New 630 Safari tank

Discussion in '610/630' started by danbartol, Oct 12, 2010.

1. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Where did you get the fuel pump protector?I searched the force website but nothing comes up.
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Your GL Fandango should work fine. I have a similar Nomad Rider Sherpa tank bag and it fits great. Love the three outside pockets. GL needs to learn from its knockoff competitor.
    http://www.nomadrider.com/sherpatankbag.aspx

[IMG]

Even "The Man" liked it, haha

[IMG]

_
    pvduke likes this.
  3. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice... I won't open the can of worm of the Nomad vs. GL, but I will say that I support the local company!

Back on topic - does the tank bag set up like that pinch the fuel breather hose coming out of the gas cap?

Big Dom - do you know what material you used for that thicker gasket in case I have to go that route?

Thanks!
  4. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have always used a locking vented gas cap without breather hose but by eyeballing it I don't think hose would be pinched by my bag. Not sure for the Fandango bag though as I don't know the size difference.

_
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    IMHO go to a good car parts store and get some of the thickest gasket material for gas you can. Cut yourself a gasket and mount it up. Should seal better than an o-ring, be much more reliable than some tube sealer and you could make several for cheap. I think there is a closed cell fuel resistant 1/4 neoprene material that would compress and fix that issue. I don't know why they don't just come with something like that to solve this obvious issue. Additionally is there any way you could sand the pump area flat with a flat board and sand paper? Or are the inserts keeping you from doing so?
  6. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks - I'l check out a couple of places here and see what they've got. Always online available...
    In regards to the tank, I haven't really looked at it yet, just getting ideas in case of an issue. I may go with the thicker gasket to start with as I hate to have to stop and deal stuff like this while everything is pulled apart. I read of many folks having the sealing issue, so would rather not have to get everything buttoned up and then take it all apart again.

I'm planning on verifying that the mounting plate area is flat and will flatten it if it's not. The word is that the plastic material is roughly 3/16" thick (may be more at this spot?), so that shouldn't be an issue. In looking at the pic's posted above, it looks like when the bolts are tightened, they flex the plastic where they're "sucked" into the fuel pump flange, vs. the plastic areas between the bolts. I could see where this could create uneven pressure on the gasket.

I also may go with the metal quick-disconnect mod to the fuel pump just to take care of that too, though I haven't had any issues with the plastic ones. I like that protector plate shown at the fuel pump on one of the previous poster's pic's - I'd like to see how that mounts, as I've got a bunch of Alum. kicking around I can fab from.
  7. ICBiker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610, 08 TE450
    I can say for certain that the surface was this uneven before the bolts were tightened and you can not sand it any flatter due to the inserts already being flush with the plastic surface. The pump guard that you see is part of the safari tank kit for the 610, probably not included with the 630 due to the pump mounting location.
  8. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a Safari Tank for my 630. I was recently doing some wrenching on the bike and one of the threaded inserts for the cross-over bar on the front of the tank has spun. Any ideas on how to repair it? What epoxy will bond to the plastic of the tank? Where can you get replacement inserts? Thanks!
  9. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    That'll be a tough one. I would contact Justgastanks and/or Safari first before doing anything. They might be able to help now, but once you start experimenting they'll probably not be willing to.

I saw that potential weak point and put anti-seize on those inserts before install and everytime I remove the bolts. Don't overdue the torque either.

_
  10. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unfortunately, the problem started when I had some work done in a shop last Fall. I thought that the mechanic had it squared away. I always grease those bolts and start them by hand before tightening them. I sent a MSG to Aqualine a few days ago, no response so far.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    holy crap you need to bronze that seat and hang it on the wall!
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    that o-ring looks like it worked a treat. kelly's on the right track. corks good too if the surfaces are flat and hard.

try a gasket made from an HD tube if that gap ever gets any wider. make a few, pop one in the pack, plus some extra. HD tubes make killer gaskets!
  13. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Installed. Took a little work to tie my fuel pressure gauge into the new line. Trying some different 630 lettering. Man, how cool is an off-road bike w/ 300 mile range...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    WickedWill likes this.
  14. 630mick Husqvarna
    A Class

Anyone know what the mount threads and moulding are for on the left (from the front) bottom of the tank?
    Mick.
  15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    For the 610 fuel pump.

16. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Dynobob nice looking graphics.
    I just brought a black safari. Mustn't be popular i got it for $200 less than the list price.
    Hopefully with a bit of work it won't stay black for long.
  17. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah would like to hear how the stickers hold up.
  18. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cleaned the tank w/ windex and brake cleaner. We'll see. If I have to replace them once a year I will. Some here have had them on for a while...

19. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is just that I have seen some bubble and peel due to gas vapour leaching through the plastic (that is why most sticker kits are perforated).
  20. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
    Was that directly from Safari? At that type of discount, I am willing to play about with stickers.