terras, 120 Stradas and 15 Nuda 900R
    Whereas there are to my knowledge more than 1000 TR650 units in USA alone.
  13. Race Rakker Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS 1200
    I wonder how many TR650 machines are made in total. Here in The Netherlands is still no recall action, hope it will come soon, in our neighbour country Germany you may not drive your TR when it is not reflashed. So I wonder what will happen when I drive there, and there is a controll.
  14. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Don't hold your breath for them to do anything. I took my 2 in for the recall (though never received notice of the recall, despite buying new), and now bikes are messed up. Had an accident on one as a result. They "attempted" to fix, but have only made problem worse. Now they have fired the largest volume dealer in Australia (my dealer), leaving us with no support at all, and are ignoring my messages. When I call the main office for Australia, thy hear that its me and hang up on me, after telling me why my contact is refusing to respond any longer. When I call back numerous times through the day, they just let it go to voice mail. A guy I am working with recently rode RTW. Husqvarna approached him to do it again on the new 701. He agreed and struck off. Now he is stranded on the other side of the planet from his home, with Husqvarna not at all interested in fixing the bike. So he has told them off and is getting another bike so he can get back on the road, where he makes his living. So guys, hate to say it, but the brand is dead. KTM clearly bought the brand to kill it.
  15. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Mate with an 1290R had a reg/rec die on him after 750km, got knocked back on warranty because he was the "second owner." He bought it ex demo from a dealer with 80km on it... Never a fan of KTM and their warranties, maybe it's bleeding through to Husky now too...

EDIT: In the end his dealer sorted him out free of charge, no help from head office though.
  16. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Yeah sounds pretty standard practice for KTM. "You bought a bike from us? Thanks, now F*** off, or pay us insane money to keep that pile going for you!". And yes, it's now Huqvarna's way... screw the customer. Did you know KTM is the company that pulled the rug out on Charlie Boorman and Ewan Macgregor? And they STILL think Charlie is a nobody who's done nothing for ADV bikes. Arrogant pricks. BMW warranty... 3 years/unlimited KM's from the day you ride it away, even if its a 2yr-old demo. I honestly have no clue why anyone would buy a KTM... and now a Husky.
  17. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    To be honest, support from BMW wasn't better either for me. When I needed a new crankshaft BMW didn't want to lift a finger because KTM had taken over by then.
    KTM came back to me saying they didn't stock BMW parts and couldn't give me any indication of a delivery date for the crankshaft. Since I was in Iran at the time, limited by visa and carnet time frames, that was not an acceptable answer. KTM then offered to sell me an entire new engine. Refusing to take the crank shaft out of that engine they had in stock and quoting 5000EUR for the engine. I had paid less for the entire bike. After pulling some strings through motorcycle journalists I know they dropped the price to 2000EUR. Still more than I was prepared to pay for just needing a crank shaft and way too late. By that time I had already found a second hand bottom end for 700USD.
    I have stopped relying on manufacturers entirely and have gotten myself a GS911. Never had any issues with the ECU so far thankfully. So haven't taken the bikes in for a ECU reflash either.
  18. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Oh yes, been there. Both BMW and KTM have disowned the bike. That's why I will be forced to replace it. Both of them. Definitely do not let anyone near your ecu! Mine was fine with the BMW tune and a booster plug. But I let them pressure me that it was a safety recall and that they had in fact fixed the low end stumble. They threatened that I would get no support when out like you if I didn't get the recall done. What a mistake ever taking it in! But your experience, duibhcek, is exactly why I can't take this overland again. I'm just not in the mood for these A-holes. I have a complete parts bike, minus a few bits I've had to use since you can't get parts anymore, but if I have ECU issues again, it will be a death sentence. Husqvarna isn't even requiring dealers to have the cables to plug them in! So there just is no support. I have had many bimmers, and while there can be challenges with their dealers at times, the company by and large backs up the bike. And its hard to find a place in the world where a Bimmer hasn't been and hasn't been bodged together in a pinch. They are still king of the hill for a reason. I don't see a threat coming anytime soon.
  19. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I have moved away from my original home where I bought my Strada. Got my recall letter. Contacted my original dealer ( no dealer in Bundaberg) and was told they had no knowledge of any recall and they checked with the distributor and was told there was no recall.
    On top of that it is now bloody impossible to start. New plugs, PCV5 and all...
  20. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    The dealer is full of BS. The distributor knows full well there's a recall.