JD Tuner settings

Discussion in '610/630' started by Travis Shrey, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Thanks again for the info. Have placed my order just now so hopefully should receive it over the next week or so.

If anyone else has suggested settings I would be interested in hearing them. My bike is a TE630, power up done, Twin Arrow exhaust & ECU, standard airbox.
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Standard settings for your setup are printed on the instruction sheet that´s included in the box. I need different settings as I´ve opened up the airbox.
  3. rocko Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SMS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SV650
    bpowa likes this.
  4. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just had my first ride with the JD tuner installed on my TE630. The ride included street, backroad, dirt road and trails. The throttle response is much improved over my stock PU'd bike. I have made no mods to airbox or exhaust, and frankly it runs so well now, I'm not sure that it is worth the effort. I can't see where I need any better performance on the street and there's no way that I can meaningfully use all of the power now instantly available off road. Easy install, works as advertised, brilliant in it's simplicity to tune.
    I suppose that I should add that I rode the bike with the default settings on the JD tuner.
  5. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ive just had my bike serviced so got them to install the tuner as well, using the standard JD settings. Its certainly livened up the response, but there is a slight hesitation when in steady traffic at a constant throttle, when gently rolling off the throttle and then back on. Its the rolling back on where it is most pronounced, being a slight hesitation before accelerating. Any ideas how to tune this out? No airbox mod, Arrow exhausts & ECU.

Thanks.
  6. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

I just finished installing it right now.. I tried Ketek's settings and my bike ran like crap.. I was hopeful because he was the onlyone who ever dynoed it with good numbers..

I set it back to JD presettings and took it for a spin and all I have to say is woow.. Definately a difference.. Its smoother throughout the power band. Almost enough to bump a second gear power wheelie.. I only drove around the block.. Ill take it for a real ride tomorrow..

My Mods is.
    Everything stock except PU.
    I dont want to drill holes yet.. DOnt wanna mess things up until they are proven on the dyno..

Even if its just the presettings alone.. Its worth the money.

I did not know realise the bike just drops off in power stock at 6k rpm.. I revved to 7.5 and power was smooth..
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The JD was the thing that made my opened up airbox possible. The first big step forward was the p/u. Didn´t notice much performance wise with the twin Arrows. But the next big improvement came with the opened up airbox and finding the related JD settings. Don´t think there´s much more to got out of the 630.
  8. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I spent this morning in tight single track, creek crossing, rocky uphills, mostly 1st & 2nd gear terrain & at low revs & the throttle response with the new JD kit at recommended settings was flawless. However, on the road it still has a slight hesitation after rolling off the throttle & immediately rolling it back on. Seems to occur at any revs above mid 3,500s. I tried a few different settings but on each one the problem is still there. So far I have tried:

3/4, 4, 3, 3/4, 4 & 4/5 (JD recommended)
    4, 5, 6, 3/4, 4 & 4/5 (a little higher fuel settings to take account of Arrow pipes)
    3, 7, 6/7, 3/4, 5, 6 (schoolsema's after trial & error)
    Now set at but not yet tested:
    4, 5, 5, 3/4, 4, 4/5

Most of the posters on this thread have opened their air box, so their settings probably aren't appropriate for mine. I don't want to do this as I'm worried about dust and don't really need any more performance. It's really hammering now - I would just like to clean up this hesitation. Any ideas?
  9. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

i had the same issue with coasting off the throttle. mines has no mods.. this was from jd rec settings.. i tried to bump higher but what took the surge Away was i lowered fuel in the mid where it normally stumbles it worked great.. sucks. that i got a nail right after.. end of ride
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I went much too high on the lower end settings at first and got bad popping rolling off-throttle, so took it back down to just a bit over recommended. Had to re-adjust idle. Think the general tendency might be to try settings that are too high. I´ve not dynoed yet as the only two dyno shops here that I´ve tried with my CCM didn´t convince me as to their accuracy and weren´t able to set the carbs performance wise. `Tis great to be able to set fuel without having to change the jets etc. Could even do it now on the run!
  11. shoolsema Husqvarna
    AA Class

ya, i think you will find that your 1st number being set at 4 will give you worse hesitation at 3500rpm? try it out. i had to go back down to 3. i still have the smallest hesitation. i hear the real fix is an irraduim spark plug?
  12. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I have idle and low rpm running at 3, then mid and high at 4.5-5. My bike definitely doesn't need any more fuel on the low end. With the recommended (3.5) I would get surging at low throttle, backing it down fixed it.
  13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Also, try setting your green/blue down to around 2, this lets you have a smooth idle and cruising, but better response by bringing the midrange setting in sooner.
  14. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
  15. Bunny007 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC449
    I have the same problem. Have you found the optimum settings yet?
  16. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No. For the moment I have settled with 3, 4/5, 5, 3, 4, 4/5, but it's still not as smooth as before fitting the kit. It's not bad & I can live with it, but not perfect. Still hunting & hesitating a bit at even throttle, even a small backfire once on this morning's ride. I haven't yet tried the iridium spark plug as suggested.

What I have noticed is how much extra fuel it is using. Before I was getting around 165km before the low fuel warning light would come on (about the 9.5 litre mark), but this morning it came on at 144kms. I didn't consider a lesser fuel range when I fitted the kit, and this could be a consideration for some. Having said that, I did some tight single track & off road work this morning, and really hammered it for much of the way home (secondary bitumen road, hard on-off acceleration in the upper speed range).

When I was running it in I was getting almost 200kms before reserve, but the bike was in standard trim and revs limited. No fun in that though...

I don't regret fitting the JD kit at all - the minor roughness is outweighed by the snappier performance.
  17. bpowa Husqvarna
    B Class

did you open your airbox and decat your pipes.. thts whats causing the rough idle.. and throttle..
  18. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My bike has the Arrow pipes & ECU. I haven't opened the air box yet & wasn't intending to as I don't need more power & feel the stock setup providers better dust protection. Having said that, Patrick (Organ Donor) seems to have enjoyed a far better performance gain than I have, and as far as I can tell our bikes have similar mods except he opened his air box. Does doing this make that much difference?
  19. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It did on mine. The snorkel restricts air intake and the open airbox lets in more air ... and that extra air requires more fuel. The JD enabled me to adjust the fuel to air ratio to get the results I expected. I put the EBS frame and filter cover over the hole in the airbox so there´s no chance of dust or water contamination.
  20. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Had a SM630 + PU Kit + JD Tuner and Stock pipes that was running nicely.
    Have just fitted an EHS to the Air Box.
    The extra air now going in just allows all mods to work sooooo much better together.
    The EHS resulted in a very very noticeable increase in performance right from pull off to everywhere else.
    Acceleration has gone to a whole nother level.
    I especially like the snap out-of-the-gate performance.