New 630 Safari tank

Discussion in '610/630' started by danbartol, Oct 12, 2010.

1. senorpeligro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS
    Just in case I wanted to go back to the stock tank, is there anything non-reversible in the Safari Tank install process?
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    No. Go for it.
  3. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Ken, I noticed over on the sub-frame thread that your Safari tank had developed a leak. I've been fighting the same issue. Mine's had a slow leak, almost just a seep, in the crossover valve location.

With the issues some have had with the warped fuel pump mount area (including me), I thought that might be the issue. After trying 3 different "gasoline resistant" sealers, a slightly thicker o-ring, and even a full gasket, I finally found that that wasn't my issue at all.

This afternoon, I pulled the tank, again. I pulled the crossover valve, and found no sign that my leak was from behind the valve, or that the valve itself was leaking. I even switched valves last time I did this. In cleaning up the excess sealer in that area, I noticed that the sealer had stained an interesting area in the pocket the crossover valve sits in. It's doesn't look like a crack, it's more like a clean slice in the plastic. It doesn't go straight through, it's at an angle, and curved in shape. You ever skin your knuckle, and lay the skin back down? It looks like that. I couldn't tell you if it's a casting flaw, or whatever, so I'm not going to cast blame anywhere, but it's hard for me to not be disappointed in this tank. Doesn't seem like you get much for your $650 these days.

Anyways, I cleaned the area, and mixed up some epoxy to try to seal the area. I hope it works, I'm going to let it set until Saturday.

Anybody got a stock tank they want to sell? I don't know if mine is useable, it's missing one of the fuel pump mount inserts.
  4. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I guess you didn't get any pics of the area?
    I have been playing with the thought of buying a safari tank since there is limited options for extended range.
    The high failure rates are causing me some concern though.
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good info! When I get back from my trip I'll take a close look to see what the problem may be. Very strange that the leak came out of the blue. Fortunately, I have my stock tank and can pop it back on easily. If the Safari has failed I will be in contact with them to see if they will do anything to help. I know there is no warranty at this point, or is there. It is part of the fuel system and isn't that covered under some kind of law?
  6. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

In retrospect, I wouldn't buy one. I'd stick with stacking a Kolpin fuel pak on the back rack.
  7. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    That is the way I am set up now, I carry 4 liters on the rack and two one liter fuel bottles in the Kriegas
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Started to remove the tank this morning and found the cross over tube split at one end. I'm sure that's the problem but will investigate more when I get home again.
  9. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

That sounds good. That crossover hose doesn't even look like fuel line. It looks more like vacuum line. At least mine does, it has no reinforcing, it's just thinwall rubber.
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    You have that right! Not a lot of space in there but I will try to use fuel hose.
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Hopefully that's all it is. But what doesn't make sense is you said you turned off both petcocks and it continued to leak. Did you open the petcocks again before parkiing it overnight?

_
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am not sure the petcocks are closing completely. Just don't have time now to get into it. More later.
  13. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, the epoxy just peeled right off. I called Just Gas Tanks and asked them if they knew of any adhesive/sealant that would work on the tank. Negative, it's made of polyethylene, though a common plastic, solvents, sealers, and adhesives just don't work well. Their recommendation was plastic welding. I found a shop locally that does that, has been doing it for awhile, and has done motorcycle gas tanks in the past. So, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
  14. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have the stuff for you. At supper now but when I get home...
  15. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

Took the tank to the plastic welder this morning. Guy knew his stuff, and knew what to look for. He found a 2nd area (in the same general vicinity) where the tank was seeping. He spent about an hour on it, preparing, welding, inspecting, cleaning, etc. When I got home, I installed the crossover valve, but before I installed the tank back on the bike, I poured some gas down in that pocket of the tank. 2 hours later, no leaks. Bone dry. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm optimistic.
    I know this tank is long out of warranty, but these leaks seem obviously due to poor quality, and I doubt I'll ever be a Safari customer again.
  16. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    +1. I also ended up taking my tank to a plastic welder because of leaks around the fuel pump area. I don't think I'll get another Safari - next time I'll probably to just use a couple of RotoPax or something like that.