What's your race training program?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Huskynoobee, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    So what do you do to train for races? I'm basically committed to trying at least one race this year at the tender age of just 41. I feel that I'm currently in good enough shape for entering sportsman class in the Western series NHHA season as it's only one loop or around 15 miles.

However, I'm fairly certain that it will only serve to make me want to enter a full race after I get a taste. That means stepping up to doing 100 miles, and all in the same day.:p Currently I try to get 20-30 miles of cycling and a few miles of run/walk in each week (me no like run:thumbsdown:) and try for two days of roost training a month on my Husky. I'm going to start a strength/toning program after returning from snowboarding over the new year as well. My diet varies from good to less than optimal (it is the Holiday season right now though:cheers:).

So...what do you do to get ready for a race?
  2. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Strictly weight training and riding.
    I have three days a week that I can work out and split the days between back/biceps/shoulders, chest/triceps/shoulders, and legs/abs.
    It's my opinion that cardio is a waste of time. It's so popular because it's easy.
  3. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Not specific to motorcycles but my advice is... Race miles daily, so that racing feels like your daily training ride. Fill in with appropriate all over workouts. 1 day off a week to rest or as needed :thumbsup: ( Paddle or SUP surf 2-3 days and trail run 2-3 days 1k elevation. Does my feet/legs core/shoulders/arms/hands good for riding). I am not a gym person so I do what I can outdoors... Cardio good for old folks/circulation and being comfortable at a high heart rate for extended periods of stress, like any race start and taper as the race goes on.
  4. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I disagree that cardio is a waste.... it helps to keepyour heart rate at a good level and not peter out.... the best training IMO is riding.... when you ride dont wander around and stop.... get a loop and ride it hard, get use to making mistakes and recovering from them.... looking for passing locations.....
    Norman Foley and jmetteer like this.
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You guys are funny. I have only been to the gym once in my life about 25 years ago and said forget this I will go riding. I never work out, never do any type of push up lift weight ect But what I do is ride almost every weekend. I have rode all my life and have never stopped. I have never smoked or drank and try to eat good. Not fancy health food just good food
    In the summer when it is over 110 here I go hiking with my wife up in the Mountains or we go ride our beach cruiser at the beach. I walk a lot at my job but that is about it
    What you need to do is come do a race then you will be hooked the view from last place is better then the one you see in the stands. You guys will trail ride all day no problem so you can do it I am 58 and still doing all the Nationals
    Last year I finished KOM DEAD LAST but I finished This year I almost finished Next year which is in a few weeks I will try again Bottom line get on your bike and have some fun
  6. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I normally go to mcdonalds the morning of. Everything before race day is even less healthy :)
  7. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Best advice right there.... ride ride ride....
  8. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I would look at what the top racers do before saying cardio is a waste of time...

The best thing you can do is more of what you are "training" for. The best way to improve conditioning for riding, ride more. That can be cost/time/risk prohibitive though so augmenting that with some cardio and weights can be a big help for most people. I don't see many top guys posting pictures that show them looking like they are Mr universe, they are out on the bicycle. The big thing about cardio is how it affects your recovery time, the better your cardio the faster your heart rate comes down after maxing out.

I was riding my best when I was hitting the gym twice a week for spin class, light weight training and riding two or three days a week doing some MX/trials/offroad. That is a lot of time to commit to a hobby though.

Now I just ride once a week and jump on a road bicycle once a month or so when I am bored. That keeps me in good enough shape to ride decent when I go to a race. A big part of that is knowing what you can handle, if you are riding a 2 hour hare scramble it helps to have a good idea what pace you can ride at for 2 hours. I have finished ahead of many faster riders because I didn't get caught up in the race mode early and burn myself out. Most offroad races a solid steady pace will give you a good result in your class.

Later,
  9. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    I prefer to circuit train with a knife,fork and a spoon.:popcorn:
    DTX915, Bomber1b, robertaccio and 3 others like this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Russ,
    and some type of adult beverages as well!!!
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    RynoPower Gym......this is what it takes to be world class, me i eat my rynopower supplements ride a little bicycle and moto every weekend. weekend warrior style.and like Jake said race smarter not harder.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmjQJmQJyNU
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    When you have as much time to train as a professional top racer, then you may have the opportunity to throw some cardio in your routine.
    Most of us have very little training time available and have to maximize what little we have. . Cardio can be part of a complete routine, but if your time is limited, or you're trying to lose weight, it should be your last priority. While no exercise is a complete waste of time, cardio comes as close as any.
    If you really want cardio that works, lift weights faster.

Riding throughout the year would be nice, but for some of us, that's not a possibility.
  14. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Yeah we must have different ideas on what makes us ride better, I do my best at not having to lift heavy things when riding my dirt bike. What I do lots of is small quick movements with an elevated heart rate. Good cardio works best for me to stay riding at my top level while maintaining an elevated heart rate for an extended period without getting tired. For me muscles are not required, I know this because I have none. At this point I am 6'3" and 180#, the most I have weighed in my life. I couldn't win a weight lifting match or arm wrestling match to save my life but I ride a dirt bike fairly well.

And you can't forget, no muscles no arm pump. :D That is what I tell all my friends that lift weights and struggle with arm pump.

I do agree with you on the losing weight part, the more muscle you have at that point the quicker you can lose weight.

Wintertime riding can be fun...

Later,
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dave Daum Kings padddle boards. (old friend of a friend)
    Johnrg likes this.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Awesome viddy jmetteer. :thumbsup:

In reality we should all be exercising in some way weather we race or not and not looking at it as an added time expense to our hobby. I use racing as an excuse to exercise. Exercising in any form, is still exercise. The very bright side of all this is that riding your bike is definitely good for your body (usually) and soul.

I did find that if I ride a good loop a couple days before a race, I get waaay better results. It is going to be the biggest part of my program from now on, but my biggest fear is damaging the bike before the race and having to do a panic repair.
    jmetteer and LandofMotards like this.
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    I pick up extra hours here and there so i can afford to pay entry, sleep in van next to bike sod excersise im lucky if the bitch makes it to the end.
    Rob578, FabOneUp and ray_ray like this.
  18. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I don't think that training is compulsory in order to enjoy your bike, but I think that it can improve your performance and your fun.

IMHO, one should:
    -train the muscles that ache during the rides,
    -train the heart, because at the track it reaches high rates:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1Mr_01Bfs

(I reached more than 170 bpm with my supermoto at the track),
    -train the brain! Look here! To train it, I invented this exercise: every 4 days, I keep my heart at 140 bpm using a stationary bike for 45 minutes and, simultaneously, I play a driving simulator using a notebook, to train my brain under stress. The first times I did it, it was very difficult, but now I can play almost as well as when I'm not pedalling on the bike. The result is a feeling of much more clearness of thought while riding my Husky on the track. It may seem ludicrous, but it works, for me.
    Kyle Tarry and Ken Hynes like this.
  19. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I like that idea theo....

I do the ride the day before a race but usually on my backup bike...
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Rowing machine, like a Concept 2 is the closest thing to replicating riding action I can find. I used one to rehab a fubar knee and it's quite the workout. I rode more this year than I can ever recall and by the end of the season I was barely sore the day after long tough rides. No better training than riding. I hate winter!
    Norman Foley likes this.