92 WR360 thoughts and comparison to a 07 WR250...

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Motosportz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I also have a KX500 and although i have not ridden it in a while I think it will be a real close match. The 360 has monster mid and revs quicker as well as 100 mph gearing. The KX500 is deceptively fast as it is all big bottom but signs off way before the 360 does. I'm guessing they make similar HP figures near or at 50 hp (guess). I would have a hard time placing a bet on that one. Drag racing has a lot to do with the rider and terrain as well.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    he says his bike is faster. he's got 5 gears. 360 has 6. we can go stock to stock or gear to the moon. powerwise the 500 trumps. but it just aint got the legs the wr gearbox has. it'll be on a lake bed. speed contest. hell be in 5th pinned, then the hoosk grabs another gear. bye-bye.
  3. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I get you on the trail riding thing Kelly. One thing I have noticed myself is that for the high mountain stuff I do here in Idaho -- I rarely get out above third and rarely hit the top end. What seems to be more of a premium on the technical stuff for me is clean running bottom and mid, brakes and plush suspension [to keep the wheels tracking]. I'm not sure you need state of the art to do that while riding with your buddies.

I agree -- racing is a different animal altogether. For me the higher speed stuff in the desert [or even more "wide open" trail riding like China Hat, Naches/Taneum and Idaho City] require more updated bikes. In these areas it seems the chasis is what really makes the difference as the speed comes up. I think the extra dollars spent on newer bikes make sense in these types of areas.
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    think kel made a good point. newer def aint better re: dirt bikes in most cases. ya look at some of the 'older' designs and such post-cartridge fork, like 200 and 300 cc enduros, big bores off roaders like the 550 D-XC and modded mx'ers like the kx500, with some fine tuning (that we do to new bikes anyways) they are still at least competetive as the new stuff for a fraction of the cost. its actually cool seeing older stuff going head to head with brand new stuff. "better" is a broad term and i'd apply it to reliabilty only regardless of media hype and magazines cuz you can only reinvent the wheel so much.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Some of these older bikes have great features they now leave out. In some ways this is going backwards but it's what we asked for when we shop by weight and demand light bikes. For example the 92 and 94 have lots of cool features the new bikes do not...

- slim and low 3.4 gallon tank STOCK
    - zerks on the swingarm and linkage
    - wide ratio 6 speed
    - strong steel kick stand
    - Frame loops to protect the motor and parts
    - my 94 has externally adjustable fork preload
    - Factory spark arrestor
    - twin wall nearly indestructible pipe

I wish they would make a RACE version and a TRAIL version of the WR250/300 and bring back the 360 with all these "old" features. My 99 WR250 was the last of this breed and is still one of my favorite versions of the WR. First new husky I ever bought and it was a fantastic bike.

[IMG]
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    yepper. my '93 RMX was the same way. mx based, hard-enrudo ready, EPA legal, w/ lights, un-resricted engine. lots of a/m support. had it 7 years in various stages of tune/set-up.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ha ha I had a 95 RMX as well. Great bike but the motor needed help stock. The RM head and a pipe made it come alive. Was really down on power stock.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    If you look at first gear as 1.00 how high does high have to be before it can be called wide ratio. Does that number remain the same for a 125 vs an open bike. Do you really think this husky really has another gear over a KX500 or a CR 500 honda. What about a ktm 380 or 440 or 550. I computed a ratio of 2.68 for a wr 360 in sixth and 2.21 in fifth as for the kx 500 2.52. I think the new ktm six speed larger wider ratio two stroke is in the 2.95 range. What husky has in the wide ratio over in the vintage or older single cam four stroke is close to 3.5 if I recall.

Fran
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I believe the WR360 will rev a lot higher than the KX500 though.

BTW my wr360 is geared WAY down, as it you could get off and walk beside the bike in first without clutching it. Works great for tight woods and you almost never need to use the clutch. But the top end speed is probably only about 60 or so geared this way.
  10. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i used the RM h/g and an fmf pipe and a modified power core sliencer. power came up fine for me. great flywheel effect still.

sorry guys- didnt mean to start nothin'. i actually like a lot of the new better than the older stuff.

and i really liked the "no clutch!" part of the video. good vid and congrats on the score kel. enjoy yer new old bike, and, try not to smash this one huh? ;)
  11. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

braaaaaaap braaaaaaaaap braaaaaaaaap ring ding ding ding ding:lol:
    Ill keep mine in 4th gear just to be fair, heck I never use 5th anyway

Really though if you dont buy the bike and its available sure would like a husky 360
    Mike
  12. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

That is so insanely nice....
    Mike
  13. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

What I was able to look up on the net the kx500 hp is between 55-62hp
    but the bike only weighs like 226 pounds, Its still a big bike it feels big.
    I think if the kx500 had an electric start, they would probaly use a 360 husky motor for the job:D
    Mike
  14. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i pinged my bro and am waiting for more info.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have trouble believing those figures. 55hp and 245 pounds maybe.
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kawi lists a 99 KX500 as 220 lbs dry. Add a full tank of gas and oil in the tranny and you are looking at 238 lbs. Then adjust for gravity in Japan vs the increased gravity in the US and you would add another 15 or so pounds.....
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Right ... welcome to reality ;0) The suspension on newer bikes will be better but again only slightly n some way ... Whats a new suspension on a MX bike today? Its very stiff to handle the giant jumps... What is so great there? That 1992 bike was class A quality in its day ... How does the suspension feel on the trails?

If you have disk brakes, you are as ~modern as it gets ...

U pinning that 360? I think not and if you are, please have health insurance ... 360 trumps 250 trumps 125 ...
  18. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

yeah something like that, except cancel the weight of gas cause it doesnt last long in the bike.....as far as the gravity thing, thats only for half a day, so delete 15 pounds or so 12 hours a day.

ohh I use helium in the tires so there you have it 226 pounds or so.:confused:
    mike
  19. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

You mean like this.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    PONY RIDER likes this.
  20. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I think it was Australian Dirtbike who on a test of a WR360 claimed a top speed of 95 mph with stock gearing. They claimed the rear tire was still spinning.

I currently have a 2002 WR360 engine in a 2007 WR chassis and I really think it is a one bike does it all set up.