TR650 overheating

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MadDogTR, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    A few people have mentioned switching to a cap of a Kawasaki if memory serves me correct. I wonder if that cap is any easier to get off?
    mag00 likes this.
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You make it sound so seductive. :p

I faced the radiator and loosened to the first notch, crouched down then took left finger and shoved it up and in the opening on the far left (you can see the hole when you crouch down far enough) and reached up in and to the cap and right finger on right side of cap in the big area.Being lower, it was enough easier to pull down and forward with the left finger, and pull down and push with the right finger. The Pulling down was and is the key to easy removal. Must have been a design after thought. I was ready to pull the plastic.
    ghbgator and nev.. like this.
  3. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Much, much easier. Importantly also allows coolant to flow back into the radiator after shutdown when the system cools down.
  4. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    Which Kawasaki cap are we talking about?
    Lekolite and Jughead like this.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I think you did what I was attempting to describe, and yes I was also ready to pull the plastic at some point - but thought better of it.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not sure. Someone posted it either here or on ADVrider. I'll do a search for the post later tonight.
  7. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I pulled the plastic after 30 seconds. Figured it was easier than dealing with that cap. I'll have to practice to get the procedure down but patience sometimes is not a virtue of mine. A few screws and the plastic was pulled away enough to make the cap removal easier.
  8. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Thanks for this. Yet another example of if it's that hard you aren't doing it right. I fiddled and fiddled to no avail. Followed your instructions and had it off in about five seconds.

It's great that Husky gave us these little challenges. If we didn't spend our time figuring out how to get the radiator cap off we'd exceed our fuel / tire budget because we were spending all our time riding.
    ghbgator, WoodsChick, nev.. and 3 others like this.
  9. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    In my first 200 mi on the Terra I thought it was running hotter than the Strada, but I figured it was just break in. Then did 150 mi last night and had the red warning light come on several times, usually slow uphill and stop and go in traffic. Burped the thing and did 50 miles tonight. It's a massive improvement, like three bars are so. Fan didn't even come on the whole time I was out. Highly recommend you give it a shot if you think you are runnin' hot.
    Coffee likes this.
  10. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    If your overflow tank is near max full, does it drain/overflow when you open the cap to burp these things?
    Trying to figure out how big a mess to prep for.

Krussell, how many bars are "normal", are you saying 3 bars?
    I see around 6 or so, about 1/2 way on the scale.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My bike was completely vertical on a bike stand, and yes my overflow tank drained when I took of the radiator cap. Not sure if it completely drained, but it drained.

Others have reported the overflow tank not draining, if so, that would probably mean the bike was on the kickstand & leaning.
  12. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Buy yourself a syringe with a short piece of plastic tube to empty the overflow tank prior to burping. Refill it after refitting the radiator cap.

You're correct, about half way for the operating temp for the bike. I'd be concerned with anything less; maybe an air pocket at the coolant temp sensor?

Edit - or a stuck open thermostat?
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  13. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Well I haven't got to burping/bleeding the radiator yet, but the bike may have beat me to it.
    When riding it to town on an errand it puked coolant all over me.
    Oddly the temp light was not lit and the temp gauge was just over 1/2.

Has anyone else had it puke when not really showing an overheat?
    Is that a bubble working itself out?
  14. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra

Same thing happened to me, almost. I was within a couple miles from home on my 25 mi commute from work. I started smelling coolant then looked down to see my leg was covered and more kept coming. I checked the temp and nothing out of the ordinary. Strange. Then about a mile later the temp spiked and red light came on. I continued up the driveway, parked, shut it off and took it back to the dealer the next day. This was the second time it had overheated. They said they burped a huge bubble out of it. I haven't had a problem since then and that was about 850 mi ago.
  15. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    Sorry but when I open the radiator cap must open also to the waste? And after you go off the air bubbles the radiator cap must close immediately or after letting it cool the bike?

Scusate ma quando apro il tappo del radiatore devo aprire anche quello della vaschetta di recupero? E dopo aver fatto andare via le bolle d'aria il tappo del radiatore devo chiuderlo subito o dopo aver fatto raffreddare la moto ?
  16. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Really, you just need the radiator cap open. After the bubbles stop, turn off the motorcycle and put the cap back on.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  17. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    Indeed, it is amazing that despite having repeatedly told the dealer that I had overheating problems, they have done nothing if you do not tell me that was normal. Now it works very well the fan at the same temperatures in recent days has not been practically never turned it on. thanks guys you are my salvation;)

Fatto, è incredibile che nonostante abbia detto più volte al concessionario che avevo problemi di surriscaldamento, loro non abbiano fatto nulla se non dirmi che era normale. Ora funziona molto bene la ventola alle stesse temperature dei giorni scorsi non si è praticamente mai accesa. grazie ragazzi siete la mia salvezza ;)
    Coffee and nev.. like this.
  18. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Thanks guys just bought my strada friday. today had a couple guys at coffee tell me about a bad thremostat only issue they had on terraand told me what to watch for. Wouldn't you know ran it into town and after a few stoplights on an 88degree day started to register 2bars short of hot and spewed some coolant and as I pulled into a parking space redlight went off. I only have 60 miles on my new bike. let it cool for only a few minutes and ran pretty well home as long as i was going still got a little warm at lights. Will call dealer tuesday. Didn't smell anything scary as I realize brutal on new engine to overheat. hard to see overflow but appears to be some fluid at bottom line.
    deb
    HuskyDude likes this.
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I think most of them do that, mine did. Follow instructions in this thread to 'burp' the cooling system.
  20. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    thanks kind of took that silly grin off my face worried i hurt my new bike.
    deb
    Coffee likes this.