MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    As I don't have a service manual, does a motor bike need an idle stepper motor? No cycling loads like power steering or air cond like a car. It could pulse the injector a bit longer for increased fuel for cold start & fast idle. Can anyone confirm this?

If it does have a stepper motor and it is faulty, this could cause an erratic idle. Is it pulse width modulated (PWM) controlled? Thanks
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there is a idle speed adjustment screw and there is not a stepper motor.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you have to ask, you can't afford it !!!
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Hmmmmm, the tech who ran the MOSS on my bike told me that he "reflashed the stepper motor" while he was at it, and he was just back from the school where they taught the TR650. They did a complete tear down and re-build. 'Wonder what he was talking about...
  5. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Good question... the idea of, and the actual term 'reflash' was something another guy at my dealership mentioned first.

When I asked if there was a 'hop up kit' like the TE 630 and TE 310 had (and were usually installed pre-delivery) - he said "no hop up kit, but we can re-flash it after some break-in miles..."
    I think the term was used loosely. I also heard multiple mentions of an 'idle control module' by the guy I've been dealing with.

The MOSS tool was still down today and phone calls to the mother ship weren't being answered or returned. They were told 24-48 hrs, so tomorrow with luck.

It's beginning to grate on me a bit that a 10-minute hookup for a TPS reset has turned into a week without the bike. The dealer is putting it all down to the BMW-KTM transition.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    The fuel injection mapping, and everything with an on-board computer is "flashed" in the same manner as a BIOS on your computer. EFI systems are not run by software. They are run by firmware, which is normally stored in non-volatile "flash" memory. Hence the term "flashing". When you reprogram EFI, you aren't applying a patch like you would in a software application. Technically you are replacing the entire firmware with a newer debugged version. Now, keep in mind that the firmware on the digital dash is separate from the firmware on the EFI. So when "flashing" the EFI using the MOSS tool, you don't loose mileage history or anything like that.
    Disclaimer: This opinion is based on general theory and a lifetime of being a professional geek. The fundamentals should apply for all systems.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  7. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I understand all about that stuff.
    They are doing a throttle position sensor reset on mine, nothing else.
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    My tech was specific in saying that he updated the EFI system AND the "stepper" or idle module, what ever that is. Two separate reflashes. He said that the stepper didn't really need it, but he did it anyway. Qualification: I'm an EFI dummy!
  9. boysie Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    You will find the stepper motor in the parts support manual page 16
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Actually it is page 44, drawing number 16.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've yet to 'bond' / play with / 'tear into' my TR650...
    HuskyDude likes this.
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Coffee didn't you take the wheels and things off your toys when you were a kid?? Heck every toy car I had was always missing wheels etc.:busted:
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Of course! Just too busy these days...
  13. Bark Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    As another data point, I bought my Terra from GP motorsports in January, it stumbles and occasionally stalls. When I had the service done in mid February, they had trouble with the Moss tool and told me to come back. Fast forward to this week, and I spoke to the service manager who said he had a bike waiting for a flash (Blakebird's probably) and that he was waiting on his Husky rep to sort things out. I left my number with him and he told me he'd call when the tool was up. Today I called again and spoke with someone else at the service counter, I asked if the moss tool was ready for doing a reflash, and he told me that the only bikes that got reflashes are the Husky 300's. I didn't push because I figured it might be a terminology difference between TPS adjustment and reflash after reading here, and because I trust I'll hear back from the service manager, here's to hoping.
  14. Beemermcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra - "Burro"
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 BMW 1200 GSA, 2000 DRZ400e
    Similar problem at my dealership - I guess the Husky "technical" reps are not very technical nor very customer oriented. I would say that hopefully would change under KTM, but doubt it: KTM dealers seem almost as lost with their version of Moss as the Husky folks are.
  15. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    A week's wait and nothing happening got old - I went by the other day and picked up the bike.
    I'll take it back when they get this access issue sorted.
    HuskyDude likes this.
  16. Richie Tuna Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 Triumph RS, 2012 Hayabusa
    Hello All, This is my first post as well and was glad to find so much information on my new Strada! I to have to cold engine stumble starting in first gear, as well as, the engine stalling when decelling when the clutch is pulled in. My dealer salesman was trying to tell me that this is because the bike is new and everything is tight. The lean fuel map makes much more sense and I was glad to hear of the MOSS tool. I to will wait until 600 miles to bring it back and will make sure the re-map is free. It seems this could very well be a safety issue if the engine dies at the wrong instant:thumbsdown: All in all, this bike is a blast to ride:thumbsup: I haven't owned a thumper since my Yamaha XT550 in the 80"s. Looking forward to splitting time in the saddle between my Trumpet and my husky:applause:
  17. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    My bike had the "sensors reset" during the 1,000km service. It has not made any difference to the rough, unstable idle. When the dealer reflashed the ECU they couldn't find my VIN on the BMW system so he used a generic software package. He said there is now newer s/w for my bikes VIN and that they will reflash again. Does this senario make sense to anyone?
  18. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yes I would say about right.:thumbsup: I believe there was a software update. So if he just used " generic software package" his words I would say you have not received the update.

All this should be warranty right.? You should make sure.

:cheers:
  19. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    The first dealer had no luck getting connected to the MOSS tool in a week of having the bike, so at other folk's recommendations I took it to a different shop that came highly recommended.
    Without hesitation they took it back and hooked it up... The connection was slow and troublesome, and when they did get on, the machine recognized my VIN only as having had the warranty 'activated' the day I bought the bike.
    The MOSS tool would not recognize my VIN, essentially stopping that TPS reset / reflash (whatever it is they do) dead in it's tracks. He'd never seen it happen before, but once they get an answer it will be a 10 minute job.

I put a few tanks of gas thru the bike this last weekend. The off-idle response, dying at idle at a stoplight - both vary. Some times it seems a well warmed up bike doesn't have the symptoms as much....then it will sputter and die at a stoplight. It did that more than a few times, then it might run relatively cleanly off idle (never crisply though, just not as horrible sometimes).

Looking forward to getting it sorted.
  20. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Theres a way around the vin numbers?Your dealer may need to reset idle actuator then go on to resetting the rest of the parameters ;then set idle actuator one more time.99% of the bikes we have MOSSED have had to go around the vin # However you must have correct model and country designstion firsdt or it will never work.