My Take On Converting 630 Cans To Flow-throughs

Discussion in '610/630' started by RDTCU, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

But if it last 2x as long as a $80 tire it's worth it. That's one less tire change and the cost of shipping. You might even get 3x the life, at that point you're saving a lot.
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Actually 119.95 plus free shipping.
  3. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Only if you ride a KLR650, haha. $130 for the Husky.

I don't want to hijack this into a tire thread but I strongly disagree. Read the reviews for this tire, you will not get 2X more life than even a $60 tire, 3X is impossible. Real life will probably put it equal to or give you maybe a hundred miles or so more. I'd love to hear reviews otherwise though for someone using it on our bike.

_
  4. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    E-09 non-Dakar 119.95, Dakar-130.00
  5. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Half way thru the can conversion.My stock pipes in Australia don't have a arrestor ,got these USA ones to cut up.Want to remove the spark arrestor.Has anyone removed the lot,fibrepacking in the end cap+ arrestor.It's the lower line in the pic or am i better off just cutting the arrestor,higher line?

[IMG]
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    If you're not doing a lot of dry brush riding, I'd cut at the lower line and take the whole thing out.
  7. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I'm not sure what's inside that end cap, but if you cut the sparky off you'll have to figure a way to hold the perf pipe you're going to run into that end cap. You may have to have something fabricated like RDTCU did in post one.

I have about 4K on the bike now and have been very happy with the gutted dual cans. It's been a great bike and is ready for another 4K. Absolutely no issues.
  8. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I followed this post along and everything worked out great. Thanks for the post and the links for the screen. I cant wait for the snow to melt and try it out on the trails.

Randy
  9. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Glad it worked out for you. I've been very satisfied with with this mod. I am still running the stock ecu map so I probably don't have quite the power some are getting out of theirs, and I suspect mine leans out after about 5500rpm. But I get 50mpg and it runs satisfactorily. At some point I would like to put JD tuner on to bump up the top end.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I need to go along with you. When using these bikes as travelers/explorers, range becomes more important than high power output.
  11. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Last fall we did the White Mountain Research Station ride out of Bishop. Left camp for Bishop, up the mountain to 12,356'. The station is publicly funded so is required to be open at least one day a year - so yep, Sept 2nd was the only day last year and we were there.

I got back down the mountain to Bishop and filled 'er up, 105 miles took 2.2 gallons of gas!!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    TE 450 Pilot likes this.
  12. RaduTango Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS 630
    Good job there bud, thanks for sharing.
    I was just thinking, would it be possible to clear the inside of the center core instead of replacing it with perforated tubing? This would eliminate some welding and enlarging the end. I'm thinking of doing the job, now that you've opened the road...
  13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You can get the cats out, but to get the baffles out, it would be easier to just remove the whole center section. If you then leave the cans empty and the end cap as-is, you're still going to have some pretty significant backpressure. You can always try it and see what happens, then add the perf tube later if you want, but i don't know that you'll be happy with just empty cans on there.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I didn't do any welding, left the sparky in the endcap so it's all legal, 2" perforated ss pipe internal wrapped with fiberglass. Cans are cool, quiet, nice and mellow. Almost 6K miles now, very happy with the mod.

I did pop a couple of the aluminum rivets on the front cap after dropping the bike. It came with SS rivets which is an entirely different process and cost prospect. Just put some new aluminum ones in there and it's been fine.

Finally did get the iBeat setup done with Dynobobs tune settings and there's plenty of power there - way more than you can use offroad. GPS above showing 84, I may have hit 92 going back and that's as fast I dare go on this giant dirtbike. :eek:
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I clipped 110 with factory gearing on the SMS, now it would rev out at about 104 with the larger rear sprocket...

Don't know if I'd enjoy that on knobbies...
  16. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Uh, no. At about 90 it starts getting really skittish. And it's vibrating like a paint mixer. LOL.
  17. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Have had mine up to 99mph on hway and around 80mph on dirt.This was after can gutting and fitting the bazzaz zfi and building maps.I much prefer to enjoy the ride and spend most of the time sweeping so don't see them speeds often.Do see a few blokes go down trying to keep the pace up in the dirt.That ain't fun.
  18. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    Here is my take on gutting the cans for a 2011 SMS630. There is no spark arrestor in these cans and I removed the CATs last year. Bike is fully uncorked with a JD tuner so this is the last cheap HP mod available without opening up the engine. I spent about $60 total. After some agonizing, I kept the stock outlet pipe size. I wanted to do what RDTCU did but left that as a plan B for later. This mod is surprisingly easy and the second can took less than an hour once I had figured out the first. I bought 2ea 18" lengths of 2" perforated 304SS tubing off ebay. Mine came from from england (cheaper shipping). I have only ridden it a couple of times with the pipes but there has been a tremendous increase in throttle response. Off idle wheelies are the norm. It is definitely noisier but is not objectinable and is not as noisy as many aftermarket pipes.

1. Start by marking the end cap and the ss bands under the rivets so you know their position for reasembly, then drill out all of the rivets with a 3/16" drill. Punch the remnants into the muffler interior.
    Husky Pipe Mod 010.JPG

2. clamp the muffler in a vise (use some wood) and with a stick inserted in the inlet, knock the inner part of the muffler forward. Once the outlet end cap has been knocked outwards cut around the periphery (but not though the whole thing) at 1/2" upstream of the weld line. Once the end cap is off chisel the two welds and remove the baffle plate and the inner packing. You could almost skip this if you don't mind having the old rivets bouncing around in there forever.
    Husky Pipe Mod 012.JPG Husky Pipe Mod 014.JPG Husky Pipe Mod 015.JPG
  19. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    3. Cut the endcap pipe leaving 3/4" after the welds that used to hold the baffle plate. You need to build a transition of some type from the 2" perforated pipe to the 1-1/4" outlet. The ideal is to replace the outlet. I found that a 1-1/2" ss pipe nipple and threaded coupling was perfect. The nipple when cut in half at 15 degrees is a perfect size and the OD of the coupling will insert into the 2" tubing. My plan was to use only a 1/4" section of the coupling to save weight. I ended up not doing this as I didnt trust my welding skills to do a perfect job. Maybe later.
    Husky Pipe Mod 016.JPG Husky Pipe Mod 024.JPG
    Instead I build an offset cone adapter using a free program called "setup-cones205". Here is a scale template .pdf for download. I printed the layout onto sticky paper then pasted it onto some SS stock, cut out then rolled. It was not too difficult. I made a few paper ones before hand to optimize the cone size.

Attached Files:

20. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    4. Here is the cone spot welded to the perforated tubing and it inserts over the stock outlet pipe. I used the offset to center the perf tubing in the muffler. I had originally planned to find some SS shot glasses or similar kitchen type item to use as cones but didn't.
    Husky Pipe Mod 004.JPG
    Now knock out the remainder of the muffler to get at the inlet cap. The place to cut is 1-1/4" from the rivet hole centerline. After the end is cut off then cut off the internal pipe (that holds the cat) flush. The 2" perf pipe fits inside this but is a loose fit. I couldnt find an exhaust shop that would expand the perf tubing to fit tightly (as some have done) so I used a ss pipe fitting with a perfect OD and got a machinist to make some centering rings from it.
    I Husky Pipe Mod 019.JPG Husky Pipe Mod 020.JPG