New 630 Safari tank

Discussion in '610/630' started by danbartol, Oct 12, 2010.

1. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    Has anyone with the transparent tank had issues with yellowing? For instance, what do they look like after a year or so?
  2. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Yellow/orange. That's why I bought a white one the second time around.
  3. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    They look a little yellow when they have gas in them....otherwise, the material Aqualine uses yellows much more slowly than other 'natural' tanks I've had.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

A picture of the "Beluga Whale" at the Bay of Fundy, a trip made possible by the Safari tank!
    [IMG]
  5. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS, Ducati Multistrada

I have aslo installed the Leo Vicne Ti exhaust, and have just purchased a Safari tank in Australia. So I contacted Aqualine in Australia about the two side braces option, and this is their reply:

"Unfortunately we only make 1 type of cross-brace which suits the standard exhaust headers.
    We have had a customer who made/modified the cross-brace to suit his exhaust system. However I don't have any details. Perhaps this maybe what you saw on the website. Sorry I can't help more"

Very disappointing. Now I will have to try to make the side braces myself. Is your side braces made of Stainless Steel?
  6. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone with a Safari tank should consider buying a couple of stickers from EBAY. Here is what my tank looks like with the Husqvarna stickers on.

bike 258.jpg
    630mick, DYNOBOB, Fast1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Normal stickers usually do not last on plastic tanks as the plastic leaches fumes that make them peel off. Often the decals for these tanks are therefore a special thick perforated vinyl.
  8. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I also thought they wouldn't stay on, but for less than $10, I was willing to give it a try. I have been on a few rides, and so far they stay on firmly. I will let everyone know if they fall off.
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Let us know. My white tank is on the way. Similar to yours, I'm thinking a 9 inch "Husqvarna" where the Safari sticker is and 4x5" logo on lower part.

I mentioned this elsewhere, if you create an account with JustGasTanks and leave the tank in your shopping cart you will get a 10% off email the next day. $630 shipped (USA).

Topgun likes this.
  10. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the Safari mega-tank and the Leo full Ti as well.
    I made up braces out of 1" x 1/8" stainless.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

These pictures were sent to me by JustGasTanks and show a set of braces made up for a customer with the the Leo and Safari brace problem.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Fast1 likes this.
  11. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Your sizes are similar to mine. Here are the links from EBAY:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181026214946?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33071175...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

KLOC - Thanks for the photos. I made up similar brackets from stanless steel as well. Unfortunatley, I had to pay someone to make them up.

The Safari tank is around 6.3 kg vs stock tank of 4 kg. It is well build and comfortable to ride with.
  12. 630mick Husqvarna
    A Class

Where you guys all running the fuel line between both bottom sides of the tank? Mine is cable tied to the support bracket but seems a little exposed to damage. Any other ideas?:excuseme:
  13. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    I run mine behind the frame downtube. Pretty much straight across without much slack so it stays tucked away and protected. Are you running it in front of the downtube? Not sure why it is cabled tied to the support bracket if not.

_
    630mick likes this.
  14. 630mick Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the reply. Ive just re routed mine behind the frame downtube and away from the headers. Much more protected!:cheers:
  15. MOTOXNUT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC510 & 2012 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki DR650
    Fuel pump wont seal with new safari tank.

Has anyone else had similar issues. I have a new safari tank that i have fitted to my 2012 TE630 and i cant get the fuel pump to seal against the tank.
    It looks to me like the tank surface is not flat and the standard rubber sealing washer cant cope with the crests and falls.
    The Safari tank has 6 mounting holes for the fuel pump and the standard tank has only 5.
    Safari are telling me that the latest bikes had a 6 bolt mount for the fuel tank and i will need to buy this new mounting plate which has improved clamping force and use a type of silicone to seal it up.

It seems to me that i should not have to use sealant on a new fuel tank and worries me what will happen later on.
  16. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    That's curious, my tank just arrived and has 5 bolt holes. I think I'm going to apply a small bead of Permatex Right Stuff to the tank and let it dry 24 hours.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    B16 RIK likes this.
  17. ICBiker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610, 08 TE450
    This is a repeat of my reply from the other Safari thread but have added a couple of pictures of the first tank.

I put a safari on my TE610 and the sealing surface for the fuel pump was very uneven. At first it seemed to seal up fine but after a few days it started leaking gas all over the garage floor. After a few E-mails to JGT they sent a second tank and insisted that I put a new O-ring on with it. After buying a new $43 O-ring from Husky I found that the second tank's sealing surface was not much better than the first. I used the new O-ring and applied a gas tank sealant that I got at Autozone around the outside surface next to the O-ring and it has held for about 10 months with no leakage.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    I really like that sticker placement, thanks for the idea for my future safari tank!
    :thumbsup:
  19. Dr Klaun Husqvarna
    A Class

Interesting comments.

I just received my tank a couple of days ago, but work has kept me from getting to it just yet. What's the brand of "gas tank" seal that you're using on the pump flange? I've got a tube of Permatex "The Right Stuff", not sure if that's for this application or not.

I'd also be interested in where everyone's getting the decals - are these just the ebay stuff?

Lastly, what are any of you using for tank bags, if any at all? I've been using the GL Fandango, but it doesn't look like it will work with the tall hump of this tank. I'd really like something with a map case....

Thanks!
  20. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

A friend had exactly the same fuel pump sealing issue with his KTM 950SE Safari tank. If I recall correctly we cut an extra thick gasket.