New 630 Safari tank

Discussion in '610/630' started by danbartol, Oct 12, 2010.

1. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    No.From a place in oz that sells cheap safari tanks,mostly for dr and drz, every now and then.At this stage if the black is too much some covers will be made that can be painted.No bubbling stickers.
  2. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

It's been a few days, so I thought I'd chime in with an update of sorts.

After the talk of sealing issues with the tank / pump flange, I pulled the tank out of the box again to have a look (I was going to put off mounting this up for a month or 2 until I have the time). I didn't like what I saw.

[IMG]

The plastic appeared to be melted or something, as well as the opening was trimmed a bit to close to this threaded insert:

[IMG]

The insert at the middle / right is much closer to the opening, and I was concerned that the gasket would not have the area to properly seat.

Here's a web shot of the pump flange and gasket:
    [IMG]

I emailed "Just Gas Tanks" (seller) with some of these photos and they responded quickly (by email and phone) that they would ship out another tank, but they were all out of the white. BTW, they did mention that these tend to have less than flat mounting areas.... Kudos to them and their great service!! So my new red tank showed up today with a prepaid return ticket for the white one.

Lot's of expensive plastic hanging around....

[IMG]

I opened them both up to compare the mounting areas.
    [IMG]

The red one has a nice even cut out for the pump, but it's definitely not flat.

[IMG]

The surface on the underside is also very porous, or looks like the molding process was very bubbly. I looked hard at the white tank in the glare, etc. and couldn't find any areas like this. Not sure if this is standard or not....

[IMG]

Here's a quick shot of the uneven surface at the mounting plate area:The steel square is sitting on the 2 opposite inserts. Looks like a bit of light sanding may be the trick.

[IMG]

Not trying to make a big thing of this, as I've never dealt with an aftermarket tank before, just thought I'd show some details on these and hopefully get some feedback.

Thanks!
  3. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really do not understand why they do not just mill it true after fitting the inserts or supply an appropriate gasket ??
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Not bad quality for a $ 100.00 tank!
  5. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS, Ducati Multistrada
    The stickers on my tank did not hold up after riding in a hot day! Bubbles were formed. I will have to peel them off.

bike 118.jpg bike 120.jpg

My tank also started to leak as well. I will have to buy a gasket or O-ring to seal it. The outside of the tank has turned yellow - caused by the leaking petrol. I am sure that the inside of the tank will turn yellow over time as well.
  6. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you tell us what gasket / o-ring you used for mounting the fuel pump? I noticed that there's quite a bit of plastic (thickness) at the mounting location that can be sanded / filed down flat to help guarantee a tight seal. I hate having to do things like this twice....

I won't get to mounting mine up for another month or so - too many other projects going on right now, but I'll post more pic's of what I do.

Sorry to see your decals peeling. I've been hunting for some perforated vinyl to try out.

On a side note, I did speak with the vendor (JGT's) regarding the bubble / porosity issue on the second tank I received. They indicated that this has been an ongoing problem with the Safari tanks they've received for some time, but it won't affect how they work. Mine is only on the underside so there's no visual issue when installed on the bike. I'll be a red tank bike!
  7. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS, Ducati Multistrada
    I found out that there was already a small rubber gasket with the fuel pump. I took it out and replace it with a piece of thicker rubber that I found in my local hardware store and cut it to shape. So far it has stopped the leak.

I bought another set of decals from another EBay store for $8 a set and give it another try, but I don't think it will work.
  8. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    Will, Have you got any shots of your 630 with the black tank?

cheers, Max
  9. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    No still got a few more bits to collect before bike gets stripped , gusseted,faired,racked, exhausted,bazzazed ......
    Then i can put it all back together and get a shot of the tank .:D
    Max have you got any good shots of the centrestand?
  10. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    Looking forward to seeing it. I plan on doing most of that when i come home from uni - I'm 2000 km away from my 630 :(

I don't have any good shots of the centre stand in use, but i can tell you it's just about the most useful thing i've put on it (tyre changes are so simple)
    but, here's a shot from cigarmike's website (who i bought it off) - it even has a safari tank - staying on topic :thumbsup:
    Scott-1.JPG

here's his site if you're interested http://www.cigarmikes.com/2011/11/te630-centerstand-85shipping.html

i did have to pull the legs out from scraping my swingarm though (but that was after a few naps on its side)

Max
  11. asi00007 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki V-strom 1000

Hi mate! did yiu install the tank ? Im looking for a picture with the red tank ..
    cheers
  12. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    In black
    Looks pretty good in the flesh,don't think i'll try and cover the black

[IMG]
    maxyb likes this.
  13. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    [IMG]

I put the Safari on my 610 and had the same problems with the fuel pump leaking (see this thread). I tried various solutions, then took it to a bike shop to sort out. They filed down one of the brass inserts, then used Wurth Super Etc-Silicone Black sealant, which seemed to fix the problem (though this sealant does not list fuel pumps as an application, hmmm). One downside is that, after a few hundred k's, my low-fuel sensor has stopped working (I found this out 20k from anywhere of course). The thought of removing the pump, figuring out what is blocking the sensor and reinstalling it makes me uncomfortable.

Motoxnut has a 630 and also ordered a Safari tank and it leaked as well - his thought was it was better to return it and get one that doesn't leak. If you modify it and then it starts leaking in a few months they may refuse to do a warranty replacement.

The tank does fit the bike nicely but it is -huge-, much more capacity than I need. Also, when I fill it to capacity it impacts the riding position and handling in a way that's a bit deceptive. Everything seems great until you hit a big rut, then the extra weight up front can do surprising things to the front wheel. Given the handling, the cost, the fuel pump fiddling, and the fact I won't recoup the investment when I sell the bike, in hindsight I wish I had done something like RotoPax instead.
  14. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

"Hi mate! did yiu install the tank ? Im looking for a picture with the red tank ..
    cheers"

I have not mounted it up yet. Will probably start at the end of this month. Still recovering from shoulder surgery....
  15. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
  16. asi00007 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki V-strom 1000
    Dr Klaun hope you feel better soon!!

Russ Thank you for the link! its look like the set-up I'm going with :thumbsup:
  17. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or tried yet, but I have had good luck with Teflon tape on leaky float bowl gaskets. Once on an old Triumph single and again on an older 4cyl street bike. Start the tape at an angle so it will wrap around the shape of the gasket. It takes some fineness and a little time but you can "fatten" up the gaskets and stop the leaks. These fuel pump gaskets should be super easy to fatten up with a roll of 3/4" Teflon tape. This is the first fix I would try as it has worked 100% for me before.
  19. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    After fitting the safari tank i've noticed my fan coming on more often.The weather is cooler but the fan seems to be running more.Anyone else noticed this after fitting the safari tank?
  20. Grez Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1150 GS
    Had mine in Morocco at 42 C (107 F for you guys over the pond). Didn't notice the fan on any more than usual and the handling over the rocky trails was fine. It was about 3/4 full in the sand dunes and was fine there as well. Last year a friend with the same bike had overheating problems but mine was fine, luck of the draw I guess.
    Glad the tank is good and tough as I had 2 decent crashes on rocks and only broke an indicator lens, provided good radiator protection. Did crack 2 ribs in a crash in the sand dunes but that was operator error, made the rest of the trip interesting though.