Lectron on a TE/SM 610 4 Stroke

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by firebolter, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Kelly, can you check your PM? I have a question.
    Thanks.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Will do, just got back in.

K
  3. Armikso Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr300-10 te610-08
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM sx65
    Lectron is not as good as
    describe. Actually not at all. And that is only my opinion.
  4. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Well i'm going to need more info than that mate. What's up?
    454x and Motosportz like this.
  5. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    He apparently had a WR300 with a Lectron that he could not dial in so all Lectrons are no good according to him.
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Sometimes the old butt dyno can be misleading. IMO
    A slight bog followed by an explosive hit can register higher butt dyno torque/HP numbers than a more linear and powerfull power curve.
    454x likes this.
  7. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Updates? Kinda thinking my new-to-me 610 needs a clear float bowl too :D
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    What year 610 do you have?
    My 07 TE610 for sure runs better than it ever did with the RB Designs modded FCR 41 that the Lectron replaced. Nothing against Ron Black, he works magic but the Lectron is much better.
    Motosportz and CrankN like this.
  9. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR

It is an '06.

I've only run the bike up the street and back, so not sure how well or not well it runs now (waiting on parts to get it road worthy). I do know I really like the lectron on my 165, so hoping it is as good in this application as that one.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We are having really good results with these on 4 strokes. Let me know if you want one.
  11. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Allrighty. My new Lectron has been installed. Mounted up easy enough. took me about 2 hours total with help from a friend.
    Runs fine, as delivered it idles at between 1350 & 1550RPM.. Only stalls out if you're careless with the clutch, thats impressive at that RPM. Today I upped the idle to 1650RPM on average. This weekend I'll put my dualsport gearing & Kenda 761 rear tire back on. With the stock carb & this setup I got 45 MPG's@55MPH. I'll test it over the weekend if the weather cooperates. It runs great, popping when in gear & letting off the throttle is almost completely eliminated, does seem to run smoother & more linear. Hopefully I'll give it a thorough workout this weekend.
    Right off the bat I'd recommend a cable with a 90* elbow at the carb for a 510, had to mount the carb at a bit of angle for the cable to clear the frame. I was concerned about the open TPS circuit, Kelly says not a problem & I trust his experience.
    It starts beautifully with no choke, so I'm guessing its running rich. I'll pull the plug for a look-see after I do the mpg run, if it looks too rich, I'll adjust & try another mpg run. Gonna be hard to not open it up for this test. I noticed I'm giving it more than usual. It is nice & linear.
    If this carb cuts down on, or eliminates my off idle flameouts offroad, it's money well spent. The mpg increase others have noted would be pure bonus.

Here's the pic's of it mounted.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    My buddy who's a certified Hardly Ableson :D mechanic was impressed with the Lectrons simplicity & the clear float bowl. Have to say I am too. The stock carb looks absolutely monstrous compared to the Lectron.

Thanks Kelly for your great service & info.

P.S. The initial start with the Lectron took 4 separate cranking sessions, first 2 nothing, 3'd I did it 2 smoke style with some throttle, almost started with a good backfire. Number 3 using 2 smoke style again was a charm, took it up & down the street & it ran great, next morning, just the start button & it started right up, no touching the throttle at all, seemed to idle lower after warmup. I was worried at first, but then it never did die out just idling. So far, colour me impressed.
  12. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, a little update, after a nightmarish attempt at putting the Kenda 761 rear tire back on (went through 3 tubes worth of failure) I gave up & put the Terraflex back on with tube #4, so much easier. But I noticed an oddity that has me a bit concerned. While sitting level up on the bike lift, it wouldn't start, no matter what I tried. Killed the battery twice (it's the original battery so that's not saying much). Couldn't figure it out until I sat down for a while & went back out with a calm attitude. Because I had to mount the carb tilted sideways a bit, while level, the fuel in the float bowl wasn't high enough. Sure enough, as soon as I put the bike on its side stand, the fuel rose to where it needed to be & started right up. So I'm a bit concerned about riding it knowing the float bowl level is too low unless I'm making a left hand turn.
    Do I need to worry?

