Rally Fairing and other Accessories

Discussion in 'TR650' started by risinqsun, Nov 14, 2017.

1. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Alright guys,
    thanks for the replies.
    I considered mounting it to the forks, but I want the steering to turn freely without the wait of headlight unit etc.
    And this way, I'm allowed to use the side fairings :)
    I could try to kinda fit the original headlight as soon as the tower is mounted. But I'm sceptical.
    Here's a little update:
    I was busy getting myself matriculated in the university. I have my last day of work at tuesday; wednesday is my final, practical exam. And then, february is free until studying starts in march.
    So there'll be plenty of time to finish the project.
    I completely redesigned the way the tower attaches to the bike, so I won't use the original clamps.
    The parts are currently being lasered. You'll get a nice update with lots of pictures as soon as they arrive.
    GPR kinda let me down on the exhaust pipe. They delayed the shipping four times up until now.. The newest statement says it should arrive next week..
    Of course I'll also update you on that as soon as it arrives.
    Greetings,
    Flo
    kiwiape, Chuffa and FabOneUp like this.
  2. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Small update because I want to vent my anger..

I just received a mail from GPR-Germany (translated):

In my opinion, that's a bad joke. I ordered on November, 16th after mailing with them about the possibility to order just the pipe.
    I immediately got response that my offer is accepted and that it would arrive around 3 weeks later.

After 4 weeks, I wrote them asking about the pipe. They said, it should arrive the week after, so mid of december.

A little after said week, I wrote again. They we're sorry for the delay and told me that arrival should be in beginning of january.

January, 23rd, another mail from me. This time:

And then, today, the quoted mail above saying it could not be delivered at all.
    I'm quite pissed and I'm pretty sure, I'll never use GPR parts on my bike.

Regarding the fact that the pipe is apparently discontinued, be warned about ordering exhaust systems for the Terra at GPR's.

Flo
  3. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    That's a bummer Flo, but I can't imagine the pipe making a whole lot of difference in power. You already know what to do next. Cutting the factory exhaust and adapting the Leo Vince silencer isn't too bad of an alternative. I know it's not exactly what you want, but it will be very close.
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I never like the lazy hose clam system GRP use anyway we can find better;)
  5. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Alright guys, I'm getting closer..
    It took way longer than expected because there was some other stuff that needed attention, but I brought the stuff to the welding shop today.
    Not only the parts for my nav tower, but also my exhaust pipe, exhaust can and stuff.
    He'll remove the left side and close up the hole in the remaining pipe. In addition, parts from the adapter pipe that came with the leovince will be attached to the original.
    I should be able to get the stuff next week.
    Although I wanted to share some pictures of the lasered parts, I think its better to show the final result and then post some pictures of the parts along.
    Can't wait to show you :)
    Until then,
    Greetings from Germany,
    Flo
  6. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    So, apparently, the forum was down?
    I can't say for sure, but I was not able to reach it.

So here's the stuff I already posted on advrider in the last few days:

Alright guys, I got the parts today. Finally!

Please be aware that the clamps for the steering stem still need to be shortened to around 115° (180° in the pics). And the exhaust pipe needs some grinding and polishing to give it some new shine.
    I'll head to the bike in a few, but I wanted to share some pics now!

The rest with some early shots of the mounted stuff will follow after the weekend.

If someone's interested: The clamp plate is AlMg3, the clamp itself is AlMgSi1.

Now, enjoy the pics!

20180316_171211.jpg 20180316_171216.jpg 20180316_171228.jpg 20180316_171547.jpg
  7. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  8. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    So,

again things didn't work out as planned, my girl needed to have surgery. Therefore work on the bike was a little delayed.

But here you go guys:

After getting the parts, I started taking off the rear frame and gas tank because I wanted to reposition the front brake line from abs unit to hand pump. It was a little stretched with the 50mm handlebar rise.
    Now, it's going over the cylinder head and passes steering head on the right side. That allows for more room to move.
    After putting tank and frame back, I mounted the new pipe and silencer. Looks awesome and fits pretty nice.
    My welder has to reposition the spring holder on the pipe again, but that's not a problem really. I removed the original mounting points of the old mufflers and painted it.

20180318_152457.jpg

After that, I build a holder for the muffler out stainless steel.

