So long husky...got a beta x trainer

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by huskylove, Jan 13, 2016.

1. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Stiffer springs really help the X-Trainer, If you like to ride fast, go a higher rate than Beta recommends.
    When they say it is a detuned 300, you expect it to be lazy, but in reality, the power hits hard right off idle and can surprise you. I think it might be worth a try turning the PV screw out closer to flush to delay some of that power.
  2. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I rode one of these last year. It was after a long hare scramble, so I rode pretty easily. I think it was set up on the PV for max low end, and the power was incredible. You would have to work really hard to stall it. I was tired, and did all the wrong things and wasn't able to. I also really liked the way it handled. It felt short, and turned very quickly. What I didn't like is how the pipe stuck out such that I couldn't kep my leg off it, and that it felt really heavy, although that could have been in the suspension setup. I was thinking about buying one, but I would want to spend more time on it first, before I committed that kind of money.
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Kouba link height update.

My stats 150lbs plus gear (prolly 155)

5' 6" with 28 inch inseam.

I installed the kouba link but did not reset sag. I also have a seat concepts low seat 1" lower.

Before link 35.5"

After link 34.875"
    This is the bike free standing with a push on the rear and leting it rebound.

I will reset the sag and update. I can easily put 1 foot down now. It feels much much softer in the rear so if anything I believe I will need to stiffen the shock.

I am going to run it next ride then update. I am worried that the tire may contact the rear fender/tail piece but I will see.
  4. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress

I think part of why the bike is working out so well for me is that I am on the lighter end of things, most compaints I have seen have been about pro/heavier riders and how soft the springs are. Then you get people on the lighter side complaining about how stiff it is O...O

For my weight it is perfect. With the kouba link its a bit soft in the rear so some more preload is all good.
    water racer likes this.
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I'm your size, almost exactly, and think when I rode it I was 145lbs. I really liked the bike (and like my suspension very soft), but my immediate thought was that it felt really heavy. I had just run a 6hr harescramble on my CR150, and hopped directly on the X, so that could be a part of it.

I assume it doesn't feel heavy to you?
  6. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    The bike feels amazingly lightweight. Even compared to my 99 cr125 husky.

It turns like nothing ive ever ridden. I can turn it on a steep slick hill with no issues. At one point i had to u turn on a trail and it was a singletrack. I jumped off (there was a cliff edge so played it safe) and just burned the throttle a bit off the side of the bike and swing it around easy. I think even once I add a pipe gaurd and swap to a lithium battery I will be even better off :)
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes, it has to work for YOU.
  8. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    You were just tired, the bike feels lighter than it is. Only way the X-Trainer should have felt heavy is if you normally ride a aluminum framed yz125!
  9. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Probably that and the super light (even by my standards) front suspension.
  10. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I find it very hard to believe that it has more power than a Husky TE511. I looked up a Beta X Trainer and it's apparently entry level, but from your post it sounds like it is very good.

I hate the name though, makes me think of one of these all the time:

[IMG]

Or a child's potty training device:D
  11. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Debating on this being my next bike! Been researching it alot, the suspension worries me a bit. I know I will have to put some $$ into the suspension and I have have good $$ in my Husky suspension already. Hmm?
  12. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    X-Trainer = Cross Trainer. Not = Training Bike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pmVpkTU8M

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a X-Trainer to replace my now dead WR.
    juicypips, Jimmy250 and NCSteve like this.
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
  15. Powellyte450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 450. TXC 310R.
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR 250 R, LTZ 400, Truimph Bonie.

You and me both man I just hate having bring a step ladder to get on, I'm going Beta too...
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I read one of the pro riders raced a stock X trainer and placed in the top five?

Electric start and oil injected gets my vote. No pre mix bravo.

Now it someone offered e start, oil injected and fuel injection super bravo.? No jetting no premix.
  17. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Fuel injection is not worth it. Too many other hassles and increased complication. Just put a lectron on it. Same effect as fuel injection.
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I agree.... no fuel injection.... adds fuel pump and tons of crap to fail.....

A lady friend of mine bought a X Trainer.... I like and don't like it..... She has had multiple wiring issues, speedo issue, and petcock issue.... bike overall is cool if you need a shorter bike but it was extremely mellow and that's coming from someone who likes a really mellow bike....
  19. TrailPunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Reviving an old thread. So I sold my 610 and bought a XTrainer. I've been wanting a trail bike for several years. Having two bikes is both awesome and a curse. I'd ended up being on the 610 for a couple of years because the guys I've brought along either didn't want to ride a 300 Lbs dirt bike, or had no business riding a 300 Lbs dirt bike. My 250 is pretty good, but has a couple of things that have been bugging me for years (not enough to sell it, but there just wasn't anything on the market that I wanted to replace it with). Of course the close ratio gear box. Also the turning radius could be tighter.

So enter craigslist. One 2016 XTrainer with 250 miles. Two extra sets of plastics. A Motoz Mountain Hybrid rear tire with Tubliss. $6500. Oh, and it's in Hood River, Oregon. I'm in SoCal. So I called a buddy in the Seattle area. Money was wired, and he checked out and picked up the bike. One of my Daughters was graduating from CSU Chico, so I happened to be halfway there (darn). My wife got a plane ride home and I headed north. Road Trip!

Happy to report that the XTrainer is all that I hoped it would be. Much lighter than the 250, great transmission ratios, and the turning radius is awesome. It took a couple of days of riding to re-calibrate my brain to a 300 2-stroke from a 250 4-stroke.
    -Yes the suspension is a little springy. In the woods it works pretty good. I understand that Beta now has a kit to allow more damping adjustment.
    -This thing is really torquey. I almost looped it a couple of times when it hooked up on some nasty uphills.
    -The turning radius is much better than my Husky. However it is not as stable at speed.
    -The brakes are really strong.
    -This thing is so light. It is amazing how dropping 20 or 30 Lbs can change the way you ride. And how far.

I picked the bike up in Washington State, and while I was there I went riding for three days with an old buddy that happened to also buy a XTrainer. I'd been wanting to check out some of the single track up north and was not disappointed. We went to Walker Valley, Evans Creek, and Tahuya State Forest, and totaled 70 miles of really tight trails. Lots and lots of tight single track, roots, mud, trees, and I had a blast.

Yes I like the bike.

R/

Mike
    IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0828.JPG
  20. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I was so certain I was going to buy an XTrainer to replace my WR300. Then I stumbled on the TX300. It's about the same weight as the XT, but it's a full 300 with a great suspension. I've got about 20 hours on it and I love it. One of these days I'll have to ride an XT to see if I like it better.