Booster Plug

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Kenneth Webb, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Many good things have been said and written about the Booster Plug which seems to have been developed mainly for BMW motorcycles. This is just a heads up that yesterday I contacted them and inquired about the possibility of getting one for our BMW equiped 650s, and surprise, surprise, I received an immediate response! Yes, they have a prototype in the works but it is several weeks out yet. This might be just the thing to cure that evil lean spot low in the rpm range. http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html If someone else doesn't play guinea pig first, I may have to volunteer.
  2. AvidR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WeeStrom, C50,
    This could be good, especially if it performs as advertised:

- Improved and softer throttle response when rolling the throttle on-off.
    - Enrichment of Air/Fuel mixture when you open the throttle will improve acceleration.
    - Remove the Jerky low speed running that is typical for modern lean burn engines.
    - Stronger and more reliable Idle.
    - Reduced Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust on engine braking.

Alternatively, when I turn on my key I've noticed that the term "MAP II" appears for a moment in the upper left corner of the information screen. Any insight on this? It seems to indicate, at least, that other fuel maps exist and have been tried by Husqvarna.
  3. Ol'NumNuts Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wantin a Terra 650
    Heads Up...

Big Dog has fitted one- the very first that was factory sanctioned anyway...

Seems to be doing what it's supposed to do...

Not sure how to post a link but it is
    Bigdogadventures.com
  4. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We got a bunch of them for Terra and Strada on order being shipped asap they are $149.95 estimate arrival time about 10-14 days.
    billshusky.com
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Excellent. That's a dealer for you right there. Good job. Please let us know what you think. I might grab one even though my TR650 is more than acceptable.
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    will do.
  7. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    just spotted 2 available on flea bay $149.95 for the Terra. Once tamed a wild F800GS with one of these, worked really good!
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    So it lowers the temperature by 35 degrees to the efi ambient airbox sensor, haha nice. Not sure why that should cost $150
  9. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    SHhh.... B.M.W
  10. big-t Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm,yamaha
    Installed mine yesterday,:applause:The idle is much smoother and I don't have to feather the clutch when taking off.No time for a long distance test right now but at this point it looks like a good mod.

BTW:The temp display dropped from 56 degrees before installation to 33 degrees after.Makes no difference a to me cause I never look at it anyway.....
  11. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    i installed mine last night, as well. I did not yet test ride the bike, but the machine idled smoothly after the booster plug installed.

some observations:

-I am posting pics of some hidden fasteners. Someone here had trouble separating the pieces. I had to pull pretty vigorously to get the white and red tabs separated. At the front...I simply missed a fastener. And do not forget the one under the top black tank cover.
    -I routed my booster plug wire over the radiator first. So....Unlike bigdog i routed my temp sensor to the front/right and twist-tied it to the metal brake line. It is out of the way visually, but still in the airstream. Bigdog's airbox location for the temp sensor is fine, too. I just wanted it away from any traces of radiant engine or radiator heat. I made sure I left enough slack in the wire for a full turn to lock. The actual booster plug (black box) was twist-tied to other cables just under the bike's airbox.
    -The connection of the booster plug is simple. Unplug the factory connector at the temp senor (bottom fascia of the airbox--press on the spring metal clip to loosen its grip) and plug what you pulled out into the booster plug (female to male, so hard to go wrong). The other end of the booster plug plugs into the stock sensor connector location. It is a simple in series connection.
    -You will need torx fasteners. I also found it easier to detach the bottom black panel to free up the red one (or at least to see how things were connected in there).

Attached Files:

FabOneUp and Pepe like this.
  12. Pepe Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 BMW 1200GS
    Thanks for posting! I'm not very mechanically inclined so your post really helps. I ordered the booster plug a couple of days ago so it should be on its way.
    Question: What do you mean by needing torx fasteners. Do you end up breaking some of the ones that came with the bike? or what? and which type?

Thanks!
  13. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    my ducati has allen type fasteners, but some of the cars and the Husky use star-shaped bolt heads. You will just need that type of screwdriver (mine are ratchet mounted bits). You can get a set at Sears or any other auto parts store.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
    Pepe likes this.
  14. gunnr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610, TERRA
    Has anyone with a booster plug installed checked their mileage. Curious minds want to know???
  15. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    I was thinking I was going to be ordering a booster plug, but after having my bike retuned via the MOSS computer at the dealer all of my stalling / stumbling / lean running issues were resolved. I highly recommend folks get their dealer involved if there bike isn't running right before they run off an invest in the booster plug. See http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/moss-tool-works-awesome.29435
  16. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We have them in stk now $149.95 $6.00 shipping. billf
  17. Pepe Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 BMW 1200GS
    I email Jens, the creator of the Booster Plug, asking him: if the dealer retunes/resets the bike is there still a need for the booster plug? and this is what he answered:

"The lean running issues are well known on most bikes, and no matter what kind of software updates the factory provides, they are still constraint by the weird environmental laws that is made for cars with a huge flywheel. The large flywheel weight in a car will allow it to run reasonably well with the very lean mixture (around 14.4:1), but a bike with very little flywheel will always struggle. An updated software (a reset ?) may prevent the bike from the occasional stall, but it certainly still needs a little enrichment for best drivability.
    The BoosterPlug will take the bike from the very lean Air/Fuel Ratio of 14.4:1 to a far more reasonable 13:6:1 at low speeds plus acceleration/deceleration, but will do nothing when you maintain a steady speed on the open roads. This will take the Air/Fuel Ratio back to the "light side" when you need it to improve the drivability on your bike, but still preserve fuel on longer tours.
    Even though the BoosterPlug seems like a simple device, it's actually a very elegant solution. So the bottom line is that the BoosterPlug will certainly still benefit your bike - even though the dealer/factory claims that they fixed it."

I had already ordered the Booster Plug prior to this email but have not install it yet. I may still have the dealer reset/retune the bike at some point, but my bike for the most part has been running pretty good - so with the Booster Plug installed, I shouldn't need to reset it.
  18. Xch Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda
    I always had my 650 efi reset at service time if necessary or if required by slightly poor running and would always recommend that be done. I would refit the Booster Plug after the service and the bike ran better and cooler than ever.
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I finally got around to fitting my Booster Plug today, the same way BigDog did his. Thanks BigDog! Drilling the air box and zip tying the temp sensor to the frame so it doesn't move was really easy. Best of all, I fired the bike up, ran up and down the street, and never a hint of stumble or cough. I'm soooo happy to have the bike running right. My dealer is 600 miles away, so getting the MOSS cure isn't very convenient. When I finally get up there, perhaps I'll disconnect the plug and have them fix the map, then reconnect. For now, no rush.
    Pepe likes this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good reports, thank you.