20180320_235722.jpg 20180320_215940.jpg 20180320_235733.jpg
  9. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    After that, I ripped off the old rubber heated grips because they were not that warm and quite slippery when wet or muddy.
    I used the selection unit and the cables and stuff to build my own heated grips.
    For that, I bought foam grips from louis. They have a rubber insert, so perfect for my plan.
    Here a quick overview:

20180324_132000.jpg 20180324_132350.jpg 20180324_132530.jpg 20180324_134433.jpg

They work perfectly. Get nice and warm, but not hot enough to burn something.
  10. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    After they heated grips, I finished cable work. The grips and my usb box get current over a relais now. Just as I wanted from the beginning.
    Then, I had to do some work on my tower plate because I forgot about the hole for my ignition switch.

Here you see some pics:

20180316_215536.jpg 20180321_144443.jpg 20180321_145452.jpg 20180321_145506.jpg
  11. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Then, I mounted the tower with 2 layers of 1mm nbr rubber. Now, it has some play through the rubber which works against getting vibrated off. Keep in mind that there's still going to be a additional rod above to reach more stability (also rubber mounted).

20180321_114354.jpg 20180324_184757.jpg 20180324_184745.jpg 20180324_184808.jpg

Alright, that's that for now. I'm now at the bike again, so I'll post some more in a few.

Greetings

snail_72, Chuffa and PaulC like this.
  12. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Alright guys,

a few pics from the current state.
    The black side panels are pvc sheets formed with heat. That's just a temporary solution for testing.

Now, I just need the cat cartridge and then she's ready for testing! :-)

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves this time.

20180327_130303.jpg 20180327_152410.jpg 20180327_152509.jpg
  13. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  14. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    20180327_215830.jpg 20180327_215809.jpg

A few hints:
    The fender ist just layed in place. It's not mounted yet.
    Lower side panels and tank cover not mounted yet.
    The final side panel version will cover the rods.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  15. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    :applause:
    What is the ADV link incase this sight goes down for good?
  16. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  17. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
  18. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    20180329_182701.jpg 20180329_182717.jpg 20180329_182727.jpg 20180329_182741.jpg

I have to say, I'm pretty proud it turned out the way it is!
  19. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    This time, I'm posting vise versa.
    I have a few more things I want to fabricate/change/mount until I'm leaving on 5th of april for a 4-day adventure through france vogesen.

Wider footpegs
    To be honest, I'm done spending money on parts when I'm sure I can find a way cheaper solution.
    Because I don't have a welding station at my place, I sourced up a solution which I kinda like for now (until maybe, in the future, I'll get some used BMW pegs).

d0736ada-4f50-4084-b3ec-44ef641ab694.jpg

NOTE: Thats a picture from the web! My solution will get more stable and a little nicer in terms of looks, but the basic idea is the same.

Brake pedal extension
    Based on the system above, I'll hammer and bend something that snugs around the existing piece to enlargen it a little for better operating offroad.

Radiator guard
    I don't know if I was just lucky until now or the danger in general is not that big, but without the high fender, I finally decided to build myself a decent radiator guard to keep it protected from rocks and other stuff. I found some nice stuff in my local hardware store when I was looking for stainless steel, so tomorrow, I'll head there again to get the guard stuff along with screws etc. for my pegs.

And, last thing: I just ordered a pair of Mitas E09, front and back (no Dakar).

I'm excited on your opinion, especially regarding the foot peg idea..

As always,
    greetings from Germany ;-)
  20. risinqsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Turns out my foot pegs are not that high than the ones in the photo. So it was not possible to just drill somewhere. I decided to not bother with it before the trip.
    I'll find a solution when I'm back.
    Same with the brake pedal.

But I did build a radiator guard.

20180401_120628.jpg

In addition to that, I mounted my new tyres. Some might wonder because they don't look like Mitas. Well, the Mitas didn't show up in time, so I got a set of TKC 80 from a local dealer. Mitas will go back.

Enjoy the pics, tomorrow at 8am I'll leave to southern vogesen.

20180404_185139.jpg
    20180404_194031.jpg
    20180404_195433.jpg

Sorry, cafehusky turns the pics sideways when posting from the phone. No chance to change that now.

Flo