1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc I Rode The Prototype Wr200 And It Is Amazing...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Dec 22, 2011.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Been some interest among the guys to try and do something with the RM125. After a lot of looking at pics, etc. it doesn't look like an inexpensive candidate for big boring to anything more than 144.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Come on out with the ride and pipe report.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Shoot a 144 with it's improved bottom/mid would be a huge help for the 05 RM as it has very little bottom and just and ok mid.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I know the later year rm 125's did away with the exhaust bridge. Makes it tough to bore them very far and still have the ring survive very long. I think they made the change about 03 or so. They also came with a steel liner and that creates limitations too. Just a lot easier to buy a Husky tiddler and have more fun.
    Gotlabs likes this.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not only that my Husky feels like it made from solid stock the Rm not so much. I can also stop a lot quicker on the Husky even though I'm going faster.
  6. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Check the Pipe Thread my friend!!!
  7. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Quick race report from this past Sunday. Unless you just recently began watching this thread you will probably remember that the last race about a month ago did not go so well for either the bike or myself. The biggest bike issue was that I seized the top end on the third lap. That plus a badly twisted knee netted a horrible finish and a solemn ride home. Walt worked with me quite a bit to figure out the problems and he decided that swapping cylinders would be best. For the time being he sent me a thicker base gasket to hopefully keep the head o-rings intact.

This past Sundays race was in South Jersey again. I grew up riding rocks and woods so I am not a great sand rider. I didnt really get a chance to get accustomed with the WB165 yet. That coupled with the top end issues left me wondering if I should even attempt to race the 165. I originally planned on racing the new TXC but as usual I did not have time to strip the bike down and prep it. Sooooooo.......the 165 it was. I figured what the heck......I get two throw aways anyway.......I just cant have anymore failed races if this one goes south! No pressure!

I woke up Sunday with a different attitude and was eager to get going. A little rain in the morning where I live had me hoping for a little less dust down south. Not so! It was horribly dusty in most areas. I wanted to just pin it in some sections where I couldnt see, but I have that little thing called a job that kept me from doing so. I had been out two weeks with the previous knee injury and wanted to do my best not to injure myself again.

Just before the flag dropped for my row I accidentally kicked the kick starter back in. I reached down to swing it back out and by the time I looked up the flag had dropped. So I had a horrible start. Normally it would bother me but with all the dust I was hoping to be out front. For the first lap I struggled a bit trying to make the 165 work in a way it really wasnt meant to. Being used to my YZ250 I was taking inside lines, squaring off corners, and trying to power out. Keep in mind that this is deep loose sand Im talking about. Dirt would have different but this stuff just sucks power from your bike. Not that the WB165 cant do it the way I was trying but I had to keep it a gear lower and shift twice as much. The tire was spinning a lot out of the corners. Soon began to keep to the outside of the big sand berms. This is where the bike really started to shine. I was really trying to carry my speed and slip the clutch. The 165 would pull out of the sandy berms like nobodys business! Once I got the hang of it I actually saved energy. Im not used to riding smaller bikes so it took me a while to figure this out. Once into the woods and pinning it between turns look out. Slingshotting between the trees and from turn to turn was so much fun! I never really opened the YZ up in the woods out of fear it would kill me. This bike feels so light, turns so well, and stops so fast, that it ripping through the woods is soooo much easier. Anyone I was catching up to had no trouble hearing me behind them! Anyone who races south Jersey will tell you that these courses get whooped out really bad. The 165 easily powered through these keeping the front wheels skipping across the tops. The last lap when I was exhausted is where the real test for the bike was. I didnt have the energy to really open the bike up in the woods anymore. Well the WB165 was able to carry my tired 225 pound carcass through the second half of the last lap. I lugged the bike everywhere possible and it held up great to the abuse. I found myself slipping the clutch more in the sand mainly due to being to lazy to shift. It didnt matter the bike pulled it fine. At times it was difficult to find the right gear but I thinking that this is because the FMF Gnarly that I have right now hits too hard down low and I was trying to keep that from happening once I was tired. I cant wait to try Walts modified FMF Fatty! Smoothing out this hit and getting a little top end back will put this bikes power right in the sweet spot.

At the end of it all I was very happy how the 165 pulled through the sand. I thought for sure that I would be at a disadvantage but it didnt take long to realize that the light weight coupled with great power really worked well once I figured out how to use it. I ended up with a 2nd place finish and was pleased with that. The bike held up great and didnt let me down even when I feel that I abused it. The best part is that most people think its still a 125! ;) The next race is in West Virginia which is a lot of up and downs through the woods. I had a blast there last year and its the type of terrain I am used to. I cant wait to try the WB165 there! I will report back with how it goes!
  8. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey congrats on the fine finish. I was there as well but raced the morning race as I'm B super senior and I think you guys had a dustier course for sure but ours was more then dusty enough and 4 laps was more then enough of sucking in south jersey's finest dust. I was on my '12 WR125 which is still in stock form motor wise and that deep sand in the desert section definitely had me saying dayummm but in the woods the WR was a pleasure and much appreciated especially on lap 4! After this one though I'm seriously contemplating throwing the 144 kit on :thinking:
    These little WRs in any configuration sure do bring a smile to your face especially at the later stages of a race like this one!
    tnttimber likes this.
  9. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Thanks! I hear you on the sand! It definitely kicked my butt! I surely wasnt ready for this race after being out of the gym and riding for a few weeks following my injury. You wont be disappointed in the 144 kit. My bike came with it already installed and it was really a step up everywhere from any 125 I have ever ridden. I would give it a try but be careful......if you like it you will just want the WB165 kit! I kept my 144 kit and pipe so if I sell the bike I can take the 165 kit off and hang it next to my trophies!:thumbsup:
  10. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Finally had the time to get mine together.....fired up third kick so I guess i'm on the right track!

