1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 cr 430 Husqvarna re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troublemaker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Well I changed my mind and I'm going to put this bike back together.The way I see it,I'll spend more money than it's worth but to me it will be worth it in fun.
    I'll start with my parts needed list.If anyone has any of these parts and want to sell them.send me a pm.
    UPDATED PARTS LIST:

Shift lever
    Kick start lever
    Complete motoplat ignition system.

Throttle assembly+cable
    Clutch cable

More to the list as I get into it.
    I need to split the cases,what tools do I need ?
    I am going to re seal and put new bearings in it,also there is an issue with the kick starter.
    Any advice is welcomed. :notworthy:
  2. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

3. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

spliting cases

Its easier to split the cases than to put them back together again because they are soooooo tight. Unlike maico, bultaco,cz etc all husky cases from around 73 are precision ! [and magnesium] and i would urge you to beg or borrow the genuine tools ie the motoplat puller for the flywheel, the gear type puller for the primary gear... its so tight on crank no woodruff key used just an interference fit.... put the gear in the oven before you put it back on...and the infamous genuine husky tool called the "mangle".. this make splitting the cases a breeze and is also used to put them back together.... alaways use the freezer to shrink bearings and the oven to warm cases....be careful with any rubber seals though! i have made a puller with 1/2" thick plate steel with a long hefty threaded bolt in centre ....and holes to screw in the ignition cover bolts.. then just wind in and cases pull apart..... dont even think of lump hammers to put them together!:banghead:
  4. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I found almost all new plastic at DC PLASTICS.
    I got an engine off Ebay,it has alot of parts I needed.(supposed to be a good running take out)
  5. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Great info thanks.
  6. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Anybody know who sells a factory looking seat cover?
  7. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Actually looking at your pictures the engine doesn't seem to have a lot of use. I note, the condition of the rubber kick starter stop, the amount of paint on the clutch cover, the condition of the splines on the sprocket shaft and kick start shaft, the amount of paint and lack of damage around the sprocket just to name a few things.

As to what you need to split and re assemble the cases, you certainly need the puller for the ignition which isn't much money or hard to get. There are threads (topics) you can search out here where folks made their own stuff to adapt generic pullers to do the job. If you make a pile of what you have and take a picture perhaps I could type more if it looks like what I have used. Generally I have been repairing the rear of engines and using them as is however I have one apart now. I think one issue is how to get that double row bearing on the crank ignition side in the right place. It doesn't pull up against anything(in it's bore of course it pulls up against a washer like thing). I did one a long time ago and heating the case and hoping it dropped on didn't happen, (you have the transmission shafts and rods the shifting forks ride on to align) it might for others the crank bearings are pretty tight in the cases the bearings generally stay and the crank comes out. If you don't change the crank bearings you won't have that issue.

I could comment on your kick start issues once you photograph what you find.

One last thing I just learned the hard way, break that nut on the clutch shaft with the fold over washer loose while the chain and wheel are still attached to the engine. I had an un necessary battle with that this time.
  9. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Ok I took most of the engine apart, apparently somebody has already started taking this apart before I got it and they mushroomed the ignition side of the crankshaft.(probably trying to get the flywheel off) I got my ebay engine from Old Husky Chuck,good guy to deal with.Thanks again Chuck.I bought a 89 Kawasaki KX 250 to ride while I fix the Husky up,It ran real strong untill I changed the trans fluid and found out it had a blown crank seal.I guess for $300 it would have some issues.So,I bought the case splitter and a few other special tools and went to town on it.Yes you have to split the cases on this thing to replace the crank seals.I now have the lower end back together and would have been riding it today if the gasket set had come.When I get the KX done I'll get back on the 430.
  10. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

do an epoxy fix on the engine you got from me, drop it in, kick it, ride it....
  11. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I got the new case bushings and got the engine in.I ordered most of the parts I needed also,all new plastic too.For the most part all I'm missing is the Expansion chamber and a few nickel and dime stuff.
    I finished up my KX 250 and took it to the local mx track and rode their hair scramble track in the woods.
    Man this Florida sugar sand is a bitch,I got to the first set of woops and busted my ass.Even tho I could hardly walk for three day's I couldn't wait to get back on and ride again.
  12. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I did just that Chuck,thanks again.
  13. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Should get your parts in the mail tomm. Been very busy!
  14. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

That would be great thank you very much...
  15. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm making good progress,just about finished.I need to order some new sprockets and a chain,and could use some gearing advice.The engine is a 430 WR and I mainly like to do hare scramble type of riding.
  16. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

13 front, 52 rear works pretty well all the way around, spend the extra money on a good chain, even if its a non O ring...
  17. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thank's Chuck,What would be a good chain for sandy conditions?
  18. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

19. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks good. I got your pipe bracket and some other goodies, suspension linkage boxed up, USPS flat rate box this time!
  20. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for all you're help,pm me what I owe you and I'll take care of it.