JD Tuner settings

Discussion in '610/630' started by Travis Shrey, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    This is what I have right now, and it seems solid:

Green (low range), 4
    Yellow (mid range), 5/6
    Red (top end), 6
    Green/Blue (idle), 3/4
    Yellow/Blue (green-yellow transition), 2
    Red/Blue (accelerator), 8

I have not noticed any stumbling or hesitation. But, to be honest, I might not even know what I'm looking for.

I have the Leo Ti full system, iBeat set to 100/100/100, power up kit, and EHS pre-filter.
  2. toomas69 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Thanks
    I will give those settings a try tomorrow, I believe the trick is to have the ibeat settings back to 100
    the stumble is cruising with little throttle, for me it was worst with the higher setting on the jd , doesnt seem as bad since the EHS and decat
    going to be in the 70's this weekend in Toronto, crazy. I will have lots of time to play with the tuner.
  3. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I'm still getting the slight stumble at cruise with a tad of throttle added, not sure if the iBeat would fix this or what. Even with the settings totally opposite what everyone else is doing I'm still getting 38-40MPG. :( I was hoping to get near the 50MPG I used to get with the 15t sprocket and non-JD. :confused: It's a small price to pay I know, the bikes a kick in the pants but if it would get 45MPG it would increase my range for big Death Valley loops. :p
  4. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I filled up yesterday and got a whopping 34.5 MPG. :eek:

Low fuel light came on at 91 miles.

That's pretty atypical riding, with a lot of idle time in the garage while I was futzing around. The next tank full will be better, I think.
  5. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
    My settings are identical to jtemple's except I have red/blue at 2 instead of 8. I noticed no diffence changing the red/blue around. This works very well for me-Leo Vince and power up kit installed. Air box stock. Also about 30-35 mpg.
  6. toomas69 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    What a great weekend of riding, discovered the cause of my stumble. It seems to be directly linked to the red/blue adjustment, anything above 3 and it starts. My bike was hardly ridable with jtemple's settings but with Xpat's I had no stumble but the bike seemed to be on the rich side. I ended up with:
    green-2
    yellow-5
    red-2
    g/b-2/3
    y/b-1/2
    r/b-3
    I think I will end up with green-3 and g/b-3, it does seem to not start as easy as before.

I need to ride and test some more but I am closer to prefect then ever before, for those that have felt the stumble or hesitation at around 3600-4200rpm play with the r/b setting. I did come close to giving up on the jd tuner but with the open air box and decat stock exhaust I could not go back. Now I must admit with power-up and decat alone (no air box mod or jdtuner) the bike preformed great, once I find what feels the best I am going to install a stock air box cover and disconnect the jdtuner to see if there is a noticable difference (seat of the pants dyno) I think there will be, I hope, and yes I have Ibeat also.
    Leepet and jtemple like this.
  7. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

8. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Interesting. Thanks for the update. I might tweak mine based on your findings.
  9. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I have the powerup and decat with the stock airbox in place (no labyrinth). The Tuner definitely made a large difference in power, didn't notice much change in rideability after it was tuned. Using the recommended numbers it stumbled like crazy. Without it you will definitely have a lot less midrange.
  10. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I just messed with mine again.

Here's what I had:
    Green (low range), 4
    Yellow (mid range), 5/6
    Red (top end), 6
    Green/Blue (idle), 3/4
    Yellow/Blue (green-yellow transition), 2
    Red/Blue (accelerator), 8

Here's what I have now, based on feedback from toomas69:
    Green (low range), 3
    Yellow (mid range), 5
    Red (top end), 2
    Green/Blue (idle), 3
    Yellow/Blue (green-yellow transition), 1/2
    Red/Blue (accelerator), 3

On the quick ride to work, I can't really tell any difference. Maybe I'm just not "in tune" with this stuff very much. The bike seems to run fine with either settings.

