1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Decatting the TE511 Muffler...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Good resources, thanks. Forgot there are lots o Fastenall stores around now.
  2. JamieHC Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Do we know if the Akro slip on muffler provided with the bikes here in Australia have catalytic converters in them?
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Got any more pictures of the internal baffles? I may want to shorten and decat my pipe soon as the bike gets here...
  4. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Did this today....exhaust sounds tinny and metallic sounding. Not smoothe and deep. Unless I dropped a rivet in the middle of the can or something.

By the way this is a super pain in the ass. If you decat + remove the spark arrestor, the exhaust is as loud as any bike I have had with a loud slip on. With the SA in it sounds a bit louder and throatier than stock.

I have a fmf slip on on the way so figured id experiment. Also back to back runs the spark arrestor did not seem to take much if any power away. But the bike is way louder! I am leaving the SA in.
    12NengPSG likes this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The stock 511 sounds like gardening equipment.
    oregonsage and Motosportz like this.
  6. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    After a long ride yesterday I can definitely say there was huge top end power gains.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Do you have map3?
  8. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Map 2 only. I ordered a pc v and auto tune. I would love to send the ecu in to get map 3 but cant do the downtime quite yet.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Nice to have all three, if there is an issue in the pcv, it automatically reverts to stock ecu programming.
  10. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    hmmm. Once I get my front wheel changed on my ducati, I will be on it, so plenty of time to modify the te :)
  11. BigUtSwede Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 txc 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 kx250
    Thanks for working all this out for us.

I finally did mine yesterday. I used the sawzall to cut the welds off the thin shield. After pulling the shield away, it's much easier to just cut through the first layer all the way around. Just cut right in front of the weld bead. Don't try to cut through the cat. It's a separate tube assembly, so you really only have to cut through one layer of metal not two. Once I cut all the way around, the cat tube just fell out as one piece.

I haven't had a chance to take my bike out yet but I can only guess it will have better roll-on and high end. It still sounds great with a slightly deeper rumble at idle. I would guess the cat is a quarter to a third of the total weight of the pipe.

12. Muchmore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1600GTL
    Just did mine today, holy cow how time consuming. I do love how it has a deeper sound now without being louder over all.
    BigUtSwede likes this.
  13. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I did this before getting a fmf slip on. The fmf is ridiculously loud, but the power gains are serious. Hard balance.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Hey, for the guys that cut them out with a zip saw (the direction I am heading), what TPI did you find worked best?

All I had were cheapy Harbor Tools blades, so I ordered up some quality extended life blades (Bosch I think) that were bimetal from 16-24 TPI. I dotn have a ton of metals cutting experiences, so not sure if there is any finesss or if I just grab a blade and go at it! Ie do I have a helper cool with some WD-40 and treat it like drilling?

I think the only metal I have zipped in the past is rebar. Any other cutting I did with a torch and there is no way I can do this cut with the torch.
  15. Muchmore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1600GTL
    I just left the housing in and hollowed out the converter. Others have stated there is more weight to lose if you remove the housing but I simply broke the insides out and filed it clean inside.
  16. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449

So it is some kind of ceramic right? I have only seen the insides of catalysts for wood stoves - never the inside of an automotive although I assume the process is quite similar.

Not that this has stopped me in the past, but have any third nipples appeared as of yet? I am guessing the materials in the catalyst are not stuff one finds at Wal-mart...
    Muchmore likes this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I attempted that but that stuff was really hard to remove.
  18. Muchmore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW K1600GTL
    I used a great big 3/4" or bigger wood drill bit then a flat screw driver to break it up and pry it away from the edges. Long, long process no doubt but it became very smooth after a wire wheel on a Dremel to clean out in inside diameter of the pipe. The insides are a kind of aluminium honeycomb coated in ceramic, looks just like a smaller metallic wasp nest. No third nipples but I do pee my pants when the microwave turns on "cousin Eddie" :D
    bigmo likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep, see my original post here with pix.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Rather than going to the trouble of de-catting the oem big can muffler, I think a better option is to add baffles to an inexpensive silencer like the powercore4 and shed 5lbs of high center of gravity weight. Baffles such as half mood shaped wedges can be easily welded into the silencer at alternate angles as well as a smaller diameter insert. There is always a compromise between output power and noise. The big can is heavy and stifles the power considerably.
    12NengPSG likes this.