[IMG]
    Gotlabs likes this.
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

1 week to go and this old man on his 165 Will do last man standing at Glen Helen Calif Come on Husky fans why is it I am the only guy out werst racing
    typeone likes this.
  12. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Wanted to post a WB165 race report from the 3rd of this month. This race was held in Neelyton PA by SPER. I did all of the races last year in the C-vet class. This was the hardest last year and after moving up to B-vet this year it surely didn't disappoint on the difficulty scale! The loop was 5 miles long, one of the shortest of the season. It consisted of nothing but rock, rock, and more rock. Oh and throw in lot of mud. Both the thick sticky and the hard greasy kind. And don't forget about the roots with the bark ripped off. Those are always a real treat! The 165 pretty much laughed at all of it. This bike is much more capable than I am. I thought I might be at a disadvantage in some sections but once again the bike surprised me. Some time ago another member hear had mentioned that the 165 felt like it had two power bands. This is the easiest way to describe it. Trying to make it up some of the endless rock invested climbs with bikes slipping and sliding everywhere was difficult for me. Line selection was crucial and I had to commit. At first I tried wringing the bike out. It took only one time for the rear to kick out on a greasy root to realize this was the wrong way to go about it. Not to mention the fact that it wasted energy. I began was keeping the bike low in the power. By low I mean not much above idle. There was not very many times that the bike wouldn't lug right up anything. A little clutch work sometimes but because of the Rekluse EXP it wasn't very often. The bike was able to haul my wasted carcas up the hills with little effort from me. If I had to change lines in a pinch on a climb the bike would allow me to do it and keep climbing. Make a mistake and get cross rutted on a climb? No problem. The bike just kept pulling. I am amazed at the low end power. Then when things would open up for the half mile of grass track then it was like a different bike. Nice mid with a nice top that signs off a tad early but not too early. It really is an awesome power combo. I didn't really realize the lugging capability around the house with the new FMF I got from Walt. It really shined when the course got tough (basically right from the start) and I was wasted with not much left. That's when I really appreciated the power. I had ordered a trials tire for this race but didn't have it in time. Since then I installed it and I really am impressed. This is the first time I ever rode with a trials tire. I wasn't prepared for the abundant traction when putting around the back yard. A quick blip of the throttle with a little slip of the clutch yielded the bike shooting of from under me and into a pine tree. Can't wait to try it at RORR later this month!
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the ride/race reports. Good to hear the WB165 and EXP combo works so well together. Now if my suspension ever gets back I'll be able to see for myself.
  14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    awesome report. cant wait to finally ride mine this weekend :thumbsup: you guys were right, just kicking it over for the first time you can tell it's gonna be a little monster.

are those beefed up kick starters in the works? gonna need one.
  15. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Geez John! Where did you send your suspension.....overseas?! Lol! I could have sworn you sent it out over a month ago! Don't worry......it's well worth the wait. And no prob on the race reports. If some of the guys on here are willing to go though the effort to make this all work it's the least I can do. And yes....a longer kicker would be nice. I work with a guy who spent years in a machine shop so maybe I can ask him what it would take to cnc one up.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I sent it to Fast Bike Industries in NC and I think it has been a month. Had I know it was going to take this long I would have sent it else where. I've nere sent my suspension out and ure hope it's worth the wait. LOL I'm ready to bolt my WB165 EXP in my 2010 TC250 :thinking:!
  17. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I thought maybe P3 was doing it
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ouch.
  19. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    The exp wouldn't fit the tc would it? I want a exp for my txc but the only option Rekluse lists is the exp core for $900! Talk about ouch! Not many options for the x-lights when it comes to auto clutches.
  20. hillbilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11te250 14cr150
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 ktm500
    motocrossmr: i see you have a 11txc250 and a wb165. i have a 11te250 with 12txc ecu & 12port with the rekluse core exp and really enjoying it :) but my dealer has a 12 wr125 with 144 kit fitted that i drule over every time i stop in, it is like a magnet every time i walk through the door ! was wondering which one you like the best for play and trail riding and which one for woods racing ? after about a hour on mine my hands start to go numb. does the wr have less vibration in the bars ? i'm thinking less long term maintance with the two stroke ? thanks for any feedback !:cheers: