My Take On Converting 630 Cans To Flow-throughs

Discussion in '610/630' started by RDTCU, Aug 7, 2011.

1. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    I am in the process of gutting the mufflers and noticed the cats are easy to get at if anyone wanted to remove them without disturbing the rest of the exhaust. They can be drilled out using an 1 5/8" hole saw from the inlet side of the muffler. They are 3 1/2" in so you may need a bit extender if the drill is not long enough to reach.
    Looks like a 3.75 lb weight savings with cat and inner muffler removed. Left the spark arrestor intact so I don't burn anything down. Hardly worth the effort for less than 4 lbs! I guess a single exhaust is the way to go but $600 or $700 is hard to swallow.
  2. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

thats 4 lbs man.. loose 4 more by getting a small battery, go tubeless if you have an sms..thats 10 lbs..

im doing mines right now.. but i think its worth the possible power gain.. just thinking how restrictive it is sucks.. 2 cat converters..wtf..!
  3. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

The best part of converting the mufflers to flow-through is the heat - you can touch my pipe with your bare hand while you are riding. No more melted saddlebags...
  4. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    +1
    Best gain from this mod. Plus a little extra punch.
  5. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

is there a noticeable punch?.. I got one can done today.. no time to finish the other.. I weighed the metal canister.. 3.2 lbs.. adding the muffler pack and core.. i would say you would loose about 4-5 lbs.. hopefully with it cored out i wont get a surge on steady throttle.. have to read adjust the jd fuel setting.
  6. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Mine runs smooth without any further tuning. Baffle out of the airbox, O2 senser blanked, cans gutted. Runs like a clock.
    Yes, a noticable bump in power. The best gain is that the cans now run cool enough to touch.

One day I'll probly install the JD tuner just to fine tune it. Certainly not unhappy with the way it performs as is though. My understanding is you can get a further bump in power by tuning it, especially if you punch out the airbox and install to a single exhaust - it flows a bit better and thus will lean it out a bit.

I like the two cans, the factory spark arrestors are all that now reduce flow. They are also very quiet with the straight-thru perf pipe wrapped with glass packing.
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    But... can you pull 4th gear power wheelies? ;)
    Seriously though, you need the JD, you just don't know it yet...
  9. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I had a hunch that was probably the case. :busted:
  10. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yours pulls 4th gear power wheelies with the gutted cans and the JD Tuner???? :eek:
  11. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Haha, nooo... that's a long-running joke from another thread... :p
  12. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dude.. is was seriously thinking something might be wrong with my bike :lol:
  13. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

well I tested out the decated 630 today.. (almost sounded like ducati 630 ewww..) So far I have a jd fuel controller.. and a few holes in the air box.

I could not adjust the surge on steady a throttle around 4k rpm.. before hollowing out the pipes.. I had a feeling it was due to the restrictions of the pipes.. no 2nd gear power wheelies.. i tried.. though first gear comes up a lot easier.. i mean alot.. the on and off throttle is alot smoother.. im sure this was hoe husky imagined the 630 to preform and so did i. the mods were not ment for wheelies.. wheelies were just a way to guage the power.. ok ok.. maybe a bit of it is for wheelies.

im sure with a 14t sprocket the wheel will come up on power alone. guys if you have not done this or put on a pipe you are missing out.. the only thing i did not like abot the drz400sm i had was the power and brakes.. the 630 cures it all..

BTW ignore the punctuation and fragment.. im typing 1 hand
  14. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    BTW ignore the punctuation and fragment.. im typing 1 hand
    Are you wheelying [sp] with one hand also ?
  15. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    That has been mentioned to me and I thought so too. :thumbsup:
  16. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe he was doing a wheelie while writing this message from his smartphone... that'd be badass :D
  17. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

update!! though i like the performance overall with the decat pipes.. i think the oem stock sounds alot better.. decat almost sounds like it has a leak. and im sue there are no leaks. i seald the front and end caps.... i don't regret the mod for power.. its a huge difference.. but the sound kinda bugs me.. especially when it sounded better stock.. just a thought.. FYI i used fmf packing material, and i wrapped the core tight as can be with wire on top.

it also bumped my idle 1800 to an additional 150-200 rpm at idle. i will have to adjust.. but im sure its a good expected thing.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    With out spilling the big can of Fosters! :cheers:
  19. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    That may be your problem, if you pack the muffler TOO tight, it doesn't let the packing do it's job and it may sound more raspy and tiney. I packed mine more loosely and only used masking tape to hold it together, if that tells you anything. With muffler packing, more doesn't always mean better or quieter...
  20. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

you think it will loosen up in time? i would hate to rerivit.. i wish i could hear how yours sound..