Kelly, any word on the cable with a 90 degree bend on the carb end?

That damn Kenda must have shrunk over winter, never had that much trouble mounting a tire.:banghead:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You should be able to bend the cable you have more than the 90 will allow. Have you tried that?
    Ruffus likes this.
  14. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

No I was worried about breaking it. I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. Just bend it cold, or would a heat gun be recommended?. Whats the consensus on riding with the float bowl fuel level at half of where it should be? I'm curious about that? I'm guessing I'd be risking fuel starvation\lean condition.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    bend it, it will be fine. Straighten carb. Run it. :cheers:
    Ruffus likes this.
  16. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you Kelly, my kind of answer.
    Cheers.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If it does not work out well we can slap a new cable on there but think you will be good to go.
  18. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, sorry for the delay on updates, but time to work on the bike isn't going as planned. Today I adjusted the rod a 1\4 turn leaner & mounted the carb vertically (no tilt). Bent the cable pretty good to fit. I don't get the nice snap back like I did before with the engine off, but there's no idle speed hanging with the engine running, cable might be binding, not sure, I'll have to ride it for a bit to find a definite answer.
    She started right up, still with no choke.
    First question: At what temperature should I need the choke? It's about 70 today with 70% humidity.
    The adjustment tool doesn't fit the rod, holes to small. Not a big issue, I can drill out the hole to proper size easy enough, but just a heads up. Is there a difference in metering rod diameter?

Second question: My carb looks much different from the 2 smokes version. 2 adjustment screws on the left, top one seems to be idle, if I got instructions with the carb, I lost them. Bottom one has a tube?
    Another adjustment screw on top of the throttle bore. What does each one do? Which ones the PJ? Is the adjustment routine the same as it is on a 2 stroke?

I watched the U-tube videos for 4 stroke & 2 stroke adjustments & in one where he's working on a 4 cylinder Kawi, he mentions that the slide is up too high compared to the other 3. I can't tell how he adjusted it, did he turn the choke knob? Still trying to figure out how I could see if mines too high or just right.

Is there a video out there on adjusting a Lectron on a thumper? Haven't been able to find it if there is.
    Just trying to learn as much as I can about this carb so if an issue arises, I can fix it in the field.

Not sure if we need a separate Lectron tuning thread for 4 strokes or not, but would be nice to find any issues & answers in one thread. Maybe this thread, don't know.

Thanks for the offer on the cable Kelly. if I do need one, I'll let you know, from what I see it'll have to be a pretty tight 90 degree bend. With any luck I'll be riding from Tuesday on as long as the weather holds up. Guessing I'll have to lean out the rod another 1\4 turn. While I'm at it I'm wondering if it would help getting a clearance measurement from top of the carb to bottom of the frame just in case custom cables are needed. How did it work out on the 610?

P.S. How many of us 4 stroke Lectron users are out there?
  19. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    if you drill it out you will lose the flat spot you need to be able to turn the rod..dumb question but are you sure the flat spots are lined up on the tool and rod?..im guessing if your throttle isnt as smooth since you bent the cable, your bike may not be safe. keep an eye on that.. bad news if it starts to bind worse..lectrons website has tuning instructions plus there are some on here as well. your power jet is the adjustment at the rear of the carb, on top. it has the line that pulls extra fuel from the bowl.
  20. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yup I'm sure, the rod wouldn't go in the hole at all. I can easily drill out the hole without touching the flat spot. Working in a machine shop has it's advantages. :cheers:
    I thought the PJ was on top of the throttle bore, but wanted to be sure. Any idea what the lower left hand side screw with the tube is for?
    Definitely going to be careful about the throttle. I looked at Lectrons web site for tuning info & of course every thread here that I could find, but it's either for 2 strokes, or multi cylinder 4's, haven't found anything relating to thumpers. Hoping more 4 stroke users chime in with their experiences. For now it starts great, & idles nicely. I'll be taking it for a short commute tomorrow & the rest of the week.
    justintendo likes this.