JD Tuner settings

Discussion in '610/630' started by Travis Shrey, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    OK, appreciate the feedback, thanks.
  2. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Actually, with the engine running, stand next to the air filter box, helmet off, and twist the throttle grip.
    The induction noise is now quite loud.
  3. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi. I'm trying to install the JD Setting on my TE, but I'm struggling to find where to connect it to the Injection thingy. I am no mechanic at all (and even saying that is being very nice to myself) and the pictures that came with the JD are small and seem to be from another bike (I believe the same JD is used for 510/450). I think I found the grey connector for the injector body (it is standing horizontal on top of the fuel intake right under the frame - am I right?), but I'm really not sure where the other connector (for the throttle body) goes. I have looked on the Husky USB manual, but there is nothing about it.

Could you please direct me where this other connector goes? Your help is much appreciated.
  4. kevinperry Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 honda XL250R
    Hi,

The couplers connect at the back of the throttle body .You will have to take your tank off to get at it .One coupler plugs into the factory connector that you will un hook from the throttle body and the other connector will plug straight into the throttle body.

KP
  5. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you Kevin. But... erm... what - or rather where - is the throttle body? I have the tank off, but I'm really not sure what is what (and where). My guess was that it is the thing hanging from the back of the cylinder where the petrol and air intake is - and that is where I found the grey connector where I need to connect the grey connector from JD. However I'm struggling to find the other connector. Can you please tell me if I'm right about what is throttle body and if so which side of the throttle body (as if when sitting on the bike) the connector is?

Thank you very much.
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You plug the other JD connector into the connector that WAS plugged into the fuel injector.
    The JD plugs in between the factory wiring harness and the injector.
  7. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks a million, I think I get it - I basically unplug the grey connector from injector and plug JD setting in between the original plug and the disconnected grey connector to close the loop. Am I right?

Thanks again.
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes! Looks like it. Had almost the same problems myself. Found that if you `phone JD, they´re more than helpful ... and they sent me further illustrations and instructions that put me on the right track. Now you´ve got it, take double care to snap on the fuel connection securely. A few weeks ago, I had to remove my tank etc. again and failed to snap the connector back securely. Of course it came off in a long tunnel on the motorway. Very embarrassing!
  9. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Started riding the SM630 again.

First thing I did was take MrCleans advice and lean out the Green mode and the Green/Blue mode.
    It was running at 4.5, turned it back to 3 and surprising it ran much nicer, faster, smoother and with less Engine vibrations.
    2.5 on the Green mode did not feel right.

Thanks MrClean:thumbsup:

I do not have iBeat so I dunno what my iBeat settings are, however I do know that my dealer tweaked them somewhat.

Following from a post I read on the 4Stroke forum here, and now remembering past experience on tuning car engines, excess engine noise and or engine vibrations are a sure sign that setup, and particulary fueling, is not right.
    The post on the 4Stroke forum also mentioned that Oil levels just above exactly half way between the max and min marks can also lead to engine vibrations.
  10. MrClean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great! That makes at least four SM630 owners that I'm aware of with a similar experience.
  11. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Hello all,

Just to clarify, The stock settings for the bike are like 2-3 on the individual modes with the JD unit correct?? If not can some one list the stock settings in the different modes?!

Also, what kinda MPG are most people getting with the bike all powered up and with a slip-on and 14t sprocket? I'm getting about 40mpg now but I did get about 50mpg when non-JD and stock sprocket. To be clear, It's not a complaint just more of an observation. Just wondering if there's a setting that might fetch me closer to the 50mpg that I should try with the JD tuner.
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´ve now got settings on the JD I´m happy with. Only wish I weren´t too lazy to experiment. Maybe next summer, I´ll try something else. Or even try and have my settings dynoed.
  13. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
    As listed in another related thread, here is what I found works for me. After much trial and error. Initial settings resulted in hesitation after letting up on throttle (e.g. Shifting gears). This would only improve with lowering green, yellow, and red to 2's or so. I thought this defeated the whole purpose. Once I lowered the yellow-blue to 2 and red-blue to 2 all the problems went away. I then increased green, yellow, and red to 5 or 6 and the throttle response has been bestial. Much worse fuel consumption from 50mpg to maybe 30mpg, but now i am much heavier on the throttle. Any comments appreciated.
  14. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

My reserve lamp usually pops up around 130km :D

I'll try your settings, their quite different from mine.. :thinking:
  15. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    For how much distance and time did you ride with the settings on 2's before increasing them to 5's ?

Did you jump from 2 straight to 5 , or did you increment up bit by bit to 5's ?
  16. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
    In increments to see any difference. No difference in hesitation with higher levels of green, yellow, and blue but didn't go higher still so as to preserve some fuel consumption. Tremendous mid level thrust as is. Remember, I am experimenting here.
    Leepet likes this.
  17. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oi. I have got my TE630 back from dyno yesterday. They have played with JD Tuner to smooth-en the power curve (you can see dyno chart - before and after - at the end of this post). My bike has the following performance mods:
    • Power up kit
    • Arrows with new ECU
    • Drilled airbox with EHS filter
    • JD Tuner.
    • 43 rear sprocket (well that is not for performance, but that was the only steel sprocket I found to replace the aluminium POS).
    The bike was pulling very strongly before the dyno, however there was big dip in power/torque at about 3000 rpm and quite a bit of hesitation when I went quickly off and on throttle. This made control of the bike a bit tricky.

I have to say that have done very good job and the bikes pulls very strongly and smoothly throughout the whole rev range. The throttle hesitation and dip in the torque are completely gone. I have checked today the settings they put on the JD Tuner and I was quite surprised:
    • Green - 2
    • Yellow - 6
    • Red - 1
    • green/blue - 2.5
    • Yellow/blue - 1.5
    • red/blue - 1.5
    I'm quite surprised that in majority of settings they went actually down compared to standard JD settings set-up. And I'm very surprised that with red at absolute minimum, the bike still pulls very well at high revs.

Based on my seat of pants dyno, I was quite disappointed to see the actual numbers (see chart below). Maximum power at the rear wheel 47 HP seems really low. However I have to qualify that a bit:
    • The bike was dyno-ed in Pretoria (SA) which is at about 1500m above the see. The guys recon that at the see level it should have about 10-12% more HP. So let's say 52hp at the rear wheel.
    • The bike has knobbly tyres. My understanding is that this affects the numbers and may bring 1-2 more HP. So the most optimistic scenario is 54hp at the rear wheel at the see level.
    I did hope for more, considering I have basically all the TE630 performance upgrades known to mankind - but at the end of the day it is not the numbers I ride, and the bike feels really strong and smooth now.

Dyno chart:

P1030099.jpg
    Russ likes this.
  18. 1lunger Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wish somebody would list this info on a 610! I would love to know if the JD controller would give the 610 a boost. I know it's only $200, but if it only makes for better MPG or slight tourqe curve increase its not worth it to me. Anybody with this info out there???
  19. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you´ve got 55 hp on the back wheel, it´ll be well above that on the crank (where all the manufacturers measure and publish their output). Although I´m not convinced that dynos all come to the same results and I´ve witnessed the same bike with completely different hp on three separate dyno tests. There´s no legal requirement to have them standardised and calibrated.
  20. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I updated my JD to these setting except the RED = 2. I have to say......It SEEMS a lot better. I'm going to play around with some of the other suggestions people posted but for now I'll keep these and measure MPG. The power to me seems a lot smoother so if I can get some MPG back then that will be perfect for my type of riding. Thank for posting this. :thumbsup: