1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 cr 430 Husqvarna re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troublemaker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    Awesome bike you have here man! My buddy and I have been rebuilding his 87 wr 250 and its needs a new set of forks so I'm wondering what needs to be done to mount up the showas? Also what all would it take to convert it over to a 500 later on. From pictures the engines look identical, so are the bottom ends the same or are the cranks different or is everything different? I would think the cranks would at least have different counter weights but I can't find any info about it anywhere or even any rod kits so I can maybe see what's compatible. A wide ratio gear set would be nice too as it might get street titled one day. Any info you might share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tony
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    a 500 and 250 share parts and go from frame to frame, the 250 cases need to be bored out to take a 500 crank, probably easier and cheaper in the end to find a running 500 engine and bolt it in, everything except the pipe fits and works
    87 forks work pretty well, look at the White Power now known as WP that also came that year on the CR models, a true bolt up
    the Showas of 93 to 95 are usable but cant remember which style steering stop they use, the wheels wont match when you are done either
  3. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    Alright cool, I'll keep an eye out for a complete 500. I have the white power forks on my ATK and they're not bad but I think showas are the way to go. For the rear wheel we're going to try to convert it to disc so we'll probably find a matching cr or crf rear wheel to whatever we get for the forks. Thanks man!
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    Showas were OEM on Husky's from 92 till not exactly sure but mid 90's, they can direct fit except the bearings were odd in 92 for some reason,
    on the rear disc, the 1990 to 92 Husky swingarm might be the answer as they had a 610 that shared cases design with the 430, also had a swingarm mounted kickstand, the trick is the linkage connection it is a little different as they used a Showa in the rear too, but it was a disc setup, working on mine, will have an update when I figure it out