Gouging the Ice!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by FabOneUp, Dec 5, 2013.

1. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    So I have to ask "What is wrong with the quad guys"?:excuseme: We ice race the same way we flat track and always have. That said everyone gets on the lake and turns right down to the start and finish line and four left turns later, that's the track. Everyone follow this.
    Some quad rider enters the track and I point him down to start finish. Nope he is much smarter than me and goes left, then everyone follows him ! All ten of them ! We have never race backwards, ever. But today they go the other way.
    Do you think they would stop, yellow flags, red flag ! Nope they just kept going. They wonder why we call them Quad-Tards.:censored:

Sorry for the rant.
    Motosportz likes this.
  2. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I work the hot pits for my club every year at our Vintage National Dirt Track Race and trust me I have to hold myself back all day. I've been racing since 1974 and I know it can be a bit stressfull but these people today are out of control and their parents are worse. Reminds me of little league baseball in the 50's.
  3. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Built a Cold Cutter front M59 for Maloney to race the Cold Cutter this weekend and the following race up in Lake George NY. Constantine may use my front as well and has been all winter. Wish the beasts from the east good luck. I have a great rear I built but it has Fredettes screws in it so it'll stay on my YZ. Alot of slush snow here in the east now, damn. How did you guys do at the Steel Shoe?
  4. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lets see what this weekend brings, think I will go to a race just to race. Cold as it has been all the extra snow forced water up on the pond I hope it holds up.
    Sometimes I wonder what I am thinking with this sport. Good ice is hit and miss. Then a few laps at WOT and I remember why I like it so much.
  5. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

More than a few of my buddies gave up there ice bikes for the same reason but every year they show up with a helmet, a six pack of Coors, and beg to ride my fine scooters. Waiting to hear how Jake did on the TT out in Michigan today and building ice tires for Lake George. Don't know where we are ice riding tomorrow yet, 15" of snow on all of our tracks and I need to test the JD kit I put in the mighty YZ.
  6. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    long ride but we are running, wasn't Jake out with Marry last weekend ?
  7. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

He won up in Sturbridge and Maloney ran the indoor for third. Skidmore is helping them out in Michigan this weekend.
  8. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thought so, we played Saturday great kid (they are all kids to me )
  9. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Riding with some heros tomorrow on a 100mph TT track. Trouble is my YZ only goes about 60. LOL. Good practice for Lake George altho a few of these guys will be in the senior class [my class as well as super senior] there and they are ex Honda factory riders and ex Expert Pro dirt trackers, I'm a woods rider. Alot of fast locals here on the ice. One of the kids is a Moto GP rider and it's a pleasure to see his magic. I do have them all covered in the woods thankfully, so every dog has his day. Old age and treachery works every time in your own element, out of it not so much. So tomorrow I pay my dues and have some fun. All fun. Haven't heard anything from Michigan yet. BTW, Jake is a really good kid and keeps his shit together.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  10. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    0210140953a.jpg Second in the old man class. Protested the result asking for every ones AARP card but was denied LOL. :oldman:

We had a good turnout with all Quads going the right way all event long, laugh all you want that's a full time job.
    ray_ray and FabOneUp like this.
  11. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I raced this weekend!:thumbsup: Collar bone felt great. :applause: I got to practice five laps and the bike did not want to turn. Made a fork adjustment and went out for my first heat race. Got a real bad start starting in first gear and had to swing way wide to avoid a crash. So got third from last. LCQ went a lot better. The top three get to move to the final. This time I started in second gear and got a great start that put me in third and I stayed there. First and second place riders were right in front of me and I was working hard for the pass and decided third is all I need so don't mess it up! A team mate (JR) shoveled me a path at the starting line (lots of slush) and I know now that it made a lot of difference. The final was at the very end of the day and the track was a mess even though they plowed it before we got on. They didn't plow the staging or starting line so it was still a mess and I didn't have anyone to shovel me a line. I was in the second row. We all slid all over the place at the start but no one went down. I made a pass or two right away. I made a great pass on a guy with a KTM #33 and he wanted his position back pretty bad. He was right on my tail for half the race and he almost passed me right at the finish. I don't know how I finished. They posted results and I was helping load the trailer and never did get to see them. I am going to guess that there were 4 or 5 behind me and 5 or 6 in front. The track was horrifying. Slush, water, ruts and bumps. I am very happy with my first ice race! :cool:

