630 Luggage

Discussion in '610/630' started by Tagati, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Very Cool!!

Yes, I agree.......the side stand needs some MAJOR help! :D I hate the thing.......yet nobody has any answers.:excuseme:
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes we do! You´ve just got to get used to it.
  3. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    If you're hauling a lot of weight as an adventure dualsport then you might consider a center stand. Cigar Mike has them now and they are quite reasonable.

I will normally find a rock or a high spot to place the kickstand foot. I hate the way it swings down so much lower than it's final resting point, so you have to tip the bike away to get it down and then it leans way over into it. KTM's are known for crappy weak kickstands, this one is even worse. How the hell do they do that? At least it's a nice cast alloy piece, otherwise I'd be temped to rip it off and toss it. NOT!
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I continue to work on the sidestand, especially now since I temporarily mounted Cigar Mike's centerstand and find that the side stand cannot be deployed with the centerstand up. It just gives me more determination to get the sidestand modified. I bought the 610 side stand and it looks like it needs to be kicked out a few more degrees (cut, bend and reweld at the mounting lug), lengthen slightly (22mm tube is hard to fine!) and fab some reinforcing plates at the back and front to be welded to the lug and along the stand length for 5 or 6 inches. Larger foot. The stand will swing clear of everything, and not swing "down" so much either. The foot needs to be 3 inches or so outboard of the end of the foot peg and I can get it there. It should be fairly simple to just build an entirely new stand with stronger tube, reinforcing at the lug, and a new machined lug from solid stock. If I just had some machine tools in the garage! The other thing needed is a positive, and strong, stop for the stand when down. I'll fix that by welding an extension onto the back of the left footpeg bracket. The stand will lock against that and be fine for using the peg to get onto the bike over luggage, etc.

That's my "plan" and if it works I'll post. As soon as my suspension gets back from LTR, and my subframe gets back from the welder, I will put things back together and get to work on the sidestand. The centerstand will be a great aid, but out in the wilds, stopping to open gates, etc, or stopping to help someone who is down, the sidestand is a necessity. It would be such a simple thing for the factory to get it right to start with!
  5. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

From the pics I'm seeing it looks like I may be one of the few people who haven't removed their passenger pegs, but has anyone else noticed how bad the sidestand rubs on the left passenger peg bar? It's aluminum versus steel and the sidestand is losing - there is already a divot at least 1/4" deep in the aluminum.

No one has mentioned the wolfman duffle bags. I run a Ridgeline duffle for daily commuting. It will hold a lot of stuff - full change of clothes, my volleyball sneakers, volleyball and laptop and carries it well. It has built-in bungies that work well. I would not do hardcore offroading with it unless I uses external straps, but the bungies are sufficient for commuting as well as fireroads and light doubletrack (all part of my commute :) )
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I have chosen to leave my passenger pegs on for emergency extraction of a fellow rider in the case of a failed bike. Just another alternate to a tow strap. If you have to haul someone a bunch of miles then the extra footpegs become a necessity. A fellow owner donated his u-bolt brackets for the passenger pegs as I used my originals for my subframe reinforcing plates.

I hold the stand with my toe as it retracts, otherwise it swings up with a bang and slams into the footpeg bracket. Mine just has some scratched paint on the footpeg bracket, no wear on the sidestand yet.
  7. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    My kickstand will hit my swing arm if I'm not careful. I had a scratch in my swing arm from it when the bike was delivered from the dealer. I ground down part of the foot to help with clearence, but it still will hit.
  8. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine are still on also for potential extraction of another rider should a bike have severe mechanicals or rider is injured and just to haul around a pax when zipping around town.

Also those of you that are experiencing interference with the side stand,, make sure that side stand fastener is torqued and not loose.
  9. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Wolfman racks are on with Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags I had from a previous bike.
    The racks fit well and will be a snap to remove.
    I've got an overnighter planned later in the month and should have plenty of room now.[IMG]
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  10. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Yay John, looks great. Those bags look camo in this pic. They must be just dusty.

I guess I need to install my DBZ setup, aux tank, and get a pic. Seems everyone that isn't riding this weekend is tinkering on their bikes.

BTW, Berg said the cross bar (that is obviously setup for a bike with a rear fender!) was put into the design for hard bags but not required for the soft bags. Check it out.

I'll pencil in the LA ride to the plains as well. Not sure if we're going out to Quartzite that weekend or not.

I spent some time over the holiday overhauling my tent. It's an old north face and the fly was getting shot, was able to salvage it though.

Happy New Year everybody!
  11. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

I'll probably leave the crossbar. I think it's important to remember when the racks and bags are installed when riding. A crash will most likely result in some damage. Hopefully not to the sub-frame.
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think you are right. 'Just received my racks and made a quick mock-up on my bare sub-frame. The aluminum is just too soft to eliminate the cross bar and when going down it will surely help distribute the impact. It's not nearly as unsightly as I initially feared it would be.
  13. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

What is the tube diameter of the oval bag mount portion. My guess would be 3/4".
  14. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    Has anyone with the Wolfman rack and single sided exhaust on the 630 tried mounting the Rotopax on the INSIDE of the right side rack? Is there enough clearance to do so? I remember this being talked about as a possibility to reduce the width of the bike when using both Rotopax and Wolfman bags, since the rack was designed with dual exhaust in mind.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    To clear the plastic side panel, and probably the air snorkel, the Rotopax would have to be mounted low. Then there might be interference with the swingarm and axle nut on full compression. Looks too tight to me at first glance.
  16. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    What if one were willing to trim the right side panel? Any interference w/ pax handles or tail racks?
  17. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just took a closer look, and here is what you'd have to do, based on the Wolfman racks. The rotopax mouning plate doesn't let the mount go low enough to clear the grab handle so you would need to lengthen it on the bottom, to extend below the rack maybe one inch. The side panel could be trimmed ok I think. The axle nut appears to clear the inside face of the gas can by about 3/4". It looks like it would work, but this is just an eyeball calculation.
  18. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks!
  19. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

20. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Here a few phone shots of the Wolfman racks.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'll post a few more and have a better feel on how they work after next weekend.
    Magus likes this.