Gouging the Ice!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by FabOneUp, Dec 5, 2013.

1. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Watching him whip that bike in the first turn during the heat is just to much. Anyone who can get off the line and just send it in is unreal. Takes me a few laps every time. But with short track we don't have a few laps to settle in do we.
  2. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

He and Jake are magic on ice bikes and Maloney is right there as well. They have many days on the ice this year already. I think Jake will do fine at the Cold Cutter, may need to build him a new front to bring. Sold out now.
  3. motohio Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TC449,10 WR300,09 TC450, 83 CR250
    It looks like the first time on the ice for me this year will be Sunday and I'm stoked about it. Mounting up tires this week. Buckeye lake, probably Lieb's island boat ramp. If anyone is close come on out.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  4. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like everyone has ice this weekend so lets get at it. Little something Steve hit on. "Aflac" I have it and if needed it works as I tested it before, don't race without the duck !
    Steve Kanya likes this.
  5. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    0127140708.jpg Wow Monday already. looks like I am first to check in because I just won the old man class:banana:
    FabOneUp and Steve Kanya like this.
  6. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I gotta come get you now. LOL. We had to cancel, three trucks showed up. No support from dozens of my buddies any more. I'd say we're done. At least I got a chance to test a new l/r Kenda I built and it works awesome. Some work, some don't.
  7. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Went out to go over the bike and found the base gasket leaking coolant,water in oil. So with any luck parts in by Thursday back on track by Sunday.
    Only during race season do these things happen. Oh well the promoter is also my wrench and he wants me back on track.
  8. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I need a piston bad, I road a fresh YZ and it blew my mind. Ya think 12 years is too long on a piston, LOL.
  9. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I may have to bring out the Huskie for the weekend, it's faster anyway but stock height.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  10. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    One of the guys I raced with all summer came out this weekend. Looks like we live just a few towns over, I think he ran an am class. Don't remember how he did. Only husky I saw sunday.
    OMG 12 years ! We all know Yamaha builds great stuff but dam. Us old guys want a vintage class ! We may have to stage a nap-in.
  11. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

This YZ was a Six Days Qualifier and only ran about 20 minutes before the ignition blew. It was wired for lights wrong and self destructed. The bike has very few hours on it actually. I rebuilt the trannie, shift shaft was bent, and put a new ignition in it and ridden it on the ice mostly. 02s have an oddball trans ratios. Jake and Jay both won again this past weekend and spreading the Traction Garage karma from the mid west to NY. We're testing again wed for the Cold Cutter and hope to make a big track to test the wide rear rims.
  12. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
  13. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks great and good support from the racers and families unlike our clubs failed attempt at ice races this year. I lost alot of seat time supporting my club and was on the ice only three times this year and it is the best ice we have ever had. Sunday we have cancelled our race thank god, I will ride till I pass out on a local lake. Looking forward to Lake George's ice races. Look me up, I'll be the one in Duffy's bar getting my ass kicked, I now have body guards. LOL. Come by the Fun Mover and have a beer, probably park on the ice again this year, #53 YZ 250 and or Huskie. The Huskie was a crowd favorite the year I won it. TT and old man's class, and maybe 150F class if I have room.
  14. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    We all work with Okie just because we all want to race. Turn out was great for the first race, now its all about Mother Nature. I don't know about lake George yet. If we have ice I stay close to home as I am laid off right now.
    Want to race Mamas xr100, lapped the field last time out. Bikes not faster than the others it just sticks and I have no need to lift. Got called out at the last race so I may have to pick up cans for another entry LOL.
    xr ice racing.jpg

Don't race on thin ice !!
  15. motohio Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TC449,10 WR300,09 TC450, 83 CR250
    It was a fun day out Sunday. Other than we only had one quad with a plow so it took some time getting the track made. With the cold temps hopefully we will have a few more weekends! DSC06228-L.jpg
    DSC06242-L.jpg
    FabOneUp and DTX915 like this.
  16. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    I plow out this way and a 330 long by 110 rad (220 wide), 1/4 mile will take about 5-6 hours with a 4ft blade with 2 or 3 inches of snow. I feel his pain.
    I heard the N.Y. guys are going on a road trip east this weekend, thought them guys had two series out that way ? Well its time for a base gasket on the thumper, rather surprised how fast the gaskets showed up two day to my door.
  17. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Got my gaskets but no piston today for the 2 smoker. Play ride sunday, I'm due for some fun. Thinking the Huskie will be ridin.
  18. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    What Husky do you have Steve?
  19. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

09 WR250, works great on the ice with a Rekluse, Scotts dampner, and and stock woods suspension. After a two day race it eats up the ruts and jumps that actually form in the backstretch.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  20. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

YZ pulls like a 300 now with a fresh piston and the new Kenda I just built is a keeper. Here is Harry and I testing new tires for Lake George. He didn't like the rear so we're going back to last years design with a Shinko 520. Minis like a KX85 are hard to hook up with the hit but the Shinko worked testing with HR.jpg great last year. This little KX is surprisingly fast with a 60 pound kid on it, was fun showing him the racing line. Or did he show me?