92 WR360 thoughts and comparison to a 07 WR250...

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Motosportz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got out on the new to me 92 WR360. Great bike, fun to ride. Rode yesterday with a buddy with a 07 WR250 with LTR suspension and Rekluse and damper. Well setup and running bike. We traded off some. The 360 obviously has WAY more power. I did not think so until we traded. Adam said the 360 has 3X more power but it is more like 50% more everywhere. the 360 vibrates more and makes the WR250 feel smooth which it really is not the smoothest 250 I have ridden. Brakes and suspension are better on the 250, duh. Both real good bikes and not that far apart performance wise. I will revavle the suspension and do a few ergonomic things and be keeping the 360 and selling my WXC250 and WR400. this bike covers both of those. Fun bike that works really well.

A vid of me chasing my buddy on a new KTM300...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djC21bMcmCE
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    ahh ha that was the new secret in the garage...the WR360
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    ahh it was on the addiction thread......nice carbon fibre tank and shrouds on that bike.....

you guys and those side hills man that spooks me. be careful out there!!
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice report. Its interesting to me how I am always looking for the next greatest bike ever when, as your experience would seem to indicate, the next greatest bike ever is maybe just a little bit better than something ancient.

In the end, it seems like you can have fun regardless of your bike.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Dabbling in these older bikes make me realize once they came up with the 2 stroke, disk brake, water cooled single shock formula not a ton has changed. Obviously the new bikes are better but marginally not leaps and bounds. When i ride these older bikes it does not seem like a limiting factor to much and the group pecking order remains the same if i am on the new scoots or older ones. Keep in mind this is for trail riding, sometime hard core trail riding but still trail riding. If racing you want the new stuff as it is those small percentages the new bike is better that will add up.

Just to be open about this I am not suggesting the old bikes are as good but I am surprised how close they stack up to the new stuff. The fun part is you get to tell your flashy 8K riding buddies they can't keep up with a 29 yo bike :D
  7. somdale Husqvarna
    AA Class

YIKES that first bridge needs guard rails!!!LOL. Nice stuff. Didn't appear you were much above idle most of the way. How is the weight?

BTW...fall LEFT if you do LOL

Dale
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I ride so much cliffy stuff (which used to scare me) I don't even notice that stuff any more. As for being just off idle believe me it still has plenty of thrust there. trying to ride in the mid range would be suicide. As for the weight it feels similar to all Wr250/300 I have ridden. Need to weigh it.
  9. somdale Husqvarna
    AA Class

" Just off idle " is a good thing on trails like that. Sounded pretty crisp. Good torque. DAMN wish I could buy my local one.

dale
  10. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

My take is early 90's on up most trail-dirt bikes, haven't gone through a big change,
    That said the newer bikes have lots more refinements, and as in the case of motocross bikes they have changed a lot. But the fact is we normal riders are not good enough to be able to use the dif, between old or new. This isnt to say we cant ride the bikes, but we sure cant ride the potential of the bikes.

Anyone just starting out would do just fine with a 92 up dirtbike as far as keeping up with your buddies trail riding. In my case been riding dirt bikes since I bought Fred Flinstones dirt bike used, I love the 92 up mx bikes for trail riding.

I also think the 4 stroke rage set the dirt bikes into limbo for awhile (I own a 4st, dirtbike and love it) But you just cant beat the 2st as far as a trail rider, and when the fuel injected 2st comes out it will pounce the 4st bikes in mx, ex, and other races, emissions, and pure fun factor. How do I know this? I own a 2st outboard motor from mercury, that is fuel injected, has a higher epa rating then all 4st outboards, weighs a hundred pounds less then same hp 4st, and flat does the job.

Two strokes in my opinion are bred for dirt, and water (bike and boat) 4st in that area were legislated into being. Not that the Husky, honda, yamaha, and the rest havent done an excellent job adapting the 4st, but they are not 2st's, with the easy maintenance, cost of keeping them up and pure power the 2st has, it takes a 450 fst to keep up with a 250 2st. Those 4st's are pure hybrid racing engines too, against basically a chain saw motor...

great video.... you need guard rails the whole trail.....near the end of your video I was wondering if you lost your buddy over the side.
    Mike
  11. sprocket74 Husqvarna
    B Class

Iam with you on the older bikes. I just started restoring a 97 KX500 and Iam digging my 92 kdx kx 125 hybrid out of the cob webs because they are just fun to ride. Not to mention that you can do a lot of resto work for the $8000 you can put into buying a new ride. I do love my '10 TE250 though just wish there was a big bore kit for it.
  12. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Once you restore the kx500 The need for speed/power will be satisfied:)
    [IMG]

Mike
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I was wondering if you thought the newer bikes handling falls off more than older ones once the tires get worn? While my newest one is six years old it seemed incredible the way it turned but after a while didn't seem as impressive.

Fran
  14. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    I got a guy within 100 miles of me selling a 93 WXC360 with a fresh top end, bearings and seals plus cables and he is asking 1200. I might just have to see about this!
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sounds like a deal on a fun bike. :thumbsup:
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    "no clutch" .....:D :thumbsup:

bout says it all. that was awesome kel.

plus- at them throttle settings you'll get about a 1000 miles per tank. cant count the times i was behind one of them and all day long just heard ''brrp-ding-ding-dading-brrrp-ding-ding-dadingdingding" while i was motoring on the 250 trying to keep up. when it opened up i backed off or it was broken visors, front # plates and goggle lenses.

the 360 is an open class killer. putt's and rips w/o loading up or squeaking. gotta standing bet with my dez racer buddy the 2000 360 im sniffing around will put his all-in kx500 on the trailer in a drag race. he's in serious denial. won't be if i get it, then, take his 100$ at el mirage dry lake bed. :doh: :busted:
  17. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

I dont know about that, the kx 500 might get beat if the rider of the kx gets scared, Your looking at over 90+ mph stock, change the counter shaft gear and its like 115mph :eek:A little scary for a dirt bike.

But If you dont want that 360, I would be interested in checking it out
    Mike
  18. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    And next week you will find a different best ever built bike, then kick the 360 to the curb...

:
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes, thats about when the 449 might show up :D

- BTW never said this was anywhere close the the best bike ever built. I am simply excited it does not give much away to the new stuff and the motor is a jem. Thats all, nothing more.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    done this before. his is geared up (5 spd). if i get this thing mine will be too (6 spd, and, still got the sprocket from the last go round) plus i know some tips fer lake dragging so...brings yer too. :) braap! :D