What's your race training program?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Huskynoobee, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    A human heart is a human heart is a human heart... The heart rates I've pointed out from the web are the same pretty much for everyone, depending on the fitness level you are currently at. PROs athletics down to the rest of us. And yes, some of us have heart disease, some don't. Genes will come into play out there but as pointed out above, we are not 100 mile runners or anywhere close to that. This should be kept about us, every day, normal living people.

--

Can you give any more details on your HR when on the bike? ... Do you remember what heart rate you stated at when the bike was idling and what was the max number hit on the bike as compared to the running? How long did it take to get towards the high mark there and was it easy to maintain?

--
    Probably the biggest thing separating runners overall performance, when I was running and around runners, was injuries. Most of us can't really run past 20(?) miles a week for any length of time. Our bodies just will not handle all that stress unless you train properly and have the genes for that workload. Injuries is why I normally say if you a plan that works for you, stay with it.
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    You can see it here:

Unfortunately, when I got on the bike the monitor stopperd working properly: apparently, it cannot stay behind me. After the crash, the numbers on the monitor are not much legible. On the original video they are a little better; after the crash the rate started from about 175 and decreased until about 165, at the end of the video.
    With the monitor working properly, installed on the handlebar, I reached 176, IIRC. It was for sure more than 170. While running, I reached 203 after about 10-15 minutes and I was pushing hard but not at my maximum.
  3. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Here are some other videos:

↑ This one reached 195 bpm‼

Some images from this website:
    [IMG][IMG]

This one belongs to a mechanic:
    [IMG]
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Looks like excitement plus exertion equals a fast heart rate. Glad everybody agrees on that one...

I had no idea that cardio training was such a hugely contested topic, but it seems the debate has staunch supporters in each camp. Kinda like vanilla vs chocolate, democrat vs republican, two stroke vs four stroke, skier vs snowboarder, cats vs dogs. I could go on, but won't.
    Theo likes this.
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well all I know is after about 6 hours yesterday out testing for the King of the Moto event I HURT all over and I am just happy my poor old Heart is still pumping I am so tired and sore But will return next weekend to do it again you would not believe how hard you have to work to go up canyons like Slege hammer and Jackhammer You use every part of your body heck why ride the dam bike you push pull and carry it more then you ride it Advill is my best friend today
    ray_ray and lankydoug like this.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    That out in Johnson Valley? Kinda like King Of The Hammers?
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes King of the Moto is Feb 1 followed by King of the Hammers We use a lot of the trails they use and a few that they can not
    You would not believe some of the 4x4 that were also out there testing 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer, independent suspention at all 4 corners
    If the trail is wide enough they can out climb a bike. while the driver is sitting down I was passed a few times this weekend
    LandofMotards likes this.
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I messed around on Jackhammer one day and it's definitely a technical challenge. Good luck!
  9. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is exactly what happened to me. Three or four years ago I was running twenty plus miles a week. On dirt road and ended up with runners knee which felt like a torn miniskus at least I thought it was had to back off on the running and hence I am five or so pounds heavier at the moment. Which can be corrected with proper diet. Swimming is way easier on your joints. The problem I find with riding more to increase performance is you increase your chance of injury. If you have natural talent and stat fit I feel your results will be right on par with if you ride three times a week...
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    First, thanks for those numbers and that crash looked a little gnarly with your foot hung up on the bars ... laying a bike down like that is about the safest way to crash I think but I ~always want separation from the hunk of metal called the bike. I've also got a pair of that brand of boots (not quite so flashy though) and for ~$200, they have been a very good boot.

I might have missed this point but what are you trying to accomplish with the monitor mounted on your bike like that?

--

Been trying to remember my Heart Rate numbers from yrs gone by to compare with your numbers in order to make sense out of what might be happening. Its only been ~15 yrs ago that I lived this stuff as a runner. Needless to say, I'm drawing a few blanks .. Crossing over running to biking is a little interesting to me ....

The one thing that sticks out to me is the ~165 number you are obtaining while riding ... If you look at the 205 number as your top heart rate, that puts the 165-170 beats per minute very close to that 80%-85% of that MAX rate. That means, you might be sitting right at your anaerobic threshold. Maybe over it... slightly. This is the level at which lactic builds up in the bloodstream and forces muscles to slow down. This happens in all humans. All Humans, gene dependent of course. Lactic acid was identified in the 1800s and it is understood but no cure for it other than tolerance through training to deal with it.

