Best pipe for the 630!

Discussion in '610/630' started by husky666, Dec 28, 2010.

1. tool46n2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

just my $.02 but for less than the price of the Arrows you can get the FMF Powercore 4, a Power Commander V and auto tune. You don't need a different/better ECU because the PCV and Autotune will do that for you. Plus you have the flexibility of making any modifications you want and the Autotune will always adjust accordingly. Overall cheaper, lighter and more flexibility.

And BTW, the Arrow ECU is only tuned for those pipes, it will not not improve the performance of the FMF...maybe a little but still not designed to make the most of the FMF can.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I'm not sure you quite understand what the maze is. The labyrinth is just a plate that goes under the air filter and sits there. Has nothing to do with the cover or the airbox. It's just sitting there behind the filter. The cover and airbox are identical across all bikes.

[IMG]
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Can´t find that labyrinth/maze thing on mine. Nor the black pot on the right in your pic.
  4. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

It does, but as state above it is behind the foam filter. In order of removal - the lid with the 'spikes' and 'feet', foam filter, maze.
  5. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    The Arrows are beauties, don't get me wrong, but I must say I am skeptic that any twin pipes run with the stock mid pipe will perform better then a fat single system. The stock mid pipe oulets in to the cans are a restriction, visible to the eye.

Besides the restriction, I don't care for the heat the stock mid pipe puts under the battery, how the support for the entire system is only 1 bolt per exhaust can and how it rubbed on both our 630 shock springs untill adjusted.
  6. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I was too slow... :)

If you don't have the maze behind the filter or the emissions pot the dealer may have removed it for you before you even picked it up. The emissions pot might be a US only thing, since it is needed to meet California standards they just put it on all the US models. My dealer removed all that and did the PU kit before I picked it up and without me even asking.
  7. Redback Husqvarna
    B Class

Never been any maze or other emiision pots on the two bikes sold locally here in Norway...
    Regarding the Arrows, the bike is a lot crispier after installing them. The throttle response is more direct, and the weight saving is also significant.. :)
    organ donor likes this.
  8. jester6i Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    I can confirm this. I did briefly try the Arrow ECU with the FMF pipe and it did not make any difference. In fact, the pipe seemed to get hotter than with the stock ECU.
  9. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That´s it! No maze and no smoke pot on our 630s (but the Nowegians got those special stickers that turn golden orange in the sun).
    Apart from the Arrows being correctly stamped as street legal, you do get the specific ECU with the set and it would seem to be logical that two pipes let out more exhaust gasses than one.
  10. Redback Husqvarna
    B Class

When installing the Arrows, I did not see any tapering og midpipe or other restrictions in the system, same dia all the way from engine to cans.. and I support organ donor claim, two cans let more air out than one.
    Stian which has the same bike removed his DB killers ( same set up otherwise ) and got better response from the engine. Evene those small devices steals some of the umph...
  11. peteSD Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Not to get into a big debate, but I am actually someone who is running the Arrow ECU & FMF pipe (Factory 4.1 SL) on my TE630...

I have to disagree that the Arrow ECU does not get the most out of the FMF pipe. After talking to FMF on the phone, the FMF pipe was designed around a bone stock bike and they would make no guarantees to how it would perform with any aftermarket ECU set-ups (big surprise). However they did tell me the most performance would be from the Factory 4.1 SL model because the internals are different then the other two models. Its kind of the old scenario.. you get what you pay for.

Unless you have actually run both pipes on your bike, you cant make an honest comparison. I ran the bike stock for 100 miles (but w/the typical easy un-corking mods), then I put on the Arrows & ECU for 600 + miles. The Arrows + ECU really wake up the bike. All my complaints about how it ran poorly disappeared. The bike just wants to run hard and fast!

