How did you fit your fuel pump to your Safari tank?

Discussion in '610/630' started by JonDirt, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    There is a leak at the top of the fuel pump where it meets my new Safari tank (for a 610). I looked and there is no gasket listed in the parts catalog, even though when I called Just Gas Tanks the guy who answered said "you can't have plastic on metal, you need a gasket".

Seems to me that I need to do some combination of sanding, sealing, greasing and careful tightening, or maybe cut my own gasket out of cork gasket material? What have others found works? A bit urgent as my bike leaves for a trip tomorrow......
  2. Gav Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR 600 SRAD:Sold ZXR 400 H2:Sold
    I'd make my own gasket and use some sealant like universal blue.
    Should do the job.
  3. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Thanks. Suggestions on best gasket material / supplier? I've heard rubber breaks down.
  4. Gav Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR 600 SRAD:Sold ZXR 400 H2:Sold
    Probably a paper or cork style gasket from any motosupplies store should do the job.
    Make a template to fit around the pump, cut a gasket and then seal bot sides. (Tank, gasket, pump)

Something like this ? http://www.ramgaskets.com/gasket-materials/papers/
    Says its Oil/Petrol safe.
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    the original item was an o-ring, probably viton....IIRC
  6. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    You mean there is a gasket from huqvarna? My mechanic just messed with the bike, maybe he forgot
    It... Does it have a part no?
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    My dealer confirmed the o-ring.....should be in the parts catalog

ETA didn't see one in the parts catalog.

Still, I would call Bill's or Hall's to check. I know my 2008 TE250 had one.

Good luck. 8000H0184 shows as a gasket in parts on a 250 FI bike
  8. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    I looked at another 610 and it doesn't appear to have a gasket (or at least nothing is visible). I'll see if I can empty the tank and take a look.

Meantime, I ordered a harvey's diy gasket kit with 6x6" of cork 1/16" gasket material, and some Permatex super high tack gasket sealant. I checked out the regular high tack stuff too, but went for the super-high-tack version, I figured extra tack won't hurt (anyone else had experience with either product?). I won't be able to try it till Janaury (bike is in transit), I'll post a followup then.
  9. ICBiker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610, 08 TE450
    I put a safari on my TE610 and the sealing surface for the fuel pump was very uneven. At first it seemed to seal up fine but after a few days it started leaking gas all over the garage floor. After a few E-mails to JGT they sent a second tank and insisted that I put a new O-ring on with it. After buying a new $43 O-ring from Husky I found that the second tank's sealing surface was not much better than the first. I used the new O-ring and applied a gas tank sealant that I got at Autozone around the outside surface next to the O-ring and it has held for about 10 months with no leakage.
  10. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Thanks - thats very informative. You don't happen to know the part number of the O-Ring you ordered for the fuel-injected TE610? On my parts manifest for the 2008 it doesn't list a part number...
  11. jester6i Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
  12. ICBiker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610, 08 TE450
    I do not have the part number for the o-ring, call Hall's they will know. Mine is 09 TE610 but a friend of mine has an 08 and his had the o-ring as well. Knowing what I know now, I would save the money for the o-ring and just put the tank sealant on instead.
  13. Alexander 610 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2006
    Hi John
    Did you sort out your fuel tank , I have to fit a long range tank to my 610 09 model. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Alex
  14. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    My bike is in transit and so I haven't been able to get to it to fix it. I will know more details in January 2.

Speaking to several mechanics, its really important to check the plastic surface where the fuel pump meets the tank is as flat and clean as possible. They suggested sanding it and cleaning it first. Also, it may help to order a new O-Ring gasket to ensure it has no cracks in it - you can see the gasket in this image: http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st2/9100416.jpg.

As an added measure, I purchased some cork gasket material, and two Permatex products: Super High Tack Gasket Sealant and Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant liquid (see above). I don't know which of these I'm going to need, I'll post a followup in around January 5.

Jon
  15. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    I tried both Permatex Super High Tack and Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket with a new gasket and neither fixed the leak. So I took my TE to a bike shop and they sanded down the brass threaded inserts for the bolts towards the front of the tank, and then used Wurth Super Etc-Silicone Black sealant - its dry for now. The website for Wurth does not appear to list fuel as an application for this product but since it seems to be working Im riding for now. It turns out that 'Permatex High Tack" was probably the one from Permatex to use, it explicitly lists fuel pumps as an application. Will post another update after a month of riding.