Check engine light on

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Terra35, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Terra35 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada,Can-Am Spyder RT
    I took my first ride on my new TR650 Terra & with less then 20 miles the check engine light came on,i pulled over & when stopped in neutral it went out,started going again & light came on,anyone else have this happen? Seems to run fine,but still concerned.
    Scutler likes this.
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I don't believe there is any way of knowing why the engine light is coming on without being hooked up to a Moss tool.:thinking:
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Yep, back to the dealer. :excuseme:

Keep us posted on the results.
    nev.. likes this.
  4. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Take it back to the dealer and get them to hook it up to the Moss. The errors should be logged so the Moss should be able to diagnose what the issue is.
  5. Terra35 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada,Can-Am Spyder RT
    Found my problem,bike would not start today,checked battery & both cables were loose.Retightened with a couple L/washers & fired right up,went for a ride & no more check engine light coming on
    PDL and Coffee like this.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Thanks for letting us know :cheers:
  7. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    A poor predelivery inspection by the dealer. Mine had incorrect coolant & oil levels which I checked after the first ride home. They should have a checklist they go through before sale as it gives the customer peace of mind. It wouldn't take any more than one hour to complete.
  8. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I suffered a lack of coolant in the radiator issue as well, and others both here in Australia and I think overseas have reported similar issues. I would not be surprised if there was inadequate pre-delivery training given. I reckon there's a step in the process which some dealers might be missing out when they fill the radiators. Mine was 300ml low and that is enough to cause the thermostat to stop operating correctly.
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Hey Nev, check your raditor level when cold (it's a bitch to remove the cap:mad:). Mine was constantly low. I used the cap from my KLX and it's all good. The vacuum valve in the TR cap doesn't seem to let coolant transfer from the overflow tank to radiator when the engine cools down.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Which is how it is supposed to work, at least that is how it works on every vehicle I've ever owned.

Right?
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Make sure when you get you 1000KM/600m check up they clear all codes for ya with the Moss.:thumbsup:
  12. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Not quite... As the coolant heats up it expands unseats the radiator cap & discharges into the recovery tank (strong spring in cap). When the engine is shutdown and cools down, the coolant contracts. The vacuum valve in the centre of the cap opens drawing back coolant into the engine/radiator preventing the entry of air.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  13. Michaels_J Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Aus_Tr650. ..you said you replaced your cap with a KLX.. what one? Just bought my 13 Tr650 Strada, has less than 300 miles and the dealership has already replaced the radiator, the cap and the temp control sensor. All of which they took off another Strada. Im just about to say forget it...but I really love this bike
  14. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Sorry about the late reply. Pressure rating is the same although the vacuum valve in the middle of the cap has less tension than the Husky cap. I think this assists with keeping the radiator full of coolant during cool down.
    What is the problem for the dealer to change all those items? Seems to be chucking a lot at it...
    A good YouTube clip explaining cap operation -
    View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdDWWoX-70
    kjackbrown likes this.
  15. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    AUS_TR650, that guy has pretty good videos. I stumbled through his channel, and found this one about how to fill and burp a cooling system. It is pretty thorough, and explains things in very easy terms.

View: http://youtu.be/iWWSu-wOlf0
    kjackbrown likes this.
  16. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda

I assume its the cap from the 2008 KLX 250s listed on your profile...right.....