Rally Fairing and other Accessories

Discussion in 'TR650' started by risinqsun, Nov 14, 2017.

1. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hey guys,

most of you should know me by now (http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr-650-terra-from-germany.85981/ , http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tr-650-terra-from-germany.1195413/).

In the past few month while doing adventure riding and stuff, I found some essential things I want to change on the Terra to make it even more perfect for me.

And then the idea popped up to offer you guys the parts I develop along my journey to the perfect Terra.

I photoshopped the bike how I want it to be.
    Just have a look at the picture and all the details. Afterwards, I'll explain what I have in mind exactly.

Project_Rally_tagged.png

Rally Fairing including Nav Tower:
    I wanted to construct some rally fairing a longer time ago. I looked through different fairings offered by some of the bigger names in rally accessories. But the stuff is expensive as hell and there's no plug and play kit for the Terra. Recently, I stumbled across RadeGarage from Czech Republic. He designed a rally kit for the 690 KTM and the Husky 701 (along with some bigger KTMs). It includes a nav tower (which attaches to the steering head without being clamped down between the bearings), plexiglass windshield, fairings made of carbon or fiberglass, and two LED headlights to fit the nav tower. The whole kit is under 1000€ (http://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-701-fairing-kit/). In the picture above, you see the windshield and nav tower for the 701. For more detailed views, please check out the kit for the 701 in the link above. And please note: The yellow frame around the headlights is just a optional sticker.

I had some closer looks at his mounting ideas for the nav tower and thought that this should be adaptable to our bikes. There are some changes which need to be done, but it's possible.

My basic idea now is to order the KIT for the 701 Enduro and then change the needed things along with fabricating new mounts and side fairings (I want to do them with ABS plastic).

After everything is done, Rade gets the CAD files from me and then he'll produce the new, plug&play kit for the Terra. Because he doesn't want to sell the stuff without him riding it on its own, I'll be selling the stuff with him as parts deliverer (He offered that). Of course, I'll test the hell out of my prototype.

After testing, you'll be able to buy the kits. That's one of the reasons I'm posting all of this. I want to get an overview if you guys are interested in stuff like that. If not, I'll just build the stuff for me and thats it.

There will be more details further down the text. Let's get to the next point.

Handguards:

I recently got myself Barkbuster Jet guards, so that point is settled. Although I fabricated some mounts to fix them to the triple clamp. That way they could hardly move in a crash.
    If there's interest, I could offer them to. The ones which are currently on my bike are just a solution for the moment, so you'll see some nice ones milled from aluminium in the future.

Custom Decals:
    I just designed something which came to my mind. After figuring out the rally fairings, I'll do some measurements. I already have contact to a decal producer in germany. They use very thick, durable motocross decals, so that's what we want for adventuring.
    It then would be possible that I design your decals with you. Afterwards, I'll ship them to your place.

Taller Seat:
    There are basically two options for taller seats.. That's the touratech tall seat and the one from seat concept. The touratech has to many steps for my liking and the seat concept one is to wide in my opinion. Because I bought and used the lower touratech seat a while ago, I still have the original one around. I'll open it up and then form some new seat with a new cover to my likings.
    Again, if there's interest.. just tell me.

Smaller Rear End:
    I have a very small license plate holder compared to the original one. Still, I removed a lot of the plastic around the brake light including the lock for the seat. Now, there's just the lock cable which I tied down in a corner under the seat. Easy to operate without needing to remove the key from the ignition lock. My plan is to fabricate a nice new set up for the lower part of the rear end. Basically the black plastics under the frame. This will include some nice small brake light.

Single Exhaust:
    I thought about this for a longer time now. I don't really like the offerings from GPR because as far as I can tell, they clamp an extra catalytic converter to their single exhaust system before mounting the exhaust can on top of that. Looks pretty ugly. My plan is to search for the right size akrapovic or leovince can. Then I'll contact an exhaust builder to build me a new exhaust pipe from header to can including a cat in the pipe (that's possible and often used in modern cars). Of course, this setup would save a lot of weight compared to the original setup.
    You would be able to order the pipe and then get a can of your liking.

Crash Bars, Bash Plate and Offroad Tires:
    Well, I already have bars and plate. Currently, I'm running Heidenau K60 Scout which are not satisfying for me. I need something more agressive. Would love some Michelin T63, but you just don't find them in germany.. So, we'll see...

One more thing is the suspension.. I'm planning to get cartridges for the front and the one from touratech for the rear..

Yeah guys, so thats it for the moment. The only future idea I have is maybe constructing additional fuel tanks in another spot than the big ass safari tanks. Rade Garage also did some for 690 and 701, so he has the know how and someone to produce them.

I'm very interested in your questions, ideas and of course in your opinion about these ideas.
    If there's serious interest, please share.

