MOSS Tool works awesome.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BILLF, Dec 15, 2012.

1. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Did you buy all your Huskies from Grand Prix? If so, how were they to deal with on the service/warranty work on them? If they continue to give you the run around, take it to Big D Motorsports in Woodland Park. Ryan is the tech and he will tell it to you straight. I truly believe your bike just needs a reset blakebird. The symptoms you have are the same that most have had.
  2. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I bought my '07 TE610 used in San Antonio, my TE 630 new from Gateway BMW/Husqvarna in St Louis - but the TE310 and TR650 Terra did both come new from Grand Prix.
    Neither needed any service/warranty work until the fueling issue with the TR. I've not used their service dept before except to have tires mounted (1/2 price Dunlop place), but I don't get a bad vibe about them at all in that respect. I'm sure they are a capable place. When I picked up my TE 310, they installed the 'hop up kit' before I took delivery, and rode it around, made a few adjustments....rode it again, adjusted....before giving me a printout and sending me on my way. The 310 ran perfect.

At first I thought they had an issue with doing the reflash for free...with all the talk about getting approval from the rep, etc. - and when that changed to not being able to access the computer it just had a bad feel and sound to it. Two different reasons back to back - I think most people would arch an eyebrow over that one.
    Could be on the up and up...no way to know. I don't like to smack talk them just for getting a weird vibe when it could all be true.

I called Big D to get their take on the online access thing - and yes, they've done a lot of them and it's no big deal.
    But he did say he hadn't done one in a couple of weeks, so who knows what may have changed re: getting access to the MOSS tool online.
    I called Gateway too (bought an R100RS from them a few weeks ago and rode it back - great place to do business with), but the service guy didn't call back. Busy place, not a problem....

I explained to GP that the fueling issue I had is quite common, and the fix is almost universally a reflash - but any time you say "I heard it on the internet" a dealer will give you a roll of the eyes.
    I'll see what GP has to say after they run diagnostics (without the Moss tool?? :excuseme::rolleyes: ) and go from there.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Don't quote me on this, because reading this has just triggered a vague memory about something the mechanic at my local Husky dealer was telling me when he had my bike hooked up to the MOSS a few weeks back, and I'm not 100% sure whether I have remembered this correctly, but I'm pretty sure he said that BMW are security paranoid and they have to regularly change the passwords on the MOSS system and that if he doesn't turn it on for a while and the password expires then they have to get the BMW Germany people (where the MOSS connects) to give them access back into their MOSS, and that although the MOSS systems are installed in dealerships worldwide, they can only get assistance during German business hours. Pain in the arse he reckons for Australian dealers because during summer time here there is no overlap between working hours, and during winter hours the overlap will only be about 1 hour late in the evening local time. This might explain why an irregularly used MOSS wasn't available after being told that it would be.
  4. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    My TR hasent stalled once...there is a slight stumble off idle when about to accelerate and a slightly noticable irratic idle, its mostly noticeable within the first 10 min or so of riding untill the engine warms up. If i baby the bike it will comeback once or twice throughout the day, but thats it.

I do find though if i drive the bike like i stole it, basically front wheel up at every start, in second before the front wheel touches the ground again, shifting at 5-6 k rpm....riding in the twisties at close to 5k so the bike remains in its powerband... The TR runs top notch all day. No stumble, no pop's or anything. Its almost like the bike like to have its legs stretched.

I did mention to my dealer about the MOSS tool, i got the "deer in headlight" look!!!...nearest dealer from him is just over 300km away...dosent give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about support, if needed.
  5. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    pretty much same as James. waiting on 650 miles to pass so I can get re-flashed
  6. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I stopped by this afternoon - they left a voice mail saying they had it hooked up to the MOSS tool, but waiting for the password to get accepted was taking forever.
    They still suspect the idle control module due to the symptoms they experienced - but it was hooked up to the tool in plain sight when I stopped by, so I'm convinced whatever the culprit turns out to be, it will be fixed as soon as they can get it done.
    The password thing sounds like it could be the hangup though!
    FabOneUp likes this.
  7. Luge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    sold them all
    I am also waiting on 600 miles for the first service and moss flash, my bike has not died, but has a cough in the lower rpm's sometimes.
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    This is a good idea. That way they also can "zero the clock" sorta speak. :thumbsup:
  9. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Hi all, my first post on this very informative & helpful forum.