I learned that power is everything in these races. I want a monster bike for next year. I gave the little 310 all it had in the straight towards the finish, but the 450 KTM almost got me. I was faster in the corners but I could hear him come right up on me at the end of the straights. It made it exciting for the fans, but not for me. I hope to have some pics here pretty soon.
  12. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jake ended up 2ND in the Pro challenge at the Cold Cutter Race out west. Jay didn't make the show but I haven't talked to him yet. He'll race my YZ in the TT this weekend in Lake George and should do well. I had a pro motocross rider rip on it yesterday and it was the fastest bike on the ice against Pro dirt trackers on big CRFs and it was a huge TT track with a 1/4 straight. The YZ is on rails and the 14-48 gearing was perfect by chance and the new JD kit helped it alot, still too rich tho. I somehow built the best rear Kenda ice tire I've ever ridden on, only took me 35 years. LOL. I'll probably just race the Amateur TT up in Lake George, last year I got taken out, and knocked out literally, on the big oval in a crowd pleasing high side when taken out by a big CRF.
    ray_ray and FabOneUp like this.
  13. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's not about power until the track gets too big. Suspension is the number one answer every time. Every bike makes h/p , keeping it usable is the key so learn how to pick teeth and keep a stack of sprockets handy. Those who gear for the track win those who shift are slow.

Right now the super moto set ups are working well ,my DTX set up is outstanding now that I ride it like a xr100. MX and woods setups don't work well on ice as they tend to stand up mid corner. Yes slush sucks ,just ride it like a cushion track. Spent a whole day on soft ice last week about mid day I got it. Burn some laps if you can.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  14. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    All awesome advise, Thanks! I can see how suspension is everything. Mine was perfect for the first race and the LCQ, but I should have softened it up for the main. If I had gotten through the rough section at turn 4 better, I would have pulled away from that guy nicely and caught the group in front of me. Everyone, including the old times who have raced there forever, said that the track was the worst they had ever seen. It was just too hot out. Unfortunately, our season is over. I wanted to at least get out there for one race to see what it was all about so I could focus on what to do next year.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  15. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Depending on your bike and the depth of your pockets, All the guys I run with have a second set of forks and a shock just for this. I recommend Durelle for the suspension work.
    I just run my DTX bike as its never going back to stock again.
    FabOneUp and Steve Kanya like this.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I like the idea of a permanent Ice bike. Makes things simple. It's awesome you mention Durelle for suspension. Just so happens we are going to bring him a couple bikes next week to get ready for our enduro series. He has done great work for me in the past.
  17. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Two weekend overall #1 plates for my riders this weekend in Lake George in Expert TT, [2 yrs. undefeated], and 85 CC and they each put on a show for the huge crowd for the Winter Festival.
    ray_ray likes this.
  18. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mama has Durelle on speed dial, short people stick together LOL.

Way to go Steve !
    I skipped out for some sled time with the Mrs, get back with the bikes next week-or not.
  19. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

None of my old timer buddies came up to Lake George to race after all winter running their mouth. We have a big plus 50 group and plus 60 and they are very fast. Now they want a peace of me up in Sturbridge but the weather will be the key for this sunday as usual. My YZ is very popular now and may be sold to a fast up and comer. Maloney rides it in the TT like he's trying to rip the throttle cable off. I'll build a 450 if it sells, probably an older YZ as the CRFs are hand grenades on the ice.
  20. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Weather is not looking good out this way, soft edges and water pushing up. We may be done if this holds.