1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 cr 430 Husqvarna re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troublemaker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I got the de-compressor head back today,you could kick it in tennis shoes sitting on the seat.Larry did a great job as usual.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    husky jim likes this.
  2. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Awsome job nice and simple looking. Looks factory!! you have Larry contact info? I would like to have one done for my bike. Do you think Larry would be interested and if so, would you PM his contact info? Did you get your pipe yet??? I put a real nice moose pipe protector on mine ( ebay $42 free shipp. )
  3. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks,yes,Larry does great work and I don't know how he does them so inexpensive $125+$7 shipping.
    I ordered my new pipe and silencer over three weeks ago and I'm getting tired of waiting.I hope it's worth the $ and the wait.
    Larry Wiechman
    11302 Jeremy Lane
    Roscoe, IL 61073

wiechman@charter.net
  4. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Sweet,do you have any pictures?
  5. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    It's 8ga. Aluminum and pretty tough. I added two extra clamps. Taking it out on it's first ride next Sunday. My buddy is having a poker run. Gateway BMW / Husqvarna will be there with some new 2012 Demos to test ride. Last year there was a few mint condition mid 70s Huskys, but they never got off the trailer. Picture 637.jpg Picture 639.jpg
    troublemaker likes this.
  6. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Vey nice,I just got off the phone with Rich and he said I should see mine mid part of next week.
    Have fun next sunday.
  7. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Ok,I have been working on the bike for the last two day's trying to get it to start a bit more reliable.I have been on here going through old threads trying to find some answers to why it starts in one kick sometimes and takes 10 the next time.That is with and without the de-compression valve on.Come to find out it was just a little on the rich side and with these weak Motoplat ignition's it would wet the plug after just a few kicks.I went from a 170 main down to a 168 main and it fixed the problem and man this thing really rips now.dug a 30 ft long trench 2inches deep just cracking the throttle in 3rd gear with a brand new tire too.
  8. speedyauto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nauto 430 & 2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    there are only Huskies!
    I love the decomp conversion, best one I've ever seen & will certainly look at doing it when cash is spare.
    I do have a few Q's if you don't mind, as I've never had a manual Husky (only auto's) & am not sure how much power to expect.
    1. what size carby do you have? mine is a 38mm.
    2. what is the jetting are you using?
    3. which needle are you using?
    4. what timing before TDC are you using?

Thanks,
    Speedy.
  9. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

My carb is a 38 mm Keihin PJ,not sure on the needle but it has a 168 main jet
    Timing is around 2.5 mm BTDC
  10. speedyauto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nauto 430 & 2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    there are only Huskies!
    Sorry I took so long to get back to you, really appreciate was the info it was really handy.
    Thanks,
    Speedy.
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I've got a '92 CR500 Honda. How would you compare the Husky 500 power to the Honda 500 power? I would guess total HP is similar, but I would guess the Husky is smoother and the Honda hits harder? Is the Husky harder to start than the Honda?
  12. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

The honda makes better high rpm power where the Husky has a lot more mid range.and the hit is a lot harder on the Honda.The Honda starts on the first or second kick,I'm dealing with an ignition issue on the Husky right now but before the problem it would fire within 3 kicks.
    The 500 Husy is a strange bird,on the Honda you just ride the kick started down but the husky like's a little rabbit kick.I'm guessing it is due to the high compression (10.5:1) and the kicker ratio being that it won't take the piston past tdc more than once in one kick.IMO
  13. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    I copied that nice looking deco setup and found the hole drilled through the head is too small and the bike kicks back.
    Enlarged the hole and had no problems.
    [IMG]
  14. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice job with both of those improvements.How is the head stay working?
  15. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Yer Trouble I won't know until I give it a good run.
    I have fitted that stay to my WR240 as well .
    Have 5 acres here and can't really get a good idea.
    Seems to have cut the vibration down heaps on both bikes.
  16. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Hey Troublemaker,
    Did you ever get your new pipe? Any pictures? Will it be like Jim's above? I like the chrome look, it that a Dyno pipe?
    I'm reading this thread to plan more mod to my 87 430 WR.
    Thank again.
    Dave

My stock 87 430, just rebuilt the Ohlins rear shock with stiffer spring.
    image (5).jpeg
  17. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice bike dude.The pipe from dyno port has been a nightmare.Took over a month for them to get them to build me a pipe after excuse after excuse.Then I get it and for one it wont even come close to fitting,half painted.Looks like the silencer mounts are welded upside down.Rich told me he was getting ups to pick it up from me to get it back to him,over a week goes by and no ups.They have had the pipe back now for over two weeks now and I have not even got a phone call from them.My ignition took a dump so I'm not riding it but if I was I would be on my way to New York to get my money back.I can understand having some issues and I have been very patient up to this point but when you charge top dollar there should be some customer service in there too.By the way don't go by his prices on the web site,this pipe painted black and a shorty silencer cost me $528........
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Time to get your money back.
    Not sure I like how it's built. Not smooth enough through all the bends.

I been looking around the Web for custom pipe makers. I like the unpainted pipes.
    Have you heard of Circle F Exhaust? Closer to you in Houston. My vintage racing friends say they make good pipes. Don't know if they would make one for an 87.
    There's also a recent thread here on Scalvini exhausts, they look cool too.
    Dave

here's a http://www.circlefexhaust.com/ pipe
    circleFpipe.jpg
  19. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

In France, we have that kind of artist but he needs the bike to build the pipe.

pots 400 wrlc 84.jpg 400 wrlc Chartrain 2.JPG
  20. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Kevin at Cricle F can make a pipe for any bike, but he has to have the bike there. However, last time I talked to him about doing a pipe for a bike he didnt have one yet he said he was so backed up with work he couldnt start building a new pipe.