Rally Fairing and other Accessories

Discussion in 'TR650' started by risinqsun, Nov 14, 2017.

1. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Yeah, I guessed that there wasn't much to get. But: You forgot the pure fact that I save the complete right pipe from the Y-split to the exhaust can. And mounting material along with the exhaust can holder on the right side of the bike which will be removed. It shouldn't be that detailed regarding weight though, because I still have center stand, bash plate and crash bars mounted which weigh a lot. I'm currently thinking about throwing off the center stand.. Maybe a lighter bash plate too. We'll see. I guess regarding crash bars, there's not much weight to save.

Greetings
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

Definately interested please keep me informed!! Nav tower, Decals and Screen but its not allowed to buffet or vibrate.
  3. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Still no proper answer from Rade. He wrote me that he's on a business trip and he'll talk to his guys yesterday.. But I didn't hear from him since..

The waiting continues.

Just wanted to make sure you guys are up to date.

And to kiwiape: My target is to get it noise free because I'm really sensitive about rattling sounds on uneven terrain.

Greetings,

Flo
    kiwiape and sussurf like this.
  4. RockinRod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    79 GS850G, 99VFR800Fi , 04ST1300A

Hello risisngsun,
    Wanted to ask if it hasn't been asked who is the maker of your windshield? I cobbled one up on my Terra but that would give some protection, thanks in advance Rodm850g@nc.rr.com
  5. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Are you talking about the windshield which is mounted with the original headlight unit? That's an universal one from louis.de.
    The windshield shown above from the rally kit is made by MRA and I bought it from Rade Garage.

Alright guys,
    there's finally news!
    the bad one first:
    My exhaust pipes won't arrive before beginning of january.. So there's time to wait on that section of the bike.
    But here's what we all waited for:
    The missing rally parts arrived yesterday..
    Today I had a first try on without proper alignment. It stays in place with the 701 clamps, but I'll figure out proper mounting brackets tomorrow.
    The handlebar moves around without touching the kit, so fitment shouldn't be an issue on our bikes.
    Regarding the fender.. I'm thinking about a low fender setup. Should look cleaner, I think.

And I stumbled across new LED high and low beam with e mark. So they are certified for german roads.
    Just have a look!
    By the way: That's not my place, I just rented a little spot for the winter to work on the bike. I'm still searching for a proper garage.

6ebeba71-c6db-49fd-8936-27d7abd1511e.jpg d73a994b-c6b7-4cb8-a687-473c13fdb1b4.jpg e96df1b9-ae9b-446f-848e-5a9102b1c7e1.jpg
    Greetings, Flo
    PaulC, kiwiape and FabOneUp like this.
  6. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Looking good!
  7. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I'm likin it!! :banana:
  8. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks guys!

There's news:

Yesterday, I came up with prototype brackets along with the original clamps.
    I drilled holes in the lower steering stop and in the upper construction which normally works as the steering lock.
    Along with the clamps being attached to the stem, it is really sturdy now!

I took measurements and these brackets will be lasered from aluminium.

IMG_20171223_224955.jpg IMG_20171224_005521.jpg IMG_20171224_031738.jpg IMG_20171224_010434.jpg
    FabOneUp and kiwiape like this.
  9. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  10. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    And merry christmas everybody!
    FabOneUp and kiwiape like this.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Both of those stops/ brackets are part of the frame.
    At least in AUS, drilling holes into steering stops or any frame component is an alteration to the structure of the vehicle...and illegal, rendering the vehicle un-roadworthy.
    While not being squeamish or anal when it comes to mucking around with bikes, but from a legal as well as technical/ engineering angle those holding brackets look pretty questionable.
  12. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Hi Flo
    A few guys have broken the stop off, appears to be only TIG welded.

Every time I bang mine I think of these images
    steering.JPG fix2.JPG nice MIG fix by Baddrapp

Great work so far
  13. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Agreed, looks good!

But yeah, that issue was in the back of the mind while replying above. That tower-bracket is quite a massive structure as well as being levered out quite severely. Inertia will obviously create
    some high strain on those 2 under-sized mounting points. Add a few weeks of decent potholes and rough terrain/ tracks and that little steering stop will have a hard time staying in place.
    Don't even mention the massive whack they'll cop in only a halfhearted stack.... with that high-mounted top-end being a pre-designed "victim".

Big kudos to Baddrapp...ANY welding on the head-stock is a damn tricky affair at best, the heat affecting the tubing, head stem bearing seats ovalling or shrinking etc etc
    Been around a mate for the last 20 years who's in the bike-repair/ insurance/ restoration/ compliancing business... the stuff I get to see there is never dull :-))...
  14. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Alright guys,

the one thing bothering me is why people never read carefully?
    These things are prototypes to figure out proper positioning and measures.
    I'm already into creating data for lasering/bending the brackets from 4mm alu.
    Of course, there will be proper sized bolts along with the new brackets.
    I thought that is self explaining when using 'prototype'.

Both frame parts used for attaching the tower don't have any structural influence on the actual frame in my opinion.
    Keep in mind, that the tower itself was designed to be attached by only the clamps.
    Although the clamp which I use on the lower end are originally used as upper clamps and then they get screwed together behind the steering stem.

And, as written before, there will be also two rods coming from the radiator mounts on the frame to the holes in the lower clamps.
    In addition to only weighing around 3kgs (including dash etc), I'm pretty sure it will work out.
    PaulC likes this.
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Agreed.
    Only the (Oz) law makers don't agree. Nor would the German TUEV, I imagine.
    If it's welded to the main structure, it's part of the frame.
    Drill holes...and the frame has been modified.
    Isn't there a way to mount the whole tower with clamps so that there are no alterations to the frame/ headstock?
  16. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I could only speak for germany, but here it is possible to get changes on non structural frame parts accepted by TUEV; for example shortened rear ends on custom builds like cafe racers.. or removed mounting brackets from parts you moved or don't need anymore in your build.. I could tell more, but you get the idea..

I was not able to come up with any satisfying construction by just clamping..
    But instead, I thought a lot more today and I decided on a specific concept..
    I checked the stability again without my brackets.
    The clamping system itself works pretty good, but you can see on the pictures that one of the clamps was not actually intended for grabbing the stem..
    More for just going around and then being connected behind it.But that's not possible on the Terra.
    And just clamping is a little to unsafe for me cecause it would turn left and right pretty easy when force is applied.

Tomorrow I'll create some digital sketches to show you what I have in mind now.

Greetings,

Flo
  17. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Similar thing here....as long as those mods are done to a bolt-on-type subframe.
    (the reason I had no issues getting the chopped + modded tails of the 650 Stroms passed...they have bolt-on subframes.
    Same for the bolt-on front fairing frames on those bikes (and the KLRs etc).
    Modify ANY of the main frame though...and things turn nasty.
    Hope, the TUEV/ DEKRA look at things differently.
  18. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Have you considered mounting it to the forks in stead of the frame? I know most rally fairings mount to the frame, but I actually prefer my lights to turn with the handlebars. The Britannia Composites Lynx fairing mounts to the forks and I kind of like that design.
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Hi Flo

Nice work your doing.

Do you think there is a chance of using the OE headlight..? IMO I like the OE shape and its a signature of the TR. The twin round is not that aesthetically pleasing or different.
  20. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Still looking good Flo! :applause: