What's your race training program?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Huskynoobee, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Whoa fellas, lets not make this more than what it is! I surely did not start this thread thinking it would degrade to this level. C'mon guys, lets back AWAY from the keyboard and take a nice, relaxing, deep breath.

Now I understand that some people are a little more passionate about their fitness than others, but wow. :eek:

That being said I am very appreciative that my simple inquiry has produced such a wealth of information. I figured (correctly I might add:D) that there were some other guys of my age and greater that are still out racing and tearing it up and figured I would ask my peers how they do it and still juggle jobs, families, etc.

Not many of us have the luxury of being young, sponsored, totally dedicated, and totally supported by a team of trainers, nutrition experts, and others to go racing. The main thing my program is lacking based on responses is more time in the saddle, and how could that be a bad thing, right?

So as a way of showing my appreciation I promise that I will start riding as often as I can and I will certainly be going racing this season.

Now y'all go and have yourselves a Merry Christmas, and a Happy Riding New Year and stop with the petty back and forth stuff. There's plenty of other threads to do that in. :cheers:
    Bomber1b, Johnrg and juicypips like this.
  2. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

The super hero in southern NY that I hung with and made his infamous name at Unadilla in the 70s would ride a Husky 450 all week long then race a 125 on sunday. I did it for a bit and it does work, that's why I ride big bores on the ice all winter. Hang on to a hooked up 450 on the ice at 70 mph for a few hours and you are beat.
    Huskynoobee and juicypips like this.
  3. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Didn't have much time to read thru this but cardio cardio cardio very important to me more so then weight trainin . I watched my 150 pound son beat the living crap out of a loudmouth obnoxious crap talking 6 foot 4 280 pounder.....no time flat hilarious and he may not underestimate someone for size again... All this training is great... I do 500 hand sqeezers per hand[have one in each hand] a day and run ten to 25 miles per week if I'm chasing points... But more importantly is before the race... I start hydrating Friday I drink water till I'm almost sick thru Sunday. Absoulutly no alcohol until after! I eat pasta on Saturday night and do minimal hard work before. On Sunday I eat a banana have and asprin and a cup....OK or two or three cups of coffe . During the race I hydrate at resets only as you lose time trying to drink while riding and I'll eat a power bar or two at resets....mentally I prepare my self as well listening to rage against the machine or something of sort . Not soothing by any means I clear my head of anything negative in my life and on a serious note kind of prepare for war..... But in the end just try to enjoy the ride and be able to make it to work onmonday...
  4. Bomber1b Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250, 1998 TE410
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    work on Monday who's the jackwagon that came up witdat:thumbsdown:
    fletchman45 likes this.
  6. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    Get yourself a heart rate monitor...put it on...go get on your bicycle...get your heart rate up to 185...and keep it there for 2 hours...then come back and tell us how easy that was! If your cardio is too easy, you ain't goin hard enough!
    fletchman45 and letitsnow like this.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    High altitude workout scheduled for tomorrow and Friday. Snowboarding is a great workout if you don't just cruise.

Fresh pow is a real heart rate accelerator! Happy New Year y'all!
  8. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I used to be a hardcore runner for 20 plus years. Swore by the cario only. One day like 5 years ago I tweaked my shoulder. The pain just wouldnt go away so I went to PT. They made me do nothing but core exercises and usiiing bosu ball excersices -holy crap I had no idea. You can be drenched in sweat in 15 minutes of this if your doing it right. Way more then running or working weights. And the balance training was the single best training bar none I ever did for riding. Plus they tought me all my strengthin my body comes from the core first. So fixing my shoulder required core work first. Right aftern this I did a desert 100 race. I was sold. I wasnt even tired at the end of the race. Sore yes. But I was blown away the difference it made. They also tought me its all about "intensity" of your workout. Thats why some people swear by strength training and others swear by running. Ultimatly it boilded down to intensity.
    fletchman45 and jmetteer like this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    The heart rate per minute is what measures your intensity. You work your heart at different specif levels to get results. Usually, you are working the heart at a high, specific level, and the ~next day will be a level much lower that lets the heart and your body rest, recover, and rebuild itself stronger from the ~damage caused from the previous days work. You'll probably never push out to your bodies capabilities till you train off your heart rate. Because if nothing else, you might be like me and over-train on the recovery days and your body never rebuilds and adapts to the stress you are putting on it.

Every body on earth reacts to input ...Meaning walking to the corner elevates someones' heart rate and is beneficial to their fitness and overall health... Others need ~45 minutes at 80% of their MAX heart rate per minute.

All the same and all different for each body. If you are working out and getting results, don't change anything. But if you wanna push out more, you might have to get more specific in your training. In reality, you'll probably just be changing how you work and rest your heart or just adding some cross-training that translates over into added benefits for your body and sport.
  10. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Nobody on here is at significant risk for these things. These studies are looking at people like professional marathon runners, who run 20 miles EVERY DAY (100-200 miles per week).

If this helps you convince yourself that you don't need to do cardio and that all of the scientifically proven benefits on your cardiovascular system aren't worth the tiny risk, that's your call.
    ray_ray and jmetteer like this.
  12. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will tell you this I went from a middle of the pack vet b to a top placing vet a guy at 50 years old by reducing my cardio load and using weight training in one season.
    You can use all your conventional scientific wisdom to convince yourself cardio is king, that's your call.
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Just go out and ride your dirtbike for hours at a time hard. then go out and race. eat well stay away from junkfood and enjoy life. And all us ammies arguing over how to train is a moot point--train like Cairoli, Dungey, Villopoto, Salvini, Renet, Herlings etc etc those guys are the fastest most consistant dirtbike riders in the world--so whatever they do will be the best type of training no matter what y'all think at this ammie level. Aldon Baker for one knows how to get guys winning , see also Ryno(Tomac) and others like Johnny OMara as trainers.
    jmetteer and Huskynoobee like this.
  14. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    And try not to crash! Crashing really screws up your workout schedule, at least from my direct experience...:o
    Bomber1b and Huskynoobee like this.
  15. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
  16. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. I also run long motocross races against guys a lot younger and almost always outlast them on the track. People forget that there's a real cardio component to weight training if you do it right, plus you get the benefit of greater strength and ability to burn fat.

That, and for the average guy like us that has only a limited amount of workout time available, the benefits from weight training will be far more valuable than a few of hours of cardio a week.
  17. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

But it is not a constant rate cardio activity. It would be closer to a HIIT program. Q When do most guys get gassed? A After they pick up their bike up a couple of times. Want to be able to hit the ground and not gas out after you pick up your bike? Compound muscle exercises like deadlifts and squats with heavy weight. A hour of jogging everyday is not going to fix that problem.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  18. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Maybe some hearts work in a different way, I don't know, but for me it's not an HIIT. I wore an heart rate sensor + relating monitor both while running on foot and while riding in a supermoto track. In both the situations, my heart gradually increased its rate until it reached a certain value and then stopped increasing. I've watched some onboard videos on Youtube in which there was a superimposed rate gauge and those hearts behaved in the same way.
    Cardio activity is not the answer for every problem: I think that things like press ups and exercises with weights can be useful, too.
  19. Geno Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    not anymore
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 tm 250en,300mx 07 250fen,13 450en
    would that man be none other than PAT " THE MAN " MORONEY ? :thumbsup:
  20. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Headed out to spend tomorrow out at the King of the Moto area Trying to get ready for the race in a few weeks. That will be my work out for the week
    reveille and LandofMotards like this.