MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Thanks Bill, I know you are doing a great job.
  2. gunnr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610, TERRA
    Great news Bill, I rode your demo and may have to come back down for another ride to see the difference. I am looking to buy after the new year gets underway.
  3. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    My Strada was the terrible running Strada Bill refers to above. I took it in five weeks ago to get the stalling and poor running resolved. It was the guinea pig for Bill's MOSS setup. I got the call Saturday that it was ready to go, and went down after lunch today and rode it home. 75 miles later, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the result. The stall off idle is gone, the stumbling below 4k is gone, it runs perfectly from idle to red line. I could take it down to 2k RPM in top gear, then accelerate from there. Starting from a stop is now very predictable, just like it should be. If your careful you can start in first with no throttle, it didn't have a chance of doing that when I first got.

I can't see any reason to buy a booster plug, the bike is fine as is. If you are having issues with yours, I'd get it into a dealer that has the MOSS system and get it fixed, they run great after.

Kudos to Bill for getting this resolved.
  4. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I would like to add a kudos to BILLF for his contributions here on CafeHusky. It is great to have someone from the inside here with us.:)
    FER QUILES, Lonfish and Motosportz like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    hands down the best dealer I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He has been in the game a long time with the same employees and is a very solid source for our husky needs.
    FER QUILES and Lonfish like this.
  6. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Glad to hear that the MOSS reset fixed the stalling/running issues.

What was found to be the cause and fix for the gas in the oil?
  7. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    I plan on changing it this weekend and starting over, then getting an oil analysis after some mileage. I've only run it once, but the garage did not smell after that run.
  8. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    According to Derek and Jason at the Gathering, *IF* the Nuda comes to the states, it won't be what we've been seeing, it'll be like a V-Strom.

If that proves to be true, it's the most disappointing "new bike news" I've heard in a long time.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Has anyone from the first batch of problem bikes taken them in for a remap with the MOSS tool? Krussell had a major problem that needed addressed and got it taken care of, but this question is for people with lesser issues of slower throttle response and off idle lag we experienced.

This may be too soon to ask since a lot of dealers, including mine, do not have the tool yet. BILLF has made it pretty clear it will make the issues go away, so the bikes really need to go back as soon as possible. My new Terra runs waaaaay better than the old one. No hesitations, no flat spots, and fast revving.

I guess I just want everyone to know that I know first hand it will make a huge improvement and it is well worth the time to take it in when your dealer is ready....That's all.:)
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  10. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    All thats really needed at set up is "idle actuator reset" thats the main fix for them,almost all the dealers should have the tool by now and be patient ,even after doing a number of bikes it gets a bit time consuming ,updating passwords and all that goes along with doing this on MOSS its not just plug and go ,first it has designate the bike model and USA and vin # and multiple steps before it will actually connect to the bike for reset ,not like Ibeat or HTS where you plug in type away and are done in minutes.Just hang in there everyone will get hooked up they all will be purring away.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  11. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you for clarifying. :)
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm a little concerned about this BMW based Moss diagnostics tool being the only way to read the TR's ECU. Not sure dealers (if they haven't already) will be willing to put out that kind of $$ if Husky/KTM stops making the TR. Or more realistically they will change the ECU so they don't need the BMW base tool for the next years production run and we will be stuck with this unique bike.
    Hope they come up with a solution that won't cost $$$ to the dealers.
    Maybe a new ECU upgrade for all previous non Husky/KTM TR's ...that would work.:D
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Did you buy a TR650?

Which reminds me, I need to update the bike listings in my profile..
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yes I've joined the club too.:D (Yes I should change mine as well.)
    Coffee likes this.
  15. Marc Cook Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    For any of you on the fence about the recalibration through the BMW Moss tool, I can only say: Do it.

Here at Motorcyclist, we have both a Terra and a Strada. Our Terra wasn't bad off the bottom, but would still stall occasionally. Our Strada was quite a bit worse.

Husky's press department took both bikes back for the recal. I haven't ridden the Terra since (though Ari Henning says he can't feel a lot of difference from before), but the Strada is a whole new machine after the operation. It's still a teeny bit soft off the bottom, but it no longer stalls or bucks or complains in any way.

Just FYI.

Marc @ Motorcyclist
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good info thanks, will do.
  17. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    My dealer has said to come anytime. Is this just simply plugging into the machine for the latest map? Or is there something specific that has to be applied? My Strada has seemed to improve some. Has died a total of 4 or 5 times in 580 miles. It's completely at random when it happens. It's always as I am rolling into the throttle though. And usually at the most busy intersection..a inexperienced rider could have a bad day on this machine as it sits today...I am sure it's fueling and is exactly like everyone has described. Looking forward to having it fixed. My dealer is 120 miles away.
  18. Marc Cook Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Trapper:

That sounds about like our Terra was, but the Strada could be made to stall at will. I'm riding the Terra home tonight and will see if it's better with the refresh.

I wish I could describe the process, but I wasn't there. It apparently didn't take long because our shop guy was back before noon.

Marc
  19. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    I called to see if my dealer got the MOSS tool and they did get it but haven't figured out how to use it just yet... Something about passwords? At any rate, I'm glad to know a fix is close at hand. I've got roughly 350mi on my terra, 200 of which were on road... And in that 200 miles I'm guessing I stalled (or it stalled with no help from me) at LEAST a dozen times. Every single time it happened right at the worst time- just as the light turned green... I've gotten really good at relighting this thing quickly! Chicago drivers not known for their patience. They say a few weeks and that's fine by me.
  20. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    Eurosport in Ashville has sold about a dozen TRs ..(according to sales mgr.) the service advisor said they have had "a couple" that they have used the Moss on to improve throttle response. I scheduled an appointment for noonish tomorrow..so I'll keep you posted. This same problem in a automobile could cause big time bad things to happen. I am sure it's a problem that Husky/ KTM..knows about. My bike can go miles and miles on a ride without stumbling ...is a bit worse before it completely warms up. But even warmed up it can still sometimes stumble. It does not always die...but it sure shouldn't be this way.

I reckon it's something that F/I lends itself to..and a growing pain for a first year bike maybe
    I do believe that if the dealer had hooked up to the Moss before I took her home she would be fine...I purchased on a Saturday near closing time..bike had 8 miles at delivery from service ride. Probably should have taken another loop. Lol