2009 TE610's finally arriving!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Bobby, Apr 28, 2009.

1. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Where are they, TE 610's that is...specifically.? We could probably see them all sold in 24 hours if you supply the information
  2. knary Husqvarna
    B Class

When I was shopping for mine a few weeks ago, there was at least one in Minnesota, another in Connecticut and, IIRC, another in Massachusetts. There were rumors of a few more but I stopped looking when I found a lightly used one locally.

The people that want a dual sport like this, really really want one. There just aren't that many of us compared to those that want a cheap dirt bike, a cheap japanese dual sport (e.g. KLR), a cruiser, a sportbike, etc. It's why the Transalp, Tenere, and bigger DS's aren't sold here. The best selling ones are essentially standard motorcycles with longer legs (V-strom, BMW GS), not more dirt focused bikes like ours. That doesn't mean these aren't great bikes.
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

The thing that I see as the problem is that the 610 has not been properly promoted or supported. There are plenty of us that want more than a plated dirt bike. If the factory were to offer a few options such as a well engineered set of saddle bags, better lighting and more comfortable seat they could start tapping into the full potential of the machine.
    If they company would promote the bike as a versatile middle weight adventure touring bike with better off road capabilities than other bikes in it's class and maybe offer some inexpensive wheel/tire combos that don't require you engineer you're own set up they could reach a even bigger clientele. They should be doing a better job of promoting this bike rather than treating it like the best kept secret in the industry.:excuseme:
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want to be positive. Not sure how to do that when discussing short comings of Husky. I've intentionally self-censored myself for 6 months regarding the 610. But if Cafe Husky is all about helping the dentist from Illinois make informed decisions about getting a new bike--well then at some point we have to have an open and honest conversation.

Rajo--

Couldnt agree more. Im gonna hide behind your post and go with it. I dont want to be seen as Mike-the-dark-guy, at all! BUT GEEEZ! What is up with Husky? Seriously?
    The 610 is simply the best dual sport made. They should be selling thousands. The market is there. The demand is there. There hasnt been a TE610 for sale in California for over 6 months! Thats a fact.
    How can the bike sell well when its not available in its biggest market in the world? And now they are only bringing 1 or 2 to each dealer? Those bikes are all pre-sold. I know, ive asked around about getting a '09--so i can race it in a rally. Guess what---its not available in Cali--unfreakin believable! The few coming in are all spoken for!

It just floors me. I dont get it. Husky wants more sales. They have this incredible bike. They talk about needing to be profitable. The tooling on this bike was payed for 14 years ago! Its all just unbelievable.

And you know what else is bizarre to me? The silence.
    No explanation. No communication from anyone. Ask your local Husky dealer what is going on with this bike, and you will not get an answer.

Is there alien beings involved? The CIA? Is there some incredible DOHC 650 engine coming out in '10? Is BMW gonna kill the 610 and replace it with their 650? Who knows. Nobody, as far as i can tell.

Its like the ship is at sea but the captain fell into a black hole when aliens beemed him up.

Seriously. What is the deal with the TE610?
    Why so late?
    Why so few?
    Does it have a future beyond the limited edition '09 1/2's?
    And why isnt there any info about all this?
    And why do we have to pussy foot around about discussing these simple, straight forward questions?

----------------
    This isnt a rant. A rant is when the bike sells out and ya have to wait a month for the new ones to get in. And then ya complain about it.

We've been waiting for 6 months, and thats more than a reasonable time to patiently wait for info. All i've seen is a pic of an '08 in a brochure--all ive heard is what was said at the dealers meeting last Oct. And that 'they are on a boat'

Squeek, squeek. :)
  5. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

I've been following this thread with great interest and as a 610 owner I share many of the same sentiments. The only things that come to mind in regards to the extremely limited availability of the TE610 in 09 is that perhaps there is a new model in development for 2010? or has BMW decided to market Husqvarna strictly as a "race" brand and offer a more dual sport oriented bike under the BMW moniker?
    Whatever is really going on it's sure a big disappointment this year as I had seriously considered buying an 09 so I could experience some of the changes and updates from my 2006 model.
  7. rajobigguy Administrator

"The only things that come to mind in regards to the extremely limited availability of the TE610 in 09 is that perhaps there is a new model in development for 2010?"
    A couple of years ago there was rumor of a 650 twin cam that would replace the time tested 610.

"or has BMW decided to market Husqvarna strictly as a "race" brand and offer a more dual sport oriented bike under the BMW moniker?"
    Reading between the lines of some of BMW's press releases, it seems like this might be a strong possibility

Whatever the case is, it would be nice to know because like you many people might be waiting in the wings to upgrade but don't want to make the jump without knowing whats coming.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    There will most likely be a new 650 in a year or so. Shared engine with BMW..... possible, but not probable.

BMW/Husky isn't treating the TE610 DS any different than Cagiva/Husky...... A great bike for a small market, with meager support.

14 year old tooling? The top end and frame are pure '86 510TE, at least '91 TE/WXE610 anyway. Bottom end is early 90's Cagiva W12/W16 DS bike's. The Cagiva was a dog (especially the 350), but stir in some Husky bits and pure magic!:cheers:

Don't over read between the lines of our Teutonic Masters!:busted:
  9. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280

Where would you like me to ship one? :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I think the moving of the production line might have had something to do with it. Having to re-tool to produce a dated design probably wasn't cost efficient. So they ran what they could before abandoning ship to the new facility. Just my take.

Not sure what's in the pipeline with a replacement, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of 650 DOHC. The BMW G650 (used to be F650GS) single is a very robust and torquey power plant, if they could re-gear it similar to the TE610 and do a trellis frame, it would be right in 690 territory with alot better reliability and longevity. We've seen 70k on the BMW 650 singles and no worse for the wear. Valve adjustments are no more involved then the TE610 and the engine is definitely more robust, just need to get it in a suitable frame and suspension.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I was wondering what was up with the 610.

Any extremely wild guesses on weight of replacement?

EDIT - or how wide the gearbox might be? 610 has a really wide gearbox which makes it nice for a dualsport.
    EDIT 2 - I looked on the bmw site, the single BMW G 650 GS? 423 lbs ready to ride, 387 lbs dry?

It looks like an adventure bike, not a dualsport to me, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is a completely different market.
  11. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a 650gs. Thats a heavy motor. They raced them in Dakar, in fact winning overall in 2000 with that motor.

I went and bought the first one available in Cali from the big beemer dealer in Sacramento. Thinking BMW was gonna be the place to be for rally bikes. There was a poster of the new 900RR that was gonna come out.....

Then-BMW just dropped their entire 'off road' program. Right when i'd invested a pretty penny. Rode that modified bike in Baja, beat it up.
    Went back to Honda. Ironic if that motor comes back to haunt me again....

You guys who have been with BMW and like off road probably remember that time when BMW tried to market itself as 'extreme' and dealers sold off-road gear (sound familiar?). I still have some BMW off road gear. Its actually great stuff.

Im once bit, twice shy now with BMW and 'dual sports'

The gs650 motor when they added the 6th gear and finally got the mapping figured out on the FI is impressive, but its also 10 years old now.

If they go that route, it will be a massive aftermarket upramp. But thats ok. I really hope they get all the rest of the bike worked out.

2 years ago i wrote on TT that the TE610 would die if BMW bought Husky. I gotta do a search and find that one.

So will this new bike be badged both Husky and BMW? A red one and a blue one? Or will it be like a Beta w/ the KTM motor?

If i was sailling the ship i would keep the 610, add some 'rally' type options, and get Lance Armstrong to race one at Dakar. (he rides baja every year, secretly) And i would get Charlie Boorman on the team. The company that puts on Dakar also puts on Tour de France. And i would film it all.

Just killing time in my car waiting for my wife to finish shopping. Gotta love WiFi. :thumbsup:
  13. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    The question Mike... does it still fit.:D

:lol::lol::lol:

:cheers:
  14. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Yep, sure glade I picked up the 08 SM610 from Hall's last month.
    If the TE610 is going to be so elusive this year, and no word about the 09 SM what I did was a good thing. I can see how this bike would be a great "do it all dual sport".
    I love this bike and would love to turn it into a TE for the long haul rides on some occasions, but Mt TE450 is good enough for that. However, on the other hand if the XR4 was a e-button/kick combo it would be an absolute do it all bike also. Every time I ride that old pig it just kills me that the wife tells me to keep it up for sale. Well, maybe no one will buy it in this economy any how and it will stay with me.

Mike, does that BMW off road gear fit still? LOL
  15. johnnywad Husqvarna
    B Class

2009 te610

Mikekay I just put a deposit down on a 610 yesterday. The dealer said the North Am Sales Rep told him he would have them in two weeks. The dealer has more coming in besides the one I put a deposit on. Check with MotoXotica in Vacaville. :applause:
  16. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None

This raises some interesting points and has been one of the main conflicts between the marketing and commercial guys with just about every company I've ever worked for.

As a general rule Marketing wants to tell you the good news about the exciting new bikes and make the brand look dynamic and progressive.

However the commercial guys know that as soon as you announce the new bike, customers stop buying the current one. Manufacturers have to then discount the current bikes to sell them to dealers which means no profit, dealers with stock then have to discount their stock to sell them to customers which makes being a dealer for that brand less attractive. Without dealers the brand doesn't grow and sales decline so there's less money for new bike development. Without new bike development, Marketing have nothing to tell you about and without profitable sales theres no money to go racing...

As a general rule, new models which expand a range (don't replace an existing bike) will be made public far earlier than evolutions of existing bikes.

Relating this to Husky, if there was a V twin adventure bike due to compete with KTM there'd be no reason not to announce it a year in advance - it wouldn't stop sales of any existing Husky model and maybe then some people would wait for the Husky and not buy the KTM. In the UK we've seen it this year that TE250 sales are slow because people have seen the new engine version and don't want to buy what they perceive instantly as the 'old' bike, despite the fact it's still a good bike that would serve most people perfectly well.

With regards magazines and aftermarket suppliers, if they don't know a bike is due to be replaced then there is still a chance you may get a test or parts produced. If they know a bike is to be discontinued then they definitely won't do anything with it.

So in summary, I can understand Mikes frustration but actually releasing information too far in advance when current product is still in stock with dealers or the factory does far more harm than good in the longer term... well thats my experience, I welcome other opinions!

Dave
  17. bizguy4u Husqvarna
    B Class

I ordered my 2009 TE610IE recently and was advised it would be delivered end of this month May.

This is my 2nd machine the other being a 2006 which was outstanding.

Taking it to give it a workout in Australia!
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If i was sailling the ship i would keep the 610, add some 'rally' type options, and get Lance Armstrong to race one at Dakar. (he rides baja every year, secretly) And i would get Charlie Boorman on the team

Are you serious?
  19. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lance rides Baja. He's not bad off road.

Would i really do that if i sailed the ship?

No, if i sailed the ship i would go race Dakar on the new bike. :lol:

Regarding my '99 BMW riding gear. As long as i dont have to zip it shut, it fits great. :thumbsup:

The jacket and pants zip together. Not sure why. They are super reflective.

I'll bring the jacket to the Husky memorial ride. :excuseme:

Might protect me from any head-ons with BMW GS1150's (just had one)
  20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Blipster,

Any chance of a photo shop of a Tourtech BMW rally bike with a gunsite on it?