If we reach a small group of people, my idea would be the following:
    You would be able to preorder the stuff for a deposit (around 10-20% of the parts price). That way, I have the possibility to buy all of the stuff, develop, test, produce and so on (From next februar on, I'll be studying car technology.. so lots of spare time for stuff like that). To thank for your trust, there would be percentages off for the parts you preordered. Of course, the stuff would still be available afterwards.

Alright guys, hit the keys!

Until then..

Greetings from Germany,

Flo
    prdeb, PaulC and FabOneUp like this.
  2. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I love the vision and your passion! The photoshop renderings look fantastic! I now ride a 701 (but still have the TR) so my money is going into that. I wish you luck and look forward to watching your progress.
  3. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    The way it's made it looks like a regular slip on really... Maybe the picture that you saw is this one: https://goo.gl/images/y5nLvn

But in reality you can't see the cat because you are supposed to reuse the plastic heat shield: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dS5qOy0s8MuQchCD2
  4. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks for the kind words!
    There are already some news I want to share.

I'll order the Rally Kit from Rade by the end of november.

Regarding the Exhaust System:
    I came up with a setup. I had a closer look into the construction of the GPR System. For me, the pipes from header to exhaust are useful without the can and the little pipe extension.
    I don't like the setup of the can adapter and the fact that the can just cuts of when it connects to the pipe.
    So I contacted GPR asking about possibility to just order the pipes. And that I need to know the diameter of the pipe ending. I assume it's 50mm, but I have to wait for their answer.
    For the exhaust can I chose a LeoVince LV EVO. I wanted one of the LeoVince setups since I started with biking, so here it finally is. Because there is no can offered for the Terra,
    I sourced down their product for the G650 series. Should fit quite good to our needings because the engines are nearly identical. I found some online, still brand new, but from private personds, laying around.
    They were like 250€. For the CAT, I chose some universal 50mm cartridges from LeoVince. They are around 50-100€ online and you just push them inside the pipe before connecting the exhaust can.
    So, as soon as GPR replies (and if the answer is satisfying of course), I'll order a set of pipes and the LeoVince kit. In case the diameter of their pipes is not 50mm, there's the possibility to hand the pipes over the the exhaust shop for a small adapter welded to the setup. The can itself is fixed by a spring, so I need to attach a spring holder to the GPR pipe.

I won't reuse the original heat shield, I like a clean look of the exhaust system.

I'll probably end up in the same price range than the whole GPR system, but I'll like it a lot more.
    The whole setup should end up a little shorter than original.

Here's a little picture from one of the offered cans.

[IMG]

I'm looking forward to your opinions!

And, as always,

Greetings from Germany,

Flo
  5. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Yeah, I don't want to use the OEM heat shield, so that is one of the reasons.. I forgot to mention that. :)
  6. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    You should just cap the extra exit on the stock pipe then (right after the Y), will make things way easier for you and you'll save some money.

You could even cut it to cap it closer to where it splits if you don't want the extra length of pipe on the right side...
  7. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I thought about that, but even with proper deleting the right pipe, you would have gotten a pretty unsatisfying airflow.. I want to do it the right way :)
    If done right, there's some add in torque and high end power.
  8. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Alright, here are the exhaust news..
    GPR Germany replied saying that they don't have measurements for me. So I asked in the forums and FabOneUp was able to help, thanks again for that, mate!
    They are not able to sell me just the two pipes, only a single exhaust kit without the exhaust muffler. So there's mounting hardware and the adapter for the muffler aswell. Costs around 390€.
    I thought about hiring an exhaust shop for the job, but I would have to put my bike to their shop. All in all, it's easier (and not that more expensive) to just get the GPR stuff.
    The ending pipe diameter (without the adapter) measures 44,45mm, the adapter pipe from GPR is 54mm where it meets the can. As said before, the leovince is 50mm. So I looked up for some adapting pipe to fit the leovince muffler without the GPR adapter. I ordered the KIT yesterday. Will take around 3 weeks.
    While searching, I thought about maybe trying another muffler for some other bike model. I found out that the F650/7/800 series share the same exhaust can which has, wait for it....... 54mm!
    So I will be able to use the adapting pipe from GPR which I now get anyways. And there's already a spring holder on the adapter pipe! I will remove the other stuff like mounting brackets for the heatshield and stuff.
    Greetings,
    Flo
    DeLewis likes this.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Flo,
    Thanks for posting your build project—very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about the Nav tower and rally fairing—they look awesome. If you build it, let us know about purchasing options. Thanks!
  10. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks, man! :)
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting this thing into my hands..

By the way, I ordered the muffler yesterday. Got a complete new one because it was only 290€.. Used were around 240..
  11. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Guys, there are some news.

