What's your race training program?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Huskynoobee, Dec 15, 2014.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  2. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There may be truth to that...and sadly I have had that work for me a few times!!!
  3. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    One thing to add...don't just eat some donuts and slam coffee on the way to the race. A real breakfast of some substance is highly recommended. Bonking sucks riding 250+ lbs of bike with just 10 miles to go...trust me!
    Johnrg likes this.
  5. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

View attachment 51743 Race on the ice all winter with my GNCC bike. Unadilla clay still on the bottom of the YZ. LOL. WER suspension works on the ice too, no lie. CCI01182015_0002.jpg
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well I hate to admit it but I was wrong This weekend King of the Moto got me again I got winded and tired and that made go slower and not make the cut off time for the afternoon race. Yes I know it is billed as the hardest race in the USA and some say the world and I am old but I so want another finish
    So I am talking to people in the know and tomorrow starts a new work out program OMG Me some one who has never worked out or trained will start. Why because KOM finish is my next goal 363 days to go I will be going back out to the KOM area a lot so any one who want to join me let me know.
    LandofMotards and Norman Foley like this.
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    John, Destry Abbott and DA8 Training will get you there.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Good for you, hope you accomplish your goal!
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Just don't overeat, it's worsethen not eating lol
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You are not wrong Ajax... You have past results that prove it ....

Hate to say it, but reality is, you and me both are getting older ... After a certain age, things change, both mental and physical. I can not run 17 minutes for 5Ks ever again, no matter the training. I'm too old to take that kind of training any more; my body will break down ... I can't run a sub 36 minute 10K, because, I can't train that hard now at age 57. That's life, that's reality .... Reality might suck but that's all we really have; anything else is probably fiction.

--

I'll say the same thing to you now ... Don't over-do it at the beginning of what ever you decide to do .. Over do it and you risk getting an injury ... About the only cure for a sports injury, is to stop working out or at least alter your program. Stop working out and you lose what fitness you have and fitness leaves your body about ~5x quicker than you acquire it. In the case of older people, you lose it and probably will never get it all back because the human body just will not come back always. When I broke my collar bone a few yrs back and sat on the couch 6 weeks, I lost lots of conditioning and I've never got it back ...Not that I can't (maybe) but the work load is more than I want to endure, again, for the ~20th comeback in my life from a sports related injury. I 'give' but I'm not quitting ... I do need to understand what my body needs though to keep me fit enough to ride with guys 20+ yrs younger than me... ( I got a small MX race Sunday :))

Good luck and I'm betting you'll have great results ...

--

Simple sugars are ~immediately available to the body and they leave just as ~quick ... This stuff here is getting into the blood-sugar levels in your blood side of the house ... Sugar can cause bad heath issues ... Lots of people think it should be regulated to help stop all the health issues our society pays so much for. Health insurance company may not included here ... Their jobs and lively hood depends on all of us being in bad health ... How's that for a business plan? They benefit from us being sick ...Git it? It's our reality and just another sad joke played out at this point in time...
  11. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I did have a power bar that I intended to eat before the race, but was running late and had to boogie 1 1/2 miles to the start line and totally forgot it...
    TemecuCoastie and LandofMotards like this.
  13. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    I had my usual Shakeology Sunday morning before the race - tossed it up 20 min later. :D
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

I'm getting older. I can feel it. At 47 I'm starting to feel the effects more the "next day."
    I've torn an ACL (skiing the palisades in flat light at Sugar Bowl) and had it repaired surgically. During recovery, I stopped all my fitness stuff and never totally got it back.
    I have a torn meniscus in the other knee (fly fishing, of all things, wading in a back country river, my boots lost grip on the slimy rocks and I had to recover myself at all costs lest I flood my waders and be swept down-stream).
    I've broken my tail bone twice once fly fishing, once mountain biking.
    I've broken countless other bones and torn many ligaments, mountain/road biking, in-line skating, skiing, dirt biking, martial arts, weight lifting -- never had any of them fixed.
    I'm battered and spend most of my days in pain.