Next thing is your HR when you sat on the bike - 137 beats per minute? Sounds high also unless you were just doing something to drive it upwards. It is 100% possible, I'm way off base here on all this, but I don't think so. I hope to purchase a HR monitor in the near future and look at my numbers.

Its so hard for me to comprehend how riding a motorcycle can drive a heart rate up so high without near the actual physical work as compared to running or cycling ... I gotta get a monitor to see how hard my heart is working out there ... At this moment in time, it seems I'm on cruise control out there with my HR low (120-130 beats per minute?). I'd like more education on this subject.

--

I put an Eli Tomac interview out here in another forum .. He said there was a point in the Phoenix race where he and KR94 got gassed ..maybe mid way in the race... Gassed? You can't really see it but maybe the lap times show it. Gassed? He probably means they pushed too hard, went anaerobic, got lactic acid build-up, and had to drop their pace or effort back to a level their bodies could deal with the lactic acid build-up.

Remember when aerobics hit the states? Its nothing more than easy work for your heart and body. Easy work with plenty of oxygen present in your blood. Plus it is promoted as fun and it is fun for many people. Anaerobic work is not for everyone. It is hard, it is work. It is not fun and can be painful but going to a race and waxing others or your best times makes it all worth it. Injuries happen much more easily out there also at these levels.

Anaerobic threshold (AT) is a frequently used term that sometimes causes a little confusion. What is the AT and how can you use it to run faster? For starters, the AT is an extremely reliable and powerful predictor of performance in aerobic exercise. To explore further, I will begin with a brief, oversimplified, review of physiology. Muscles can "burn" glucose two ways, aerobically ("with oxygen") and anaerobically ("without oxygen"). Both systems generate a temporary energy store, called ATP, which in turn produces mechanical work. However, there are some major differences. (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/anaerobic.threshold.html)

Thanks again for those HR numbers to play with. I'd always just thought bike riding was pretty much all aerobic but maybe not.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I think the biggest thing in the off season for us was to never stop riding. We put the ice screws in the dirtbike and continued to ride. Or install the ice screws in the 4x4 quad tires and ride the pipline in Mass. The forests closed all winter but the pipeline is open year round. It kept the muscles limbered up. Plus building bikes all winter. At the time we were cutting firewood for next year too.
    gnarlytightshit likes this.
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well today I got my AMA Competition card and D37 race license application handled. Other than a nasty cold I'm getting over, it's time to ride, ride, ride!:busted:
  13. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    So I'm on vacation in a resort right now. I was in the gym today and met a fellow Canadian who's also a personal trainer. We spent a lot of time talking about working out and at one point he asked me where I fit cardio in my routine. I thought he was going to lecture me, but I was honest and said nowhere. I don't do any. His response? Good. I hate to see people waste valuable workout time doing cardio. He told me he thought it offered the least benefit of any exercise - by a lot, and didn't recommend any of his clients do it.
  14. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4

Have you won any championships?
  15. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Love this marathon_sprinter1.jpg
    Zomby woof and TemecuCoastie like this.
  16. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    TRX full body training, five days a week, hour per day. Best workout time investment I have ever done. No excuses not training on vacation either. I've used it camping hanging from a tree to an outdoor gym in Jamaica.
  17. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    When I do cardio I stay about 155 and stay there.... when I'm riding I try to stay calm and not let my heart rate hit the roof.... to me that's when I have a problem. ... to me it's just as much about being on the bike and learning how to handle situations that arise that wear you out....
  18. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    a half dozen or so. A couple of those were in cars, though, but that's probably more physical than you think. The last race I entered, at the end of last season, was a 6 hr hare scramble. I finished second overall, amongst all skill levels and age groups. I'll be 53 in a week.
    letitsnow likes this.
  19. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    You're welcome!
    I just wanted to capture it with the camera.

IMO (and this is only a supposition) the main reason for those high heart rates is the intense emotion, so I don't think that the lactic acid builds up in the bloodstream, etc..

I was just standing near the bike and then I got on it; previously, I had rested.
  20. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    Juuuust ruined my routine. Ate some serious crap today. At my age this will set me back at least a week.