I have noticed that the hot idle on my bike is erratic & embarrassing especially when waiting at the traffic lights. I think these 48hp restricted bikes (mine is a LAMS version for Aust learner licensing) are too lean as the header pipe glows dull red after a ride in low light conditions. Has anyone else found this on both restricted & unrestricted (58hp) bikes? Cheers
    snail_72 and nev.. like this.
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Make sure you clear any air from the cooling system before you do anymore troubleshooting. That is your #1 culprit to a hot engine on a new bike, and it takes just a few minutes to fix.

The fuel mixture for restricted/unrestricted may have something to do with it, but imagine the EFI system would account for that.
  11. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Are you getting the warning light flashing on the dash and the temp gauge hitting max and flashing ?
    Congrats on the TR. Where in Aus are you ? I have the unrestricted version which does not run that hot, but the mechanic at my local dealer told me that if I let it idle in a dark garage I would see the pipe glowing red. Not sure if he'd ever seen that on an unrestricted model though.
    snail_72 likes this.
  12. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Thanks Nev, no not overheating; fan comes on about 2/3rds on the temp gauge scale. I'll try the idling in the garage though...

Cooling system appears to be okay. When I got the radiator cap off, the tank was full and when I squeezed the hoses, the level altered so I guess they're full of coolant.
  13. roscotom Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BMW F800GS Adventure
    OK this worked for me. I checked the fluid levels in the overflow tank and it was fine. Then I took the radiator cap off and found the level low. I think this is caused by a air lock. With the main cap off and the overflow cap off the water in the main tank Will start to rise. Let it fill and put the main cap back on. Then top off your overflow tank. Now you should be good to go.
    Do this when engine is cold and the engine off.
    My temp never gets close to overheating now.
  14. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Got a call today - the dealer got a call from overseas letting them know the MOSS tool would be down/offline for 24-48 hrs, then they'd be able to do a TPS reset.
    According to the mfr'r....there isn't a "reflash", but many bikes have had a TPS reset done to fix the off idle stumble.

Maybe the term 'reflash' was tossed around when "throttle position sensor reset" would have been more appropriate...
    Another day to wait....but it's cold and wet out anyway.
    nev.. likes this.
  15. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Thanks for the info blakebird. I know previous bikes i have owned, some smart people had created software and USB plugs to allow owners to do a TPS reset at home and even load their own EFI maps. It's quite common among Buell owners (I owned one a few years back needed the TPS reset every few thousand miles just to keep it running nicely between trips to the service dept). Triumph riders also have access to some good EFI tuning software.
  16. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    This sounds like what my bike needs. My dealer suggested increasing the idle speed to correct a rough idle. Apparently there's an adjustment screw on the trottle body. Not sure if that will cure this problem.

Most heavy duty electronic engines & transmissions I have worked on that have a TPS are self calibrating after the initial installation. Sounds like a pain to have to recal regularly.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    which is generous because they paid dearly for that tool.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    IMHO thats a bandaid until you can get the MOSS thing done. My bike runs good stock, real good, but I'll still take it to Bills soon for the MOSS gig.
  19. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I bought a T3 Speed Triple in '95 when Triumph first hit American shores again...and had a '97 T595 Daytona, their first EFI bike.
    We were downloading new tunes every couple of weeks, and I remember when the original Tuneboy was 'born'....
  20. boysie Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    TPS should be factory set and not need any further adjustment.