TR650 overheating

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MadDogTR, Jul 5, 2013.

1. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Ok, I've got almost 1,000 miles on the bike, so I would think any air bubbles would be gone by now. I was coming home from work the other day in about 108 F. weather (normal for around here) and after about 30 miles the bike starts spitting all over me. I'm assuming this was from the overflow outlet. Anyway, I pull over for about 2 minutes and the temp. light still won't go out. I am not very patient when it comes to waiting for a bike to cool in 108 F. temps, so I get back on the bike and ride home. After about a mile the temp. light finally goes off and I finish my last mile home with the bike acting like nothing happened. 40 some odd years of riding and this is the first bike I've ever had overheat...

... if you don't count a few Spanish bikes seizing in the early days.

So what now? I haven't even looked at the bike since. Too hot to work on bikes, and not too hot to ride the others. I'm thinking a booster or wuku might help. But I would really hate for this thing to overheat sometime when I am in the middle of Death Valley.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I don't think the booster or wuka would help this problem at all. Did you ever bleed the radiator?
  3. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    It seems to be heat related, and a booster or wuka is supposed to make the bike run richer i.e. cooler, right?

But no, I didn't bleed the radiator. How do I do that on this bike? I've heard the overflow tank is higher than the radiator fill. ???
  4. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Open the cap with the bike cool, crank it up, and let it idle to temp. When the fans kick on, you should start seeing some air bubbles come out and the fluid level drop. Let it run for a couple of minutes until there are no more bubbles, kill the engine, and put the cap on. Several people have had this issue, and the air bubbles are not working their way out on their own. This seems to be the fix.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  5. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    ^^^also squeeze the hoses to assist with purging.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Mine did the exact same thing with similar mileage. Bleeding the radiator fixed my problem... Until I dropped the bike a few times and got a slow, (almost imperceptible) radiator leak. Then I had to replace the radiator :)
    mario33 likes this.
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Since this does not happen to all bikes... I wonder if the bikes that are having problems have been on their side?:thinking:
  8. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Mine has never been on it's side and it had an overheating episode. That happened when i picked up the bike after it's 1000km service. I think it's possible that bikes that haven't overheated either haven't overheated YET, or were predelivered by someone who saw a problem with the husqvarna predelivery procedure for filling the radiator and bled all of the air out before it caused any issue.
  9. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Unless mine was on its side at the shop before I bought it, it has never been on its side. Mine overheated twice and I took it to the dealer both times for them to work it out. Last time was about 500 miles ago when they burped out a huge bubble. Seems to be good now.
  10. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    The radiator cap? Or the reservoir cap?

Mine hasn't been on it's side. Which side do you think would be better for burping the radiator? ;)
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    1. Open radiator cap and start bike.
    2. Let idle so that the fan comes on and the thermostat opens.
    3. Let run another minute then shut off.
    4. Open resevoir cap AND STAND THE BIKE UPRIGHT (just off the kick stand...not a wheely position silly) so that the fluid in the res will fill the void in the radiator.
    5. Once full, put the bike back on it's kick stand and reinstall the resevoir cap.
    6. Restart the bike and let run a few minutes to make sure there is no more air in there. You should be seeing rad fluid moving around.
    7. If the fluid level goes down again....repeat steps 3 & 4. If not, continue to step 8.
    8. Refill resevoir making sure NOT TO go over the full mark (your crotch will thank you later...ask me how I know :eek: )!
    9. Enjoy. :cheers:
    I did this (recommended by someone here) and never had a problem since.
  12. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Since you're spelling it out so well, where in there does the radiator cap get put back on?
    ghbgator likes this.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I was not terribly happy with the way my bike ran on hot days so this is what I did.
    • I have a Motosportz skid plate, which allows me to use a standard dirt bike stand/lift, I raised the bike to it was level/on the stand.
    • I spent about 4 hours trying to figure out how to get the radiator cap off, there is a trick to it, and for me it took both hands.
    • When the bike was cold, I took off the radiator cap
    • The level was quite low, but slowly the over flow tank drained into it, especially when I took off the overflow tank cap
    • As I vaguely recall, I squeezed the hoses and bubbles came up
    • As I vaguely recall, I needed to add water because it was still low
    • Started the bike while it was on the stand, in neutral
    • Slowly the radiator level rose up, and then down once it became apparent the thermostat was opening - long before my fan came on
    • Eventually the fluid began to rise because that is what hot fluid in radiators do.
    • I turned off the bike, and let it cool.
    • I squeezed the hoses, no bubbles came out this time.
    • I filled up the radiator again, put the radiator cap on, filled the overflow tank to the proper level
    • And have yet to have another problem, and from what I can tell the bike runs much smoother (efi).
    engineerk9, ghbgator and kjackbrown like this.
  14. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    LOL...7.5 :thumbsup:
    ghbgator likes this.
  15. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I seem to find coolanol everywhere. Does anyone know if this is okay to mix with the stock castrol stuff?
  16. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I have found a stronger/ higher psi radiator cap also works in Australian heat al beit on 450's and 310's. maybe worth a consideration along side the sage advise above.
  17. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Thanks much. Will try this tonight after the bike cools.

Thanks much. And what is the trick with the cap? I'm guessing finageling and muscle???
  18. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Small hands and foul language! You will see
    ghbgator likes this.
  19. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    I've already seen it. That's why I asked. Maybe I can get my wife to do it. ;)
    ghbgator, HuskyDude and hasenpfeffer like this.
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    • Right index finger in the tab in the back, left index finger on the tab in the front.
    • Rotate 1/4 turn, then stop and remove hands
    • Right index finger on the same tab, which is now pointed towards the outside of the bike - but with finger laying down touching the radiator cap, which would cause your entire body to be closer to the ground
    • Left index finger on the same tab that you had it on, which is now pointed to the inside of the bike
    • At this point you should notice your arms (fingers) are basically 'crossed'
    • Rotate the last 1/4 turn.
    At least that is how I did it.
    ghbgator, Big and Husky and mag00 like this.