Lectron on a TE/SM 610 4 Stroke

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by firebolter, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The adjustment on the side is a air bleed. Makes it leaner as you turn it out. May or may not need need ot turn out at all. My YZ450 runs good with it closed. Rode that bike again today. WOW.
  2. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    That screw with the tube acts like an air mixture screw. Use it to fine tune/smooth your idle. The other screw moves the slide up or down for idle rpm adjustment.

Rather than risk disaster with a stuck throttle, I would wait for correct throttle cable with the 90 degree bend.
    Ruffus likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    just making sure ruffus..bad part about the internet is people not knowing other peoples skills or stuff like that. i think you are on the right path tho. sounds like the bike is runnng good at least!
    Ruffus likes this.
  4. Ross Shafer CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950sm, Honda XR100
    thanks for the updates!
    Ruffus likes this.
  5. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Started up this morning in 50 degree weather, no choke. Barely touched the button, amazing how quickly it fires up cold, it actually take a second or two longer to start up after it's warmed up. I'm amazed how smooth it is, bike even sounds quieter while cruising.
    On my way home accelerating from 30 mph to 55 mph, it seems like lazy acceleration. Throttle cable appears to working fine, but I can see that if I did a deep water crossing, the cable end boot isn't going to stop water from getting in because of the bend.. I'll keep commuting back & forth to work on it this week & lean out the rod another 1\4 turn on Saturday. I want to look at the plug before I get too far into making changes. Then I 'll need help on how to tune for mid & topend.
  6. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you for the concern, I'm being very careful & basically expecting a cable bind so I'm always ready to grab the clutch lever & hit the kill switch if needed. Also carrying the tools I need to tilt it a bit to clear the frame if I have to get me home, told a few pickup driving coworkers that I might just have to call them for help.
    I'm surprised how little throttle it needs to maintain it's speed around town. Can definitely see where increased MPG's would come from.
  7. exvitermini Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawi
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Ruffus,

I worked with Kevin Gilham (Kelly too) testing four stroke carbs for a 610. He sent 4 of them and kept making changes to needles and slides as reported back. Then he sent the fifth one June of this year.
    The JB jetting for the 450, 510 and 610 is very close, so I tried it on my 450 first and the latest Lectron was very close to perfect (nice job Kevin!:) ) as shipped and the bike never ran better. Kevin did a lot of work on these 4 stroke carbs and he is a very busy guy so it took awhile.
    I hated to, but I took the Lecton off the 450 and put it on the 07 610. On the 610 the idle didn't return quickly on the bench so I ended up turning the needle half a turn clockwise (rich) and after playing with the low speed (out = lean) air bleed (the one on the side) the idle returned and was very stable. The adjustable power jet (the one on top) was also very close and can't remember how I tweaked it (out = richer) but it wasn't much.

It sounds to me like you are still rich on the needle. Even at 90 degrees I use the choke when starting the engine after it has cooled overnight. The four stroke Lectron carbs are more sensitive to needle adjustments than two stroke carbs but I suspect you should turn leaner a 1/4 at a time and ride it. It may take a half turn. A quick non returning idle is a dead give away when you are lean.

I just came back from a 500+- mile dualsport ride with the 610 that included highway, gravel road, green and some blue quad trails. The bike ran great from 200' to 6200". My gas mileage was in the upper thirties MPG in the sloped rocky/silty stuff to as much as 55MPG
    on the road.
    I'm a happy camper:)
    Motosportz, Ruffus and dukepilot like this.
  9. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. Oklahoma Rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 te 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    What would one of these set a fella back? I need to go through my carb, maybe rebuild, would be a great time for that clear float look. Always like new carbs.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Email me at motosportz@gmail.com and I'll send you all the info. Thanks Kelly
  13. exvitermini Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    kawi
    I've got one for sale that has ~20miles on it. Apparently my thread has to be approved is why the link is dead.

I'll do the whole package for 450shipped.
  14. Oklahoma Rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 te 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Email sent. Thanks
  15. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today was my first chance to do a fairly accurate mileage test. First I leaned out the rod another 1\4 turn, idle didn't change, topped up the tank & went on a nice fairly consistent highway ride, just under 25 miles each way at an average speed of 58 mph. Total mileage was 49.7, total liters used was 3.856. Right about 49 mpg's. I;m pretty impressed with that, especially considering the best I got before was 45 mpg's with the Kenda 761, I get 49 mpg's with the big Teraflex. Gotta be more rolling resistance, but being a taller tire that may have compensated. Bonus is it runs smoother, vibes through the handle bars & pegs are much lower than before.
    Now the bad news.
    After I adjusted the rod, I was expecting a higher idle, there was no change. At about the 13 mile mark, coming to a stop sign, it didn't want to idle, had to do the Harley blip to keep it going, when I got to my destination, I increased the idle to 1800, 25 miles later, I get home & again, it didn't want to idle, increased the idle speed again up to 1800. Anyone have an idea why that's happening?
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    sounds like you might be to lean now
    Ruffus likes this.
  17. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Kelly, I'll change it back & do another highway run. Loving the smoothness & increased fuel economy.
  18. mr.Skin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE125, V990, TXT300
    I plan to rebuild my te450 08 to 530 or 510 kit. I want to order the proper lektron and I got cost for this already. 425 British pounds instead of 285 for the base carb!
    Seller says that there must be added some tips..
    "..its the mods needed to suit your application, to get the ultimate performance from the new combination. older bikes and 2 strokes dont need the idle circuit. we also machine the spigot and bell mouth to fit your husky inlet and airbox. things like older rm250's etc running no airbox dont need these mods.so its £285. you get what you pay for. theres no more profit in the carb for your application. just gotta be right! "

Is it profitable if I agree? where can I get a customized lektron cheaper if I can independently set up a input and a output flanges? Sorry for bad language!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Its not that easy. There's a whole other circuit added, aluminum ends added and a bunch of machining to make them correct. Sounds like you are dealing with Lectron direct and they are telling you the truth. It is a lot more work and they make the same profit as the standard carb. No gouging is going on here. The carb gets a lot of massaging it would be super hard to duplicate for any price.

Note added circuit and flanges on both ends...

[IMG]
    mr.Skin likes this.
  20. mr.Skin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE125, V990, TXT300
    looks like you're both right and I will be forced to agree. apparently there is still much work to implant this carb. Seems the unit ECU must be replaced.. axis of carb and intake tract also not quite match ..
    Will work correctly ignition if you make the electrical resistance instead of the injection unit?