TR650 overheating

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MadDogTR, Jul 5, 2013.

1. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Unfortunately not sorted enough. Last night after riding 20miles home from work let it idle while taking off my helmet and it hit overheat lights on and squirted radiator fluid. I called the dealer and said come pick up the bike I want a different one as I can't even ride around town. I am hoping this is not inherent with all the stradas i love the bike and engine but I can't even ride into town without an incident. This is not the way I learned to break in an engine. only 200 miles on the bike.
    deb
  2. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    :( So sorry you are still fighting this.
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Definitely not normal. :(
  4. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750
    Good info in this thread. After about 700 miles the bike started to get hot. By 800 I almost didn't want to ride it any further. Could only go about 55mph before it would get too hot.

Got home and let the bubbles out of the system, man were there a lot. Everything seems to be good now.
    HuskyDude, Scutler and bluegopher like this.
  5. CrumyHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    s1000rr
    Thanks everyone. It's pretty late now but I'm deffenatly trying this whole burping thing out. I'm about 550miles Into mine n I'm pretty upset with what's going on. Overheating, the squirting, n had a check engine light come on going uphill heavy on the throttle about 1500rpms before red line.. :/
  6. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I think a part of it too is the factory radiator cap return spring is too stiff. When hot the excess/expanded fluid goes into the overflow tank but when it all cools down it cannot return to the radiator. It had been mentioned before that a 2008-ish KLX250 cap fits and works well. I have yet to try one though.
  7. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Mine did this once, got hot, just sitting warming up. Now it seems to get hot faster so I just ordered the Kawi cap and will change out the anti freeze/water and drill a bleed hole in the t stat then I will see what happens.
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  9. Allen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NH750

I had issues for two weeks. Started around 750 like yours and took me a few "burps" and refills to get everything right. Has been going fine for about 2 weeks now - there is hope.
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Hmmmmm...I wonder how much pressure is too much pressure for this motor? I've read on a CRF450 thread (TT) that too much pressure can blow head gaskets and/or water pump gaskets as well as potentially damage the head. I wonder if the same could be said with the TR?

Rww mentioned drilling a small bleed hole, that might work okay with the stock cap too. just throwing that out there.
    Thumpa and HuskyDude like this.
  12. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Good point on the head gaskets.
  13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    kjackbrown I think you might be on the rite track. I only have 350klm on the clock, at running temp it only takes one or two red lights to kick the fan in. my old klr650 would run all day in the same conditions and barely break a sweat, I had to pour about 250ml into the rad last night. And the expansion tank keeps filling, Until then ill just keep monitoring, and report to this thread. (I have the clutch cable issue also) Would a booster plug help much here? Getting it to run a bit richer and therefore cooler
  14. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Further investigation, (Coolant should return to the radiator as the bike cools) I removed the rad cap, wash it, put it in my mouth with my lips creating the seal and suck it! No air, meaning the cap is faulty, Just to check I repeated the exercise our two cars and another cap as well, I was able to draw air easily, having just washed them you could hear the air movement, (try it) but no air movement with the Terra cap. I suspect this is part of the Burping issue some owners have reported, over time this air gap in the rad will get bigger or increase. My motor was cold yet when I removed the cap I heard a suction sound and the overflow tank is still overfull, (adding to the radiator last nite) Also From passed experience never change or increase the rating of your cap, Anyhow off to try a new cap, cause i'm pretty keen to make this Italian Stallion work for me
    Thumpa likes this.
  15. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    I have 550 miles on new husky strada with new revamped radiator and thermostat and so far no issues starting to gain some confidence.

deb
    ghbgator, AvidR, PaulC and 4 others like this.
  16. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  17. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    well on the first husky tried a new cap and no fix. On the new husky they got a new thermostat supposedly updated and new radiator again updated. also convinced them to do a dyno break in so the bike heated up at the shop before I got it. They also burped the bejesus out of it.
    deb
  18. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    It's not much in the way of news, but I've put about 3000 miles on my Terra since last October, and it's never over-heated. I've had the fan come on, but that cools it off.
  19. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks everyone for the input, Just returned from the dealer where they burped for me and we will see how it goes
  20. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well the burping wasn't the issue, the cap was! probably the cheapest component on the bike.
    And jackb Kawasakis normally run a 1.6 cap, the standard for the Terra is 1.2
    spc380 and kjackbrown like this.