Problem is my brain refuses to register that pain when I'm out there and having fun. I don't pace myself, and I loose myself in the moment and punch the throttle to get over the slippery rock step up on a narrow mountain trail with a 50 foot near vertical drop off to one side. In my head I know that at some point in my life my body would be able to suffer the consequences of my mistakes. I still haven't come to grips with the fact that those days are gone. I'm willing to bet that is still the case for some of us here in this thread??
  15. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I had an ACL reconstruction years ago. In 07 when I bought a trail bike, to ride around with my kids, I was on some pretty heavy pain medication for the same knee. When I got bit by the bug again that same year, and bought a motocross bike, I was thinking I was probably crazy for doing it, and might have to sell it when the pain became unbearable. I haven't taken any medication since 08, and almost never feel any pain. Last year I tore the ACL in the other knee in the first race of the season. By mid season I hadn't missed a single race and was no longer in any pain or discomfort. I'm 53 and IMO, it's all because of conditioning.
    letitsnow and Cosmokenney like this.
  16. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Today was day 3 of a new program Before work I go with the wife and the dog and run up some hills. Every day so far has been better BUT the wife and the dog still smoke me It was 85 today in so calif so soon it will be to hot
    ray_ray and Bomber1b like this.
  17. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    At my age this works well enough

Attached Files:

ray_ray likes this.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    First and foremost, good luck to all you hard-chargers out there who are looking to improve their health ... Keep looking for that first real improvement. That should inspire and show you that you are on the right track. AJ, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the view ...

--

Found one of these toys today ... I'll have to check a little more on what it does but I'm about ready to commit myself to a valid attempt at getting some of my riding fitness back ... This could add a little structure to my life and I'll admit I need some struct.

The issue with an attempt to actually train in some specific manner and go forward with your fitness, is that, once a commitment is made here, most all rides and exercise work you do, should all mesh together to achieve the highest results from your efforts. Meaning, a hard day of riding OR a hard day of exercise must be followed up by a total rest day or a recovery, easy day of working just to pump blood for supplying oxygen to the muscles for their recovery. Meaning, discipline and desire are required. Anything less may hinder your results. There is the case of working a specific muscle group one day hard and another group hard the following day ... Don't presently think I can handle too hard or too often of work but this is what the monitor will tell me about how hard my heart is working on each daily excursion ..

Next, every time I hang another device off my tail when riding, such a the helmet cam, it's a distraction from riding. This device possibly could change lots ... Meaning, if it's a hard day and I'm riding, I gotta ride hard enough to keep the beats up for an extended period. And on a recovery day, I gotta ride slow enough to keep the beats down low so that my body recovers... One or more of these guidelines might be difficult to accomplish over a period of time ... Discipline is the word here. Not sure how disciplined I am at this age now to achieve real results. Plus all the knowledge gained from running and training will need to be translated over to riding; I'm not gonna do any more running...too hard of work and too hard on my body. So it will be a little brain work involved also over time to get dialed in...

If anyone has had a MIO brand or any other strapless monitor, how was the performance? This one is only ~$65 and that sounds pretty inexpensive to me. So I'm not sure of the quality but it does give me the option.
    108_0513.JPG
  19. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Ray, get one that integrates with your iPhone. Combine that with an app that tracks your training and it will change your fitness approach for ever.
  20. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thats why a guy has to find a balance. I sometimes think just like a ufc fighter who can get injured during training before a crucial fight and then not be able to fight. You have to find that balance with working out etc... I worry to much riding increases my chance of injury and I question on if it makes me faster then just training with minimal extra riding. Around four years or so ago when I was pulling those 12th 13th overalls I felt like the pace I was riding was very very critical and a mistake could be very detrimental to my life. The problem with me is I jumped out of airplanes in the army and to me unless I am near death or something bad happening then I am not having fun......sick in a way....... Anyways I bought a nice elliptical machine and I'm doing 25 minutes a day along with a home exercise gym (I'm also using) along with hand squeezers and I am doing crunches as well and not quite down to my four year ago 165 but I am back down to 169 and looking foreword to my entry into the super senior class I never thought I would ride..... and of course I plan on winning unless my 4cs forks are as bad as everyone says:cheers: