1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE449 Running well with factory EFI system - finally

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dangermouse449, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    In Aussie dollars they were discounted to $9300 ride away with a Husky pit-tent & the Akro muffer free. (Old stock now even cheaper)
    The competition was around $13+K.....:naughty:
    I knew nothing of the EFI issues, just that they rode really well in the bush, I was sold.

It has been killing me having such a great bike with the poor efi tuning.
    With the mods, it is great & I have a couple more ideas up my sleeve yet too.

I am NOT anti PCV either, I just want to play with it & see if it can be fixed, I'm on a mission :D
    9880sts likes this.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    So. reading back through the thread, it looks like we have 4 or 5 bikes with mods.

How are you guys finding them??
  3. nonferrous Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    RMZ450
    completely agree - stock they are gutless but opened up and breathing the over square design revs higher and harder than any thing else I have tried - yes I did my research as well but didn't expect it to be as bad as it was - I knew a pipe and tuner would be needed but other issues came up as well like where in NZ could I get the ECU flashed with map 3 etc. - all in the past and will enjoy this awesome piece of kit until something else better comes along
  4. Hughisdaft Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 449
    Never for a second does the bad outweigh the good let me get that straight, Maybe they are just that overwhelmingly great we cant stand having them any less than perfect :thumbsup: I am over the moon with my Smr even though I havent even started working with a pcv and the racemap 3

Heres hoping that the rmx450z gets ADR compliance sometime soon, I dont think that the jap bikes roll out of the showroom in better trim just that when you want to change/improve something you have a huge network of knowledge and other owners to go to. unlike us our only source of information comes from this single forum and our dealers.
  5. Hughisdaft Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 449
    What did you do to open your air box, Here in Australia the Tc and Te air boxes are identical and I am yet to find a Tc style air box I can purchase online, So if anyone has successfully and safely derestricted their air box I would love to know
  6. Lon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE511
    I've yet to get out on mine. Might be a while before I do (torn ACL from the last ride), but even in the garage, the difference is noticeable.
  7. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006

You can order a 2011 model TC lid from Hall's cycles. around 30us dollars.

Or u cut out the lid yourself. Following the marks from the TC model.
    Then i roughened the surface with Emory paper and used Car window Adhesive to glue in a mesh. You could use a Loud speaker mesh for example.

tcairbox.jpg
    jasov and Dangermouse449 like this.
  8. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    goes like i wish it should have been from the START......
    Just found 2011 TE 449 at a Guys place who sold me a Radiator and fan from a bike he Wrecked. But he also owns a SMR 2011/511 model.
    The TE 449 he bought from a Guy who used to race Enduro Cross here in Australia.
    It was tuned from the Dealership in Victoria i go. Responsive like a TC and didn't stall at all. No Flame out's.. He's friend owns a TE511 .. Flame outs and not as responsive.
    Well we pulled the Intake boot off and found the FBW butterfly removed.
    Lever where the little stud is pressed in , was just cut off.

no PCV installed.

Akropovic header pipe and Akro Race Muffler.
    Raywoo and Dangermouse449 like this.
  9. Hughisdaft Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 449
    Ok thats perfect, I have only owned the bike for less than a month and work commitments have stopped me from tinkering so having all the info thrown at me is great thanks guys I can clearly see that the husky scene is great
  10. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
  11. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I phoned Full Throttle Motorcycles in Brisbane, about an hour from me, before I started my mods.
    I told them the bikes troubled history, they said to bring it down & were sure they could cure it. I was keen to take it in but time beat me with work & planed rides.
    In talking to their service manager, things moved to piggy-backs, he said they have never had to install one.
    It is a big call given the views here, dunno if they can or not.

The bike you mentioned sounds just like the one my mate bought, raced before & rides perfectly.
    I will have to grab it & check it out, see what it has.....or hasn't got installed :-)
  12. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    Sounds like our bikes run quite nice now.. just the way we mod em now.

I just love it now when i twist that throttle and i get the response i was always looking for...

One more thing i might do again........... Install on my spare rear rim a Michelin Trails tire. Tubeless and run it with 14 psi. Just for the Technical stuff and when we do singles the whole day...
  13. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006

if you need to look up parts ... here is the old Husky australia page. Still working with all Manuals

http://www.husqvarnamotorcycles.com.au/support.asp?id=4&t=Parts Catalogues&cid=3
  14. nonferrous Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    RMZ450
    True Hugh :) It is unlikely the RMX will get ADR approval given the lack of market interest and if it did you will be looking at mega bucks to motard prepare it like brakes, rims and other road legal stuff - for now we can be content with the awesome Husky SMR and I look forward to hearing what you think about the PCV, Map 3 improvement when you get around to it
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    They will never get market interest without rego. Simple. It is not a contender in the Enduro market without it.
    I took the time to contact Suzuki with regard to the possibility of ADR compliance as I was in the market for a new Enduro bike but it must be registered, & I would wait if it was likely, they replied they had no plans at all to ADR them.
    I bought the Husky & took the time to let them know the were loosing out on sales, I got no response.