I ordered the SMR511 fender and new rear panels. Along with vario handlebar risers from SW-Motech.
    Installed the stuff already, see pics down below!

On monday, both mufflers will be ready to fetch at the packing station (I ordered the F-series one (370mm long) aswell as a shorter one from a Kawa Z800 (300mm)).
    I'll get the short one first to test fit. If it's to short, I'll get the F-series one.

In addition, I got seat foam and seat cover from Louis today. So I'll start to shape up the original seat as I want it tomorrow.

Here are the pics, taken this afternoon in rainy condition:

3319a98b-bd35-4641-b260-b5cec6a528e2.jpg 8a22d38a-8462-44c4-b880-c5ae95486cd2.jpg

Ride safe

Flo
  12. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Little Update: Seat is done, see for yourself :clap

IMG_20171127_153133.jpg
    IMG_20171127_153141.jpg
    jimmyc likes this.
  13. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Well done! :thumbsup:
  14. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Nice job.
  15. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks people of the internet :):D

The exhaust muffler arrived last week. But because the rally fairing will only ship end of this week and the GPR pipes some time around this or next weeks, there's not much news.
    Anyways,
    here are some pictures of the muffler:
    c2764264-4191-4711-a6ac-80fc97e8489a.jpg 9c60c3a6-5f7c-48ca-bc9d-19da8ec4aa53.jpg 243a668f-5c25-4eda-ac6e-91c4b3a4d74c.jpg 0cb38543-9aca-43a3-8f91-3b77550e06ea.jpg
    As you can see, the weight is nearly half the original exhaust can. There's around 1,5kg + a whole 3,5kg (because the can is missing now) in saving. And the pipes will save weight too. So maybe we're looking at 6-7kg in total.

Which is a lot! Along with a LiFePo ,we're hitting 10kg if lucky enough. There are many more ideas for the future to reduce weight, but for now, that's satisfying.
    Some of you may have noticed that the exhaust muffler is made for the right side (it's for a Kawasaki Z800). That is not really a problem. I might use it just like that, nice, clean look.
    Or I'll drill out the rivets, turn the hull 180° around the can. Same with the e mark clamp. Then, because the LeoVince writing will be upside down, there are these stickers which fit perfectly in the dented area:
    https://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=https://abe-motorradzubehoer.de/media/image/86/6e/63/aufkleber-leo-vince-label-emblem-logo-new-hitzefest-alu-sport-417705r-157.jpg&imgrefurl=https://abe-motorradzubehoer.de/zubehoer-sonstiges/aufkleber-label/leovince/157/aufkleber-leo-vince-label-emblem-logo-new-hitzefest-alu-sport-auspuff-sticker&docid=HgdtLMHW4RBS7M&tbnid=k5dC8p5gcLM-tM:&vet=10ahUKEwjEp5fu0vPXAhXG1qQKHaEgBlYQMwgmKAEwAQ..i&w=400&h=299&bih=949&biw=1920&q=leovince emblem&ved=0ahUKEwjEp5fu0vPXAhXG1qQKHaEgBlYQMwgmKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8.
    I will see about that as soon as the GPR pipes arrive.
    When arrived, I held the muffler next to the bike beginning at the point the GPR pipes end. Fit's perfectly. So the F-series one would have been to long.
    Until then,
    Greetings, Flo
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Wish that rally fairing would hurry up and ship! :popcorn:
    prdeb likes this.
  17. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    So, apparently, Rade's message about "the stuff is getting shipped end of the week" was meant to say that it will arrive end of the week and not leave his place at that date. I was a little surprised to find a big package when I returned from work.

The build quality is very decent. The mra windscreen is f*ing awesome. You'll see some pics below in a sec.

The only problem is, that there were some parts missing. The clamps which go around the steering stem and some upper windshield struts. Along with smaller hardware. So maybe they forgot some stuff?
    I already mailed him, I'll see about the answer.

Because I cannot start attaching the stuff without the clamps, I weighed them.
    nav tower: about 1,35kg
    windshield: about 0,650kg

I guess that's lighter than original headlight with the louis windscreen.
    But I'll see when demounting the bike.

While we're waiting for the missing parts to arrive, enjoy some pics of the screen, the tower and the little carbon panel which goes underneath the windscreen to direct wind to the headlight.

IMG_20171208_210815.jpg IMG_20171208_210835.jpg IMG_20171208_203539.jpg IMG_20171208_182045.jpg
    sussurf and duibhceK like this.
  18. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  19. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Sorry guys, the second post with the screen didn't upload properly before. Here it is now
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Sadly there isn't much weight in the original pipes, they already are "thinwall" material. Maybe a total of 200-400g, depending on how much you're replacing.