Best pipe for the 630!

Discussion in '610/630' started by husky666, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    Just wondering....does lean mean 'efficient' ie fuel economy wise or just burns different? No idea what my bike's set up with ecu settings however the fuel economy I think is pretty poor with consistently about 6 litres per hundred Ks.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Lean means less fuel consumption, but it also means higher engine temps, faster top end wear, and less power/response.

You've got the TE, and probably knobbies, do you still have stock gearing?

My SMS with factory gearing, and extra fueling gets around 42mpg on the highway.
    A bit lower in the mountains, obviously. That's not much better than what you are seeing.

Might not seem like a lot, but high compression thumpers are not really built for economy, they're made to rip!

The PowerUp and associated Ibeat tweaks that most people get does reduce the fuel economy over the factory choked and plugged bike, but they just aren't that fun in that state.
  3. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    Thanks RD, yes still on stock gearing and 50/50 tyres, doing highway speeds is OK with stock gearing but I'll drop the front by one cog in a couple more thousand k's. Not a real problem using more fuel - just been riding with some guys on bmw 700 s and they're using about 4 litres to my 6 litres per hundred, seemed like a pretty big difference but then they're a pretty different engine too.
  4. T_I_G_E_R Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE570 Honda CRF450X
    Dont want to steal anyones thunder.. but the arrows with ecu is the best option.. easy fast simple kickazz and FAST.. just sayin
    organ donor likes this.
  5. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    +100 on that.

The 630's always had the looks but neither the bark nor the attitude to back them up, but the Twin Arrows Kit corrects that an then some.:D
  6. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    It was mentioned previously that there may be an option to open up one of the pipes to a flow through and block off exhaust to the other side, gut that can and use it as permanent storage without changing the stock look. Has anyone got experience with this or is it a bit gumby ? I'm thinking there may not be much performance difference between one gutted pipe and two choked up ones, but happy to be corrected. I'd like to lose some weight and gain some storage if its possible.
    After ordering new pegs, safari tank, concepts seat etc etc, sexy exhausts and tuners just aren't gonna happen:naughty:
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Someone on here did it, forgot who. It's not as clean as it could be with a round can where you could thread the can and cap for easy opening, but you could put a couple hasp latches on the endcap for that.

If you remove the crossover, you'll have to support the front of the can somehow.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    The mid-pipe is another consideration. Right now you have, loosely speaking, two smaller branches. If going to a single set up then you'd ideally want/need a larger diameter mid pipe. You can do a search and find all kinds of thoughts/info on going to a single...folks who have gone aftermarket and those who have gutted their stock cans.
  9. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones

Did the flow thru mod on both my pipes.Much better punch off low.Run nice and cool.A mate reckons that if you go to single can it would be better to have a bit of length in the midpipe and a bit bigger.He said maybe the right side exhaust to get the length in the midpipe.I will let him chuck it into the exhaust calculator and see what comes up.Exhaust and front fairing are the next project.
    riz likes this.
  10. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 630, 2012 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa S150, Honda XL200 Scrambler
    Hi fellas,

I'm planning to custom fabricate a can for my 630. Thinking of having a single left-sided can.

I was wondering if anyone has the measurements of the ideal pipe dimensions for the 630. what's the ideal inner core diameter and length? what's the ideal outer can diameter? and the length of the header (starting from where the stock header join up from the exhaust)

My motor is stock, and planning on having a JD jetting, and most likely filter mods to follow.

thanks!
  11. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 630, 2012 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa S150, Honda XL200 Scrambler

could you let us know if it's better for a single sided left or right? (to get that ideal diameter and length your friend was talking about)
  12. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Has anyone bothered with the Arrow collectors (headers) for the TE630 or SMS630?
    Any appreciable gain or power or torque?
    Any significant shift in the power band position or shape?

Not quite sure if the graph here is showing the impact of just the collectors, or if it's the whole system...
    http://www.arrow.it/eng/prodotti/motociclo.asp?IDM=43&IDTab=988

I can't see there being much of a weight saving over the standard ones given that they're all stainless steel, so really just comes down to if there is some sort of power or torque consequence...
  13. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Bumping this thread as I just finished reading several on pipes for the 630 but Wings, while mentioned quite a bit, does not appear to sell kits, slipons, or anything else for anything other than KTM. Wondering where exactly you guys sourced your Wings pipes from. Also, will anything that works on a TE 630 also work on an SMS 630? I like the look of those Barretts too. On other hand I have a line on a brand new FMF Factory 4.1 that's already been set aside with my name on it and is simply awaiting payment...

Looked at the Arrows and read this thread here too:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/twin-arrow-exhaust-by-husqvarna.17540/page-8

But I'm not feeling spending $1700+ on them even with an ECU.

One other question - if I do go with the FMF Factory 4.1 for now, what else will I need to do with it? I have a bone stock 2011 SMS 630 right now that hasn't even had the power up kit done to it yet and just rolled over 1800 miles.
  14. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    NorCalAthlete For the money the FMF is the best pipe option for the 630's. You lose 14lbs. over the stock system and still have some money in your wallet for the $40 or so p/u parts. Get the pipe and do get the p/u parts. Make SURE that the part called a labyrinth (part #19 on page 4 of 630 parts catalog) is not in your air box. I recommend at a minimum to remove the snorkel on the air box. I have also enlarged the opening on the air box as much as I could behind the side panel. A pipe, the p/u parts, and some more intake air, you and your bike will love the outcome! With iBeat it wouldn't hurt to get your bike plugged in and set your TPS. My 630 is happy with all 3 CO's set to 110, while the other 630 is happy with all 3 CO's set at 100. I noticed on the WINGS site that they no longer list pipes for the Husqvarna's. That's a bummer as they are top quality pipes.
  15. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Got an email back from Barrett and their TE630 pipes do fit an SMS 630....still a considerable price difference of $800 vs $550 or so but damn are those Barretts sexy. I haven't seen a weight/power comparison between FMF and Barrett though.
  16. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    I stand corrected on the Barretts - looks like they're just over $610 shipped to the US. Hmmmmmmmm....
  17. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

FYI........In 2011 I took my 630 SMS to FMF and they used it to build that pipe. After testing it, I took it back and told them to keep it. It did not sound good and the fitment was not what I was used to. Euro pipes like Akra, Wings, and Leo Vince are better made, bottom line. Unfortunately they are not all available for the 630's but the Leo was at the time. I have a Wings muffler on my 690 SMC now and it's awesome, my 500 XCW has the Akra, so I speak from experience.
    FMF is fine and more affordable but if $ is not the issue then buy the Italian made Leo for your Husky.
  18. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    Unfortunately the Leo Vince is apparently no longer available. For those who don't know they just had a yard sale this weekend - their parent company went bankrupt and when I called and spoke with a rep he said they sold out of the Husky 630 stuff years ago and haven't had anything in stock in ages.
  19. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

Bummer, that's why I went orange, tired of trying to find parts. Now look what happened, I could have stayed!
  20. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    FWIW, I have the FMF slip on and my friend has the full Leo on his. I don't see $.02 difference in the fit or sound of the two. His 630 did make 1 more hp than mine though.