I made the right decision anyway, I love the Husky!
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    Guys do any of you /or have you had any issues with the bike at 1/4 throttle jerking.and backing of cracking even sometimes a flame from the rear. I run race map 2 ,pro circuit full system, had the tps adjusted because a tree branch smashed it, 98 oct even tryed octane 104. still same problem .
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Not on my own bike, no. It runs the supplied Arko slip-on.

I would think, without mods to the fueling, the open Pro-circuit exhaust may make it lean causing the backfires. They are lean anyway.

I'd look at getting Map 3 uploaded into the ECU as a start.

I have also had loose clamps on the rubber connector on my throttle body to head connection sucking air, be worth checking those.
    Tinken likes this.
  18. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    ’13 TE511
    Engine Mods:
    Race map 3
    PCV running Zip-ty Burson FB with richened up low RPM mix
    FMF with silent insert (not very silent)
    Self-modified, opened up airbox
    Stock gearing
    And now, removal of the FBW, secondary butterfly (20 minute, free modification).

When I first started the bike after removal of the butterfly I was scared. I blipped the throttle and it bogged. “OH NO!”… I disconnected the positive battery terminal for 20 minutes then hooked it all back up. It wasn't until the following morning that I was able to take it out for a full test ride. The initial cold start up still had a very slight bog. I let it warm up idling then off for a test. The bog was very short lived and disappeared completely after warm up.

Throttle response was dramatically improved. I don't think I can overstate it. Regardless of gear, regardless of RPM, regardless of throttle opening the bike shot forward with more authority than it ever had. There wasn’t a single hint of poor “carburetion” at any engine speed. Prior to removal of the butterfly, I had cured the flameout problem 99% with the PCV. Every once in a while it would stall; less than once every-other 2 hour ride, but there was always a hint of it and the possibility of flameout was always on my mind. With the butterfly removal, there wasn’t even a hint-of-a-possibility of a flameout. In testing it, I could ride in 3rd gear at very low speed, wack the throttle open and it would launch forward like a supercross bike pivoting out of a hairpin turn right before an 80’ triple. No hesitation, just hard acceleration. It reminded me of increase of low end power that some have described after installing an FMF megabomb header (which I don’t have… yet.)

Theory: #1
    At least part of the flameout problem with the TE’s is momentary poor coordination of the two butterflies. I don’t doubt that it’s “lean fueling” at very low RMP but I suspect it’s caused, at least in part, by the two butterflies not playing well together at those low RPMs.

Theory: #2
    The initial bog I was getting with the cold engine is a product of richening up the PCV at low RPMs in order to avoid flameouts at low engine speed. If #1 is correct, I should be able to dial back the rich setting of the PCV and still avoid flameouts. As I’m writing, the engine is still warm from my 2 hour test ride so I’ll have to update on that later.

Theory #3
    Cheep, small amounts of auto parts store penstriping can personalize a bike just fine.
    Raywoo, jasov, 9880sts and 4 others like this.
  19. Hughisdaft Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 449
    after many many hours of trying I finally aligned the sensor myself big relief, however bike is not running well and very under powered now not sure what the issue could be. Any suggestions tried a tps reset
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Great to hear Thrasher! :thumbsup:

- 'Throttle response was dramatically improved. I don't think I can overstate it. Regardless of gear, regardless of RPM, regardless of throttle opening the bike shot forward with more authority than it ever had.'

That is exactly how my bike reacted. Sweet.:)

- 'The initial cold start up still had a very slight bog. I let it warm up idling then off for a test. The bog was very short lived and disappeared completely after warm up.'

I have always religiously warmed my bikes up until the radiator is warm to the touch before riding, so I haven't noticed this as yet and we don't get close to freezing temps here either.

With regard to the theories - I'm heading home from working away tonight.
    #1 - I will slo-mo video the throttle shafts with covers off while riding as this is what I thought it has been doing all along. My reason for removing the plate.

More bikes getting results is great, people can just enjoy riding a great bike instead of getting pissed off at the efi system. :applause: