92 WR360 thoughts and comparison to a 07 WR250...

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Motosportz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

wow im interested in getting a wxc or wxe 360 96 prefered (match my 250) bike sounds like a great desert bike,

(ohh I was wrong on the hp of the kx500, heres the spec)

Engine Type 2-stroke, 1-cylinder, Piston reed valve,
    Liquid cooled, KIPS
    Displacement 499 cc
    Bore X Stroke 86 x 86 mm
    Compression Ratio 7.4:1 (High speed/KIPS valve open)
    8.3:1 (Low speed/KIPS valve closed)
    Maximum HP 64.5 at 7,000 rpm
    Maximum Torque 6.8 kg-m at 6,000 rpm
    Carburetor Keihin PWK39
    Lubrication System Premix gasoline & oil
    Ignition System Magneto CDI (flywheel)
    Ignition Advance Electronic
    Crankshaft Rotation Counterclockwise from ignition (LH) side
    Cylinder Material Aluminum alloy with Electrofusion bore
    Fuel Required Min 95 Research/90 Avg. Octane, Mixed 32:1 Gas:Oil
    Oil 2-stroke racing oil
    Coolant 50% distilled water /50% ethylene glycol base coolant
    —Capacity 1.3 liter
    —Level Level with radiator filler neck
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    A 360 should take off where a 250 \ 300 is topping out ... 4 the pure desert stuff, it could probably handle higher than stock gearing for more top end speed ... Sprockets might fit from fairly recent if not current bikes ...

There was a thread out here where a guy was running a 40 - 42T or so rear sprocket on his new husky 300 ... He was toasting 450s he said and setting land speed records in the desert ...
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    After about 40 hp it is all about fun. Your not going any faster.
  4. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

that was perfect....like I said before an older, 90's up dirt bike can keep up and the fun factor is the same as your buddy's 9000.00 2011 model in trail riding desert stuff, because the bikes have surpassed (most of us) our ability to take advantage of most of the improvements any way.

Your right I probably only use 20-30 hp on the 500, size doesnt really matter, after the first 4o the rest is waisted:lol:
    mike
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    After 35 it might be waste for most of us ...me for sure ... can't pin my 02 CR250 or my 08 TXC250 for very much unless it on the hard top or desert ...

For trails ... newer bikes just don't offer alot more other than $ and new glossy paint & graphics ... What does it take to bump along on a tight course? As long as the rear end of the bike just jumping up and down and not side to side ... UR're not going to fast for the bike and this is acceptable ...
  6. sprocket74 Husqvarna
    B Class

As per the top speeds of the Husky when we did the ISDE in Holland in 1993 we had to ride the freeway from our hotel to Assen to impound our bikes, Husky and Husaberg had the best rental rates so I rented a Berg (big mistake) and my buddys rode Huskys we all raced our bikes down the freeway the wxe250 actually had a higher top speed than the wxe360 by a fair bit. To be fair though the guy riding the 360 was a 6'6" farmer and we were just little punk teenagers. I watched from behind as I chickened out at about 70mph and slowed down. The one guy would lock up his rear brake at insane speeds and do these huge "s" brake skids. Ahh to be young again.

As per the wieght of a KX500 my buddys wieghs 262 full of fuel (std tank) and with hand guards, skid plate and a few other goodies the same bike Ty Davis rode in Holland btw.
  7. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah now adays bike weights are given by most manufacturers as the true weight with gas and oil, but not so long ago printed weights were based on no fluids and what ever they can get away with to make the bike sound light.

so the actual weight of my 500 would be higher than claimed weight, but the weight is what was stated in the spec's of the bike from kawy.

the 500 weight isnt really an issue, its how it feels, and the 500 is a big bike, and feels big, flick able is what comes to mind, the 500 isnt really flick able that easy, she feels substantial, certainly not like a 250.

But it is a classic, monster machine That has earned its place in motorcycle history. It dominated races in most of its life time
    when it was banned from MX races, guys like Ty davis, Destry Abbott
    took those bikes to the next level in open class H&H races, even for three years in a row Abbott took wold championship titles aboard the 500. This was against all comers, anything allowed.

I liked your story of the ISDE:D and having one of Ty Davis's bikes is really special. There were some classic knock down battles between Ty and Abbott that were historic.

Back to the 360 husky, looking at the part numbers of the 1996 wxc's the 250 and the 360 share almost every part, so that 360 should feel pretty flick able, and would to me (with out ever riding a 360) could be one of the best desert trail bikes you can get your hands on.

Of course I dont think any of these old bikes would be worth a dang if it wasnt maintained, and fixed through its 15 or so years of life. Theres some real junkers out there for sale, that would cost some coin to get back in shape.