What I'm hoping is that my fuel economy goes up a little with the new settings. My last tank, I got 34 MPG. I was pretty shocked when my fuel light came on at 91 miles!
  11. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

If you don't feel a difference from the lower 3 and you want better mileage you should raise your yellow/blue setting. With it as low as you have it now you have lowered the rpm that the midrange enrichment kicks in, possibly to the point that you will hit it as you cruise.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Good point. I might bump that back up to 3.
  13. toomas69 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Stay tuned, I am still testing a bunch of combinations. One thing that is for sure is that the red/blue has a huge effect on how the bike runs, the other settings do not have no where near the same effect. I see lots of posts about the great power increases after installing the tuner, I am not convinced yet but I do have the bike running good currently with the setting I posted earlier. I am hoping to get my A/F gauge installed for some fine tunning and then compare the performance between running with and without the tuner ( i will need to adjust with Ibeat, to prevent running lean)
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Here's what I'm at now:

Green (low range), 3
    Yellow (mid range), 5
    Red (top end), 2
    Green/Blue (idle), 3
    Yellow/Blue (green-yellow transition), 3
    Red/Blue (accelerator), 3

Bike is running well, economy is improved. I'm not sure by how much yet.
  15. toomas69 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Jtemple, I end up at the same settings as you. I will do more testing later but for now I just want to ride. Have you noticed any difference when changing the red setting?
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    The ride feels the same to me. :excuseme:

I just filled my tank this morning and MPG is back up to 38-40.

JD says for the 630, 3's across the board is an un-altered ECU. So, all I've really done is bump the mid range up a bit and the top end down a bit. The rest is as if I had nothing tweaked; just my power-up kit.

I have some very faint occasional popping on deceleration. But, it's faint and has always been there with any settings I have tried. It is faint enough that with the db killer insert or the stock exhaust, I would bet that you couldn't even hear it.

The bike has plenty of power, runs smoothly and doesn't seem to stutter anywhere.

I'd like to play around a little bit more with 1 setting at a time to see if I can't eliminate the popping. But, I'm not sure which setting to start with. This is all a learning experience for me. I have never mucked with the fueling on a bike before.
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Coming up a bit on green should richen you up at idle and can reduce the popping, but the little "burble" you get under heavy engine braking is normal.
  18. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    So since your JD settings are now so close back to stock do you feel it was worth it? Did you have issues prior to the JD? Do you feel any increased power now at your current settings?

My bike has P/U kit, FMF Powercore and EHS pre filter. Runs flawless over its entire rpm range and already more power than I can use offroad. I haven't even seen the need to fiddle with my iBeat FB settings yet, all still at 100%. If the JD only gives me a slight boost in hp then not sure if I want to add it.

_
  19. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I think it's worth it. The bike is now easy to tune whenever the mood suits. I also have iBeat on hand, and was previously running at 106/106/106 CO settings. That seeemed fine, but on paper, the JD settings I have now should give me better fuel economy.

As far as perceived power output, I was never really disappointed in what the bike delivered, once the power-up kit was installed. If I did it all over again and really wanted to get the most for my money, I probably would have gone with the power-up kit and down a tooth on the front sprocket and called it a day.

The main reason I bought the exhaust was to save weight. I wasn't real concerned about any power improvements.
  20. alpha26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F800GS, Ducati Multistrada
    With Leo Vince full Ti exhaust installed, my dealer took my TE630 for a test ride, and decided to increase fuel setting to 105/107/103. I later installed JD tuner with following JD recommended setting:

Green - 3
    Yellow - 3/4
    Red - 2/3
    Green/Blue - 3
    Yellow/Blue - 4
    Red/Blue - 4

I found instant improvement in power throughout the range, and it accelerates hard, and yet cruises effortlessly. The engine runs much quieter as well. It has ample power for off road riding, but I would like to get more power on the open road. It seems to be workng hard riding a steady 120 km/hr pace. The fastest speed so far is 145 km/hr ( I didn't try too hard) . I wonder if anyone get it upto 160 km/hr yet? I am planning to crank up the high speed fuel ratio to get more top end power.