Then, I put the FMF pipe on and kept the Arrow ECU. The bike still runs the same but more like a dirt bike should if that makes any sense? It reminded me of when I used to ride my Honda XR on the street when I was a kid. Its hard to explain... the bike certainly runs just as well as it did w/ the Arrow pipes, but its not like riding a Super-Moto anymore.... its feels like a proper dirt bike should. I think its better suited for the TE. It pulls harder down low compared to the Arrows which is typical of single exhaust systems. Dual exhausts equals lower back pressure compared to a single. A single will increase back pressure and produce more low speed grunt in most cases (However, playing with rear sprocket size can fine tune this for any rider on both accounts)

The Arrows are the ones that really shinned at higher speeds and on the open highway. Plus, the Arrows simply sounded bad-ass at a stoplight! If I was going to spend my time more on the street.. the Arrows are far superior for highway use from past experience.

In the end, it all comes down to what each rider is looking for. If you really want to squeeze every possible horsepower out of it.. go get wild at a shop with a dyno and have some fun (I just dont have that kind of time anymore). I love this site, but it is just a bunch of opinions and mine is no better than prior or future posts. Weight them out and pull the trigger... I have found some great advice and info on this site!

I will say that were you live can play a factor because of altitude & climate. I also believe the East coast has higher octane gas then we do and that was the problem I ran into many years ago with an east coast based company automotive ECU programming system.. we finally figured out the problem was that the mappings were for their higher octane premium (93 vs. 91 if memory serves). Plus, California has all sorts of other additives in its gas... that may have changed by now? In the end, this was why my particular car would produce valve knock at the shift points when the throttle was wide open.

I loved my Arrows but they were just to pretty for a more dedicated dirt bike. I dont think you can go wrong with anything aftermarket compared to stock. Lastly, this motorcycle had to be the most "congested & plugged-up" machine I have ever ridden off a showroom floor. However, the fun is always in fine-tunning and tinkering anyway....

p.s.- I have my Arrow Cans for sale if anyone wants them + Husky carbon heat shields! (AS-NEW, make me an offer.. need to sell and clean out my garage)
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

" this motorcycle had to be the most "congested & plugged-up" machine I have ever ridden off a showroom floor. However, the fun is always in fine-tunning and tinkering anyway...."

this is very true. I still can´t see how anyone could be satisfied with the 630 as it came straight out of the showroom. Did Husqvarna really intend all it´s customers to p/u the bike??
  13. elpedro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sportster 883
    I did the p/u about a month ago and still am disappointed :/ The p/u removed some of the stutter when riding at constant throttle and increased consumption very significantly, but thats about it. Never had stalling problems like some of you did. So if I didn't know the engine was very lean out of the box (and therefore running very hot) I would even be considering plugging the lambda back...
    So now I'm thinking of getting the Arrows but cant justify the 1100EUR price tag. If anyone of you is selling Arrows WITH ECU, make me an offer.
  14. Redback Husqvarna
    B Class

I don`t think only removing the PU will make big difference as it is part of the original fuel injection system, it`s only when it is removed in combination with new exhaust and ECU unit that it will make a big difference.
  15. Huskymicky818 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04CRF450x2,01&03YZ250,87CR500x2
    I live in Southern California and I got my SMS630 back in October of 2011 and my airbox cover DOES NOT HAVE THAT, nor does it even begin to look like it.... Does that mean I have a "non USA" model?
  16. Huskymicky818 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04CRF450x2,01&03YZ250,87CR500x2
    Where did you order your Twin Arrows? Because THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN SO. CAL.
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Suppose you can get them direct from Arrow on their web site.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
  19. South Aussie Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TE510
    I have a 630 that was a dog power wise out of the dealership. Have had lots of dealings with Ducatis in the past so I understand that bikes need to be played with out of the box. The 630 was also at low revs a pig to ride due to power surge. Get the power up kit, replace the exhausts with new freeflowing ones- mine are Barretts from NSW Australia & cost AU$800. Here is the real trick to get one of these bikes singing. They must be remapped for performance on map setting one, two & three. Each dealer/expert will have their own views on settings. My view is leave position 3 at 100% but increase position one & two between 100 & 110% depending on your riding conditions. If the dealer is any good he will know what you mean! Contact a local Husky dealer to do this for you.
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    With my opened up airbox and wide open mufflers, I went with 103, 120 and 112 on the three Ibeat ranges. Then I added the JD tuner and fine tuned from there. These bikes are horribly lean from the factory to meet emissions standards.