MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :thinking: Just wondering for all that are having problems with their bikes off-idle response or sputtering.
    What type or grade of fuel are you using. My bike has not had the Moss update yet.(still waiting for that 1000km mark)
    But really runs very crisp not one hesitation. I use Chevron Supreme Plus 94 which claims 0% ethanol.
  2. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I use a 98 RON fuel. No issues with acceleration and I find it only wants to stall on take off after a cold start; regardless of how long it let it idle for to warm up. Just need to give it a little extra throttle & slower clutch release. Fine after every subsequent take off.
  3. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I read this last night and was going to call the shop....but they called me first this afternoon, after speaking with Husqvarna. He said everything he'd been taught at husky school said "use the VIN"....it all has to tie the bike to the record of work done, etc.
    Today they told him "go around the VIN" :applause: and he called to let me know he's ready when I am.
    Coffee likes this.
  4. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    91 octane at every fill... with the caveat that this is winter mix at altitude.
    Still, I've ridden a couple dozen bikes under identical conditions without the gas causing any symptoms like this.
  5. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Thats great at least you have a dealer with a MOSS tool.
  6. craig hodges Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    I wonder if we need to start a before and after first service / MOSS reset thread. From what I'm reading most bikes have had the stall/ rough idle issue. My bike was acually much smother before the first service. After the first service I noticed a higher idle speed initially. The idle speed is at almost at stall now and you have to slightly twist the throttle to get it to start. Thought it had a minimum throttle interlock to allow it to start ? My friends bike hasn't had the first service yet and he has basically the same issue. Wished I would have left well enough alone. I may call the dealer tomorrow and see what they suggest.
  7. blueghost75 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Who have you been working with at GP? I have a deposit down on their demo bike. I stalled it 4 times during the demo ride. I thought it was just me, but it sounds like the bike needs a 'flash'. I'm going to have them do it before taking delivery, but it would help to know who exactly I should have the sales guy talk with. PM it to me if you want. Thanks!!!

8. Bark Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm not sure who I've talked there, but if you have good luck and get it done, is there any chance you could let me know who you went through there?
    Thanks
  9. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    GP had the bike for a week and was not able to get online with the MOSS tool. I took it to Big D a week or two later when I got the chance, and they jumped right on it.
    They also were not able to get a software hookup, as the tool didn't accept my VIN. They're the ones that called me back after talking to Husqvarna and being told to 'go around the VIN'.

They're closed Wed and the tech has Thurs off (open Sun/Mon though) and I'd like to get it done before the weekend ride coming up....so I"m going to try GP again this afternoon.
    I need to go by there anyway.... they took the cap off the tool connector and left it off, so I need to get it back.
    The main service guy and Justin are the two I've dealt with at GP.
  10. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Success!

I brought the bike over to GP this afternoon, they were slow enough to fit me in. Service Manager Roger Meyer fired up the MOSS tool...and got a notice it needed to do two hours of updates :D
    I thought that would probably take less time....so I kicked every tire in the joint for a while. It didn't take two hours, they had the bike hooked up pretty quickly.
    Reset went fairly quickly....it had to sit idling untouched for a bit - then they took it for a test spin and I was ready to go.

I'm not sure how different the levels of crap idling / throttle response are that different people experience, but mine could be pretty horrible at times.
    Now though, it's crisp right off idle and as normal as you'd expect a spanking new fuel injected bike to be. Job well done.
    Coffee, kjackbrown and HuskyDude like this.
  11. minigunz Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 FXDX DYNA SUPER GLIDE HARLEY

I just got back from Broens Motor works and they Moss flashed my TR650 with 200 miles on it for $53.00, runs great now, BMW DEALERS can do this
    Mighty happy
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    What is your general location? Trying very hard to summarize who can do the MOSS thing..

(perhaps fill that in your profile?)
  13. blueghost75 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I finished up the paperwork on mine on Thursday, they (Grand Prix) did the MOSS flash for me and delivered it yesterday. Runs great now, no stalls!

Now I just need to keep twisting their arm on the tool kit.....

HuskyDude likes this.
  14. Richie Tuna Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Triumph RS, 2012 Hayabusa
    Wow, they charged you $53. Is that because you only had 200 miles on it? I have my first service scheduled for Thursday and I made sure my shop has the MOSS tool and will reflash for no charge.
    My shop is Cycle Specialties in Modesto Ca.
  15. Richie Tuna Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Triumph RS, 2012 Hayabusa
    Cycle specialties in Modesto have the MOSS tool and had no problem with my request to reflash. I will update once it's done for the final outcome.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Well you could still fill in your location in your profile :D

California, Northern California, USA... something. I am especially interested in TR650 owners doing that because I am sure there will be an attempt at a group ride at some point.

:cheers:
    nev.. and HuskyDude like this.
  17. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    guessing it's because it's not a Husqvarna dealer, but a BMW shop.
    Luge likes this.
  18. joebtx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I have heard that if you start the engine up and just let it idle for 5 min with out touching the throttle, it will allow the ecu to remap on it's own. There is also a fix that has been used on BMWs for quit sometime. It is called a Booster plug. It is a is a direct plug-in replacement for the temperature sensor in the air box. It lies to the ecu by telling the ecu that the air temperature is colder than it really is and the ecu increases the fuel to air ratio. I know that my Terra is very lean and could use the increase in the fuel mixture. Here is the web site. http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/husqvarna-23c1.html
    I am going to get one for my bike as I have a friend who has one, it cured a lot of things on his bike.
    JoeBtx
  19. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thx Joe
    If you want some more reading... a thread was started back last Nov. on that too.

Booster Plug

:cheers:
  20. danielcure Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500. CR250, CBR400, CBR600RR, VTR1
    Hi Guys, I am up for my 1000K service but live in Vancouver Canada... The place I purchased the bike from does not have the moss tool. My bike is cutting out constantly, once even on the highway at about 80km with a truck behind me... Is there anyone else that lives in Vancouver, BC, Canada that has had their bike serviced and "mossed" :) or does anyone know of a place in bellingham that has the mos tool..?