JD Tuner settings

Discussion in '610/630' started by Travis Shrey, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

What has everyone found works the best on a JD tuner? List your intake exhaust mods as well.

I have the airbox maze removed, the PU installed and changed my stock pipes to flow-throughs. I'm going to start with the JD recommended settings and go from there.
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

630 with opened airbox, p/u kit & JD .

Having a spot of trouble tuning the JD. Have increased the red and orange and am satisfied with the results (pulling power a LOT better). But the lower range is causing problems. When the leftvto right flashing green lights change to green and blue, I can´t seem to be able to change the green (idle) settings.

When I reduce power, I get splutter and popping from the zorst. And at slow speed, the bike tends to surge.
    What do I have to do to the MODE button in order to set the BLUE/GREEN ??And what am I doing wrong? (This is my first carbless bike)
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

`Phoned JD and got all the help I needed. Problem solved! (t´was me and my ability to read the instructions). Surging and popping gone ... now I can do the fine tuning and am very satisfied with the present results. It really does have noticeably more power throughout the full range.
  4. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I found that I had surging if I left the green mode in their settings. Backing it down to stock (3)made that better. But today I raised the yellow mode from 4 to 4.5 and could feel a BIG difference. I found a thread in the EFI section of CH (I've never looked at anything other than the 610/630 section) where people have gone up to 7 in the yellow and red. I don't have a totally open exhaust, I still have the factory spark arrestors so they must limit flow a little. Anyone running a LV full Ti kit should be running at least five or higher in the yellow and red.
  5. shoolsema Husqvarna
    AA Class

i have the P/U mod, FMF powercore exhaust, lots of holes in my upper air box. put the JD tuner on and it surged and popped really bad at 4500rpm. tried other people settings and didn't have much luck. i have it pretty dialed now after about 20 changes. i don't really notice the surge/hesitation and the power blows my mind! settings 3, 7, 6/7, 3/4, 5, 6.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Care to share the results of your conversation with JD????
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think it was not understanding the instructions as he said.
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True ... I got flumoxed over the green setting. The red and yellow (both 6) were ok and I registered the required relevant power increase, but couldn´t understand how green operated. He told me to press MODE four times through back to green and I found out that i´d inadvertently pushed it to 7.Got it back to 3, increased the green/blue to 3/4 and am still experimenting at the top (more seems to be better). Surging has gone.

I´ve got the new EFI that came with the twin Arrows, the p/u plug and open air box. Have to force the forks down in all gears when I accelerate really hard (I wouldn´t let a novice ride this bike in its present form).

I liked the calm manner that JD talked me through the programming sequence. T´was well worth the expense of the `phone call to USA.

This is now the bike that I´d wanted at the outset. Couldn´t have achieved this result without the help of the people on Cafe Husky. My sincere thanks to one and all!

Patrick
  9. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Mmm..... I was pretty happy with my bike until I started reading these posts about the JD Tuner. Makes me feel like I am missing out on an even better ride. Patrick, is it that much better? Like your bike, mine has the Twin Arrows & ECU, but mine is a TE with 14/42 gearing.

It's really important to me that I don't lose the instant throttle response off idle, to get over trail obstacles. Currently it'l lift the front off idle in first & a roll on in second and has no hesitation at all. Is it still that crisp with the JD?

Will your bike lift the front in third now without using the clutch, as mine won't?

I'm not very mechanically minded and don't want to f*** my bike up when it is already running sweetly - is it easy to install?

Thanks for your help.
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´d say that I was proud to have accomplished fitting the JD. But I´m totally ignorant, old and decrepit. All my previous bikes have had carbs and this is my first taste of electronics. It took me about an hour to install the JD. Doing it again would only take half that time. So, if I can do it, there can´t be many who can´t. Setting up the JD led to panic stations but now I can´t see where the problem was and it only takes seconds to do experimental changes. The first extreme gain was from the p/u plug, the second (lesser) power increase was from the twin Arrows and the ECU. JD provided the the next relevant power increase. The higher red setting sent my Vmx up by 15 km/h (178kmh and more if I´d had the motorway to myself). Accelerating fully lifts the front wheel in all gears. If you experience any probs with the JD, give them a ring and he´ll give you clear and comprehensive advice. I´d advise any 630 owner to 1. Do the p/u 2.Install an after market exhaust AND the EFI and 3. Definitely get the JD tuner and (if you want to go the full Monty) open the air box.

PS

To answer your question about being crisp when the throttle is opened quickly. At first, when I hadn´t understood how to set the JD, I got it wrong and it certainly didn´t (it died when I cracked open the throttle). Set it up correctly last night after talking to them on the `phone and took the bike out. The JD is the only way you can set the fuelling so that you can crack the throttle open under any conditions. It´s exactly what I used to do with carbs (only working on carbs is a lot dirtier and takes longer).
    Russ likes this.
  11. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

If only Husky would sell me the Arrows ECU without the cans for a reasonable price :(
  12. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    No kidding...:(
  13. shoolsema Husqvarna
    AA Class

its kinda sucks that the Jd tuner is another $200 you have to spend on your bike...but it WILL blow your mind. I was happy without it until i saw my buddy wheely past me in 3rd gear on his 630! The Jd tuner is all about the throttle snap. i would say these bikes lack throttle snap without the tuner - now that i have one. I payed $209 right from JD, and i had it the next day.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    JD is a great guy, I have spent a lot of time working with him on these for the huskys and he is EZ to talk to and work with. I thought my TE511 ran great as is and was really working on the tuners for customers whom were having issues with there 449/511 after adding open exhaust. What I found out is my 511 was severely limited even though it ran GREAT. Now I have a LOT more power and the bike runs far cooler (as it is no longer lean). You don't have to spend the $209 but it is the best bang for the buck performance wise.
  15. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    OK Gents, really appreciate the feedback - it sounds like a quality product & excellent bang for the buck. I'm sure the household's Finance Director will agree...

Patrick, would you mind posting your settings, as I wouldn't mind using them as a guide along with shoolsema's 3, 7, 6/7, 3/4, 5, 6, which I can also compare with the JD recommended?
  16. Rsquared Husqvarna
    AA Class

What benefit do you gain from the Arrow ECU, that can't be replicated with the JD tuner?
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    The JD kit only adjusts fueling. The different ECU's make gains with timing as well.
  18. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    The dealer saw I had the JD unit on my bike today and asked me how I liked it. He said he had put the dual arrows on a TE recently and that it was a night and day difference.

After wrenching on my bike I told him to tell me what he thought of my setup.

He said he couldn't tell for sure which was better without riding them back to back, but said that it was easier to lift the wheel on the TE, but he thought it was probably due to the lighter front wheel on the TE. He said I should be happy with the power I have and that my bike felt like it had more torque than the TE with dual arrows.

So I guess my bike is no slouch :D
  19. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have only just started experimenting. With the open air box, I can´t see much advantage in not going to the top in yellow and red. But need to do some more fine tuning in the lower reaches.
  20. Ketek Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll just copy my post from the other thread with JD settings:

Mods:
    ECU - EU SMS
    Airbox opened
    PU Kit
    no lambda sensor
    stock exhaust (for now :D )

JD Settings:
    G - 4
    Y - 5/6 (made better NM after setting this higher.. had 4/5 before)
    R - 5/6 (lost 1 PS after setting it to 6/7 so this seems to be maximum with stock pipes)
    GB - 3/4 (no changes)
    YB - 2
    RB - 8

I made this setup on a dyno, so that's what worked best for my 630 ;)