The wr360 we are talking about in this thread looks like a real winner.:applause:
    Mike
  8. colemanapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been riding 360's since 2002. Had a 93 and then bought an '02, mostly for the decomp head and better ergos. I have an 07 TE450 and it sits at home for most of the time I'm trail riding the 360. If I only had 1 bike, it would be the 360. Just good everywhere. The decomp head makes it better though. No clutch needed for brake sliding into a corner where the motor dies and you just let off the brake and it'll fire back on. I've pinned mine and just about hit 90 mp per the KTM speedo of the guy in front of me. Thats stock gearing. It could easily pull longer gearing.
    I still have an 88 WRK 125 that I ride quite a bit too. Its almost polar opposite to the 360. I'm busy on that 125 getting in the right gear, twisting throttle. The 360 is great for being lazy, clutchless shifting, stick it in 4th and just ride that trail. Do not twist that right hand unless you are firmly on the bike and ready to go straight ahead. Love all this old bike talk and it just reinforced what I've been feeling the past couple years.
    Long live the king. And Kelly, you need to come visit Jason for a MO huskyfest. 88 125, 93 360, 02 360, 07 te 450, 10 TE250. Take your pic, they're all running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCMTB6lPH0
  9. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

That was a good video, You younger guys and girls, can now see what we old timers really liked about our two stroke steeds and why we hated to go to the 4st. Those very capable 2st machines we rode
    were the best. You younger people that grew up on 4st, should try and get you a 90+ 2st to play with. Amaze your friends when they ask you whats that junk your putting in your gas? and they wont be using your gas to fill their thirsty 4st's.

Not to mention you can rebuild the 2st In about an hour for less than a couple hundred bucks yourself. I love the 2st early (92-2000?) MX BIKE.
    for value, if you want a new bike, theres some really slick 2st's still being made. KTM, Husky, yamaha and a few more. Good for me when I want to buy a new to me bike later.

I never rode a fuel injected 4st, yet, but was able to flick the throttle on one at the dealer, seemed really responsive though.

But its still like, want to buy a 450 4st, then you can get about the same performance from a 250 2st. same goes for a 250 4st, and a 125 2st. and 2002 and under two strokes are green sticker calif.

anything newer and its red sticker, but so is the 4st mx bikes.

I like this talking about the older bikes too....:eek:
    Mike
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know he has been back out here 3 times and since he left and I have never been there. BTW i tossed him on the WXC250 last time he was here and he LOVED that bike. the more he rode it the more he started talking about how EZ it was to ride and how forgiving it is...

[IMG]
  11. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Maybe you can tell me....why does some of the wxc 250's early middle 90's, have upside down forks, and the one I have, 96, have conventional forks? My forks are tunable and work great, but just wondering.:confused:
    Mike
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Husky made a short switch to conventional forks around 95 for a few years. Conventionals can work GREAT in the woods as the unsprung weight is less and the forks are more forgiving (read flex) but the down side is less accuracy in steering to some point and overall weight is more (because the steel part is much longer). I love good conventional forks in the woods. I lust after the older 50mm RM forks...

[IMG]
  13. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks they feel fine when I ride, they are tunable and seem as good as the kx forks.
    I just bought some gater boots for them on ebay, should be here today, will be taking the forks off tonight to install. Then the bike will look really retro. Thanks again
    Mike
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Are those SUZ forks adjustable at the bottom in the tubes? They look almost like they can be slide up or down ... Check out the number plate \ fork guard!

360s have history ... won many a race I'd guess in many different hands and classes ... 2 me, 350 says street bike ... 360 says bad a$$ 2t dirt bike :)
  15. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    Here's one I am looking at now, a 93 in really good shape with fresh plastic and top end.

[IMG]
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Is that the original pipe? Look at how fat it is and just of coils back around on itself ... Looks scary as a snake ready to strike ...
  17. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's a FMF
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Buy it before the motosportz guy gets it :)
  19. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Is that a 360 or 250?, I cant tell. I was looking it over for ya, she's missing the counter shaft sprocket guard, not much of a problem these days, no one wears bell bottom pants.

hand guards are not there.

The suspension may have been done by pro circuit, because of the stickers, the clue is there are no other stickers on the bike just the pro circuit ones.

How much the guy asking for it?

Push up and down on the bike seat, do you hear a squeak every time it cycles the shock? Mine did, it was the right side swing arm bearing, seems the right side swing arm grease fitting is a real bear to get to, so I would guess it didnt get greased much. I have a right angle grease gun fitting that was able to grease the nipple, squeak went away.

I would put a new fmf turbine core muffler on it, the one thats on your bike is as old as the hills you will ride the bike on.

The pipe has no dents in it, thats amazing, because of the way it sticks out there, may mean it hasnt been ridden much:D

I would consider buying it, if the price is right :thumbsup:
    Mike
  20. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's a 360. The counter shaft cover/guard is one of the first things I TAKE OFF! It will not be replaced! Just packs up with mud and grass when you run the cover.

Yeah silencer is old, but if it is in good shape, just a re-pack.

My plan is to get this, change the oil, freshen up the suspension fluids and make it my back up, play bike. My 2010 310 is my race bike and my 07 525 ismy dual sport. Ever since I got rid of the little KTM200 for my 310, I miss not having a smoker! All these threads about 400's and 360's got me remembering how much I liked my 92 I had in Hawaii.

I can get this for a G note.