Potential Australian recall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, May 1, 2016.

1. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Can't do much. I now live 1000km away ( almost exactly actually)
  2. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Some peeps have dealt with it by sending the ECU to a dealer.
  3. Benergy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW, Ducati, Hondas
    A not so honest tech lifted the dealer's moss pigtail when he quit or was fired, I think, since they couldn't find theirs and KTM swore they were sent one. It took 6 weeks to get it done on my bike. When it lost power below 5k rpm less than 60 miles later, they told me they no longer support this bike. Not sure that the owner of this dealership in Bend,OR,USA would agree with this policy. Bike is now in the custody of a more agreeable dealer in Salem,OR where at least they'll talk to me and keep bugging the KTM service rep 3 months after the power loss developed. Never had a moment's trouble with the bike before returning for the recall. Maybe I'm being superstitious but I would say don't return it for the recall,ha!
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

Did you ride it or let it idle to fan on after recall? What did it run like before recall..?
  5. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Had my ECU done (three week turnaround). Definitely idles smoother and less hesitant at take off which is an improvement.
    Only downside is a longer crank during cold starting. Anyone else experience the same issue?
  6. ecn226 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250r CRF150R
    Yep. Same with mine although the cold start seemed to improve a little bit after a few short rides.
  7. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    For my bike it was an improvement. I think it all depends on what mods you have previously done to it. eg spoofer, firmware, plugs etc.
    Just for interest sake, how many cold cranks?
  8. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    BOG, stock Strada here, PodMod only. ECU update done.
    Temps ~0 to -5C all morning today, 4 cold starts, one from stone cold after not running for 4 weeks took 4-5 cranks, the other 3 cold starts took 2 cranks each.
    I needed about 20 cranks myself each time :-)
    PaulC likes this.
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    4-5 cold cranks after installing the ECU which has not improved after several rides. No engine mods whatsoever.
    Winter/preventative maintenance while bike was waiting for ECU -
    * new 180cca agm battery installed. Previous one was five years old; still okay though.
    * new NGK MAR9A-J plugs
    * oil and filter change
    With the old calibration, cold & hot cranks = 2; 3 if bike sat around for a while.
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    was a proper adaption reset and rebuild performed after the firmware update? Mine requires 2-3 cranks cold and 1 warm quite consistently.
  11. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Reading the service manual, it mentions plugs with excessive gap will cause hard starting. The MAR9A-J come pre-gapped at 0.8mm not 0.6mm as factory specified.
    I installed them as-is as recommended by the dealer but I'll remove them & regap to see if there's an improvement as it's a simple task.
  12. ecn226 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250r CRF150R
    The spark plugs could be our common denominator. I had new plugs fitted at the same time the ECU was done. It was done at the dealers so I have no idea if they set the gap or not.
  13. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The plug gaps are not a factor, the TR650 has coils which will fire across 2 mm gaps which some of the Brisk plugs have, the increased gap merely raises the voltage at which the plug fires, in the case of the Brisk plugs it is around 20kv
  14. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I still have the old plugs which are fine and had no hard starting issues so I'll try them. Easier than regapping the new plugs.