TR650 overheating

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MadDogTR, Jul 5, 2013.

1. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra

Sorry to hear that. You would think by now the dealer would know about this issue, and proceed to burp the bike prior to delivery?
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Deb, I see you found your way over here from ADVrider. I am certain you don't have a bad thermostat. Almost everyone has run into this issue, and burping the radiator is the fix. It will only take a few minutes of your time, and absolutely zero tools are required.

It seems as though many dealers are overlooking this during setup.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  3. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Thanks a little discouraging and I think I'll have the dealer fix it in case something happened to the engine during overheat also if they have to do this may make them more aware of burping. My hubby not too happy as I convinced him to let me buy before selling my vstrom. ooy
    engineerk9 likes this.
  4. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I took mine to the dealer for the same reason. Plus he's only a couple miles down the road. It happened to me twice so make sure they get a really satisfying burp when they do it so you don't get a second helping.
  5. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Did I do something wrong burping my bike?

I did the whole process with the bike upright on a stand.
    Trying to keep the spillage of coolant down (this proved to be a wasted effort)
    I emptied the overflow tank before opening the radiator cap.

When I opened the radiator I was surprised to find how low the level was given that the overflow tank was at max full.
    I filled the radiator up so I could see the coolant near the neck.
    I started the bike.
    As the temp came up it began overflowing coolant out the top.
    Then about the time the fan kicked on, it dropped significantly.
    I assume this was the thermostat opening.
    I filled the radiator again so I could see the coolant near the neck.
    This time it was obvious that the coolant was moving and some bubbles were working their way out.
    Then it began overflowing again, quite a bit too.
    I shut it off and it puked out even more coolant.

Did I run it too long after the thermostat opened trying to get the bubbles out?
    I don’t think I ran it more than 2-3 mins after the fan kicked on/thermostat opened.
    Should I have just shut the bike off after the thermostat opened and not tried to get the bubble out while running?
    Was I not supposed to fill the radiator during this process?
    nycrider likes this.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just had to do mine today. A problem surfaced since I hit Georgia, and reared its head this weekend. I let mine run for a solid 5+ minutes when I did it, and it was 92 degrees outside. I never came close to overheating. I also didn't continue to top it off. I wanted to makes sure the bubble was gone.
  7. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Deb,

Coming off a V-strom I hate to say but you will be disappointed by several issues you will probably have with these bikes.
    Look around here and you will find the fixes, most of it is pretty simple, but coming from a Strom (arguably the one of most trouble free bikes) it will be disappointing.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds ok to me. About what I did.
  9. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Coffee,

Did yours dump a bunch of coolant during the process?
    I was not expecting it to overflow so much, or to change levels so much during the process.
    I have seen car radiators just bubble along for several minutes with no big level changes during a "burp"
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I did not loose a lot from the radiator, when it started rising I turned off the motor. Then refilled when it was cool. I may have cycled it a couple of times.

My thought was that the engine is set up to run very lean, so it was getting warm quickly, and that was the reason the level rose so fast - and there really isn't that much water in the system compared to a automotive application.
  11. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    RD
    did you ever find out which kawasaki cap fits our radiator
    deb
  12. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I cannot find that post anywhere now. I know for certain I read it somewhere, because I even priced out the part and decided to wait.
  13. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    They have a higher bar? cap on ebay may see about that. There is a post on adv rider about using a kx500 cap on a honda 650 but that is all I saw. My dealership is convinced it is the thermostat so we'll see where it sits on heat level after they replace it.

deb
  14. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    about thermostat. my mechanic said that of those bikes has many gà had to be replaced. says it is a manufacturing defect that sooner or later it will break too. but that Husqvarna will not release official warnings. We'll see!

a proposito di termostato. il mio meccanico ha detto che su quelle moto ne ha gà dovuti sostituire molti. dice che è un difetto di fabbrica che prima o poi si romperà anche a me. ma che l husqvarna non vuole rilasciare richiami ufficiali. Staremo a vedere!
  15. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
  16. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, that's it. It was a KLX.
  17. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I think the cap is the real issue and the burping is maybe just a Band-Aid fix that gets coolant back into the system.

After a bit of use I found that my coolant (like my oil) was over filled at the reservoir, assuming crappy set up I removed some to get it down to the MAX line.
    When I opened my radiator cap for the "burp" the level was really low so it does not apear to be pulling coolant back from the reservoir.

In retrospective, perhaps I actually had the proper amount of total coolant for the system, but it got pushed up to the reservoir (perhaps because of a bubble or bubbles) and gets stuck there.

Now that I have the system burped I will be watching my reservoir volume.
    I now have it set at the MIN line. Well, its set where the MIN line is, you just cant see it through the damn window.
    I will also be looking for a KLX cap.

I call BS….it took me 2 days and removal of the body work to get that damn cap off. :D
  18. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Was this your first time burping it or your 2nd?
  19. deb Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    I agree ogre even semi stripped my first torx (they sure like the right size tool) to see if I could loosen radiator to get to cap. I'll be looking for another cap
    deb
  20. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    First for me. I'm assuming my dealer did it at setup because I've had zero issues until the other day. I've also had no issues since. The TR is my only vehicle down in Georgia right now, so it is seeing lots of riding in traffic on 90+ degree days.

The cap isn't too hard once you figure it out. It really takes a whole lot of downforce to get mine to turn the last bit. Although, if you have fat fingers, you're just screwed.
    Lekolite likes this.