MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Bought my TR expecting a few issues on the low end. There is a lot of chatter about stalling here and on ADV. Eurosport in Asheville told me about the MOSS flash and said they would do it during setup unless I objected. I let them have at it.

I have no pre-flash experience to compare to. However, what I have now is a bike with 0 throttle and idling issues. It takes off from a stop just fine, and if I'm willing to duck walk it, I can get it moving without any throttle input.
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Remember this is just for Canada.All other bets are off.
    :cheers:
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    This wasn't from our old owners.... rather our new ones.

Hey anything posted on here is just Rumors/Gossip/Chatter...call it what you want.
    It's something to do while we wait for the weekend so we can go riding.

:cheers:
    mario33 likes this.
  4. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I just picked up my TR a few days ago, and after having a TE 610, TE 630, and TE 310 I asked if there was a "hop up kit" like what was available for the other two injected bikes...
    I was told there's a re-flash they can do, but recommended doing it after some miles were on the bike....maybe do it at the 600 service.

As I rode it away, I noticed a bothersome fluffy off idle response - but have not had any issues beyond that, doesn't die on trailing throttle, fuels perfectly in the midrange and up top.
    But giving it a twist of throttle there's a bit of a delay right off idle, and it doesn't have much snap until you get it off that idle circuit and moving forward.

Now reading this thread on the MOSS I know a bit more about what to expect - and I'll be down there next week for a reflash.
    It improves when it warms up, but is still annoying enough that I'd like to see some improvement there.
  5. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Got mine a week ago....same exact thing. Asked them to flash it before I took deli very but the guy said the new ones already have the new software. After about 5 miles I knew better. Not sure....but I think there might be more to it than just a new fuel map in the reflash. That probably why the dealers want us to get some miles on first.

I stopped in tp pick up my plate Friday and service dude said he seconds at least 500 miles before the first service. Looks like I will have to get another 300 in before I can go. Does $200 sound right for the first service? He said I need to schedule 2 weeks in advance too
  6. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Depends on what they do... If they inspect valve lash then it's a very good deal. Most shop rates around here are close to $100 / hr, and I've read that getting to the top end with all the airbox paraphernalia is a time eater.
    Sounds like they might just be doing an oil and filter change, the usual once-over check, and rotating the air in the tires for $200.

I'd ask if they intend to charge for the reflash....or as I'd put it.... "are you going to charge me to get it to run properly" :D
  7. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Lol...as I understand it, rotating the tire air can be a time consuming task! I would to see what they would charge to change out the blinker fluids!!!
  8. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Since this bike is new to me and I haven't read this section of Cafe Husky (TR650) in depth yet....the other night I dug to the last page, and saw mention of "no dealers will charge for this" with regards to the re-flash.
    HARDER1 likes this.
  9. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    My Dealer told me that all MOSS work comes with the bike. No charge.
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    My bike got it's first service at around 400 miles as I was at the dealer then. The MOSS made ALL the difference in throttle response and it is perfect now. If you change elevations by trailer, remember to let it idle for three minutes before taking off to give the computer time to do it's thing. The mechanic said that the valve service took 6 hours at school but that he could do it now in 5. So, yes, a time eater. I will have them do the first valve set and then expect to go 20K miles or so afterward.
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    When will you have them do your valves? How many miles you got now KW?
  12. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    My dealer just did the Moss update to my bike. He is not very familiar with the Moss and missed the class that was offered for the short period of time.
    I wanted to check to see if someone can tell me if there is an off-road map in there besides the update to the idle issue etc. or was that the only possible update? Thx
  13. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    I'm pretty sure there is no "off-road" map for the bike. I remember the idle part of the re-map. And it made a BIG difference!
  14. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Ok, thanks 1. Just wanted to make sure. These guys are good but not Moss conversant. He said there are so many places you can go in there and he did not have time to explore all etc. I The good news is , he just did this on Tuesday and that should quell any no longer active rumors about the Moss.
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    This is for our fellow Canadian TR Brethren only.
    Norman Wells the General Manager for BMW Canada Motorrad just wrote me and said I may take my TR to a BMW Motorrad Shop and have the update done which will be covered by them.:banana:
    But any warranty work will still have to go the your Husqvarna Dealer...
    OK, OK a least it is a step in the right direction.:thumbsup:

hudler and Coffee like this.
  16. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Yesterday I called the dealer where I bought the bike and asked if I needed an appointment to have the reflash done. I was told it would take them about an hour, and to bring it on in when I could - early is best before they get busy. Also verified it was no charge...

I rode over there today and got a completely different story.
    They wrote up a tag with a $114 charge on it, and when I said "This is warranty though, right?" ...and that I had called and spoke with... and was told it was no charge.
    "We need to verify that - with the change in hands we now have to get authorization".

Really.... that all changed between yesterday's phone call and today?

So it appeared they were just needing to verify it was a warranty/rideability issue vs. something I'd have to pay for.
    I'd have to leave the bike or come back once they got the okie dokie....so I called the better half to come get me.

While I was waiting, I went back in to ask the service mgr what was up....and he says that since all the tunes/reflashes are done online, that BMW has blocked access and they can't get on to even do the work - it was nothing to do with me getting it done for free. :censored:

I feel like I just had a bit of smoke blown up my dress.... have a couple of phone calls to make to other dealers I've dealt with to see if this story holds any air at all.
  17. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...doesn't sound quite right.
  18. HARDER1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400S
    X2
  19. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Just got a call - they rode the bike to see for themselves what might be at fault. They're pretty sure it's not something a reflash would have fixed - but it definitely needs some help with the idle circuit.
    Doesn't want to idle cleanly....will pop, burp, die unless you hold the throttle on a bit to force a faster idle. Can die on trailing throttle pulling up to a stop...

They're digging into it, running diagnostics and will find out what's at fault - parts likely required....could be quick if the parts are stateside or not so quick if they come from across the pond.
    Won't know much about the actual problem until tomorrow sometime.
  20. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Ya know hope things work out for you. By next week I'm sure some different light will be shone on all this.
    A big press release is schedule that should clean up lots of speculations.