1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 cr 430 Husqvarna re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troublemaker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I got a little sidetracked with a couple Honda cr500 projects but now I'm going to finish up the husky.
    I'm still fighting with the rear wheel-brake set up.
    Anybody know what years rear rim,hub,and brake plate will work on my 87 cr 430?
    Will an 85 cr 500 rear wheel work on mine????????????????
    Anybody?????????????????
  2. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry I haven't been updating this but I was abducted by aliens :doh:
    I spent some time on it yesterday and got it running,still need a few small things but it's close to riding.
    One thing I did do was adapt a 98 Honda cr500 front end on this bike.My digital camera is messing up but I will put up some new pictures soon.
  3. HuskyT Moderator

Would love to see pics of the Honda Forks on this bike.... post up when your camera is working better!

T
  4. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Some updated pictures..

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. '87 500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 500XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 SX-F
    That front end just looks wierd on a Husky, not bad just super different.

What you need to do to the rear to get it better matched to the front is get rid of the PDS style rear end with an IP Piston in the resevoir and replace it with a bladder system. The action is much smoother. I don't know if anyone makes a bladder for an Ohlins this old or if you can retro fit one in to work and re-valve it properly. But with that and your current front end the bike would be worlds better.
  6. '87 500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 500XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 SX-F
    I'm asuming we are talking Husky CR500:

Any rear wheel from 1985-1988 will work( as long as it's single shock). Same goes for the front wheel as long as it had a disc (I think in 1985 there was a cross over but I'm not sure). But yes the 1985 CR500 should work on your CR430.

I believe you have a floating style backing plate so just keep in mind that if you get a wheel from lets say an XC with the backing plate it will not work as the CR swingarm didn't have the notch for the locked style backing plate as far as I know. But that's no big deal as you can just bolt up your backing plate to the hub.

So as I said, any wheel rear wheel from 1985-1988 (single shock) will work. You just may have to re-use your backing plate because it's a floater style.
  7. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for all the info,I'm real busy but I'm going to get back on this bike in a week or so.
  8. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Finally I have finished this bike,I rode it around my property for about 20 minutes and I am very happy with it so far.I have to tell you all that I would never have finished this bike if not for the help I received from Husky fleet,thank you bro,If there is anything I can do to help you,you got my number.This will be my tight woods bike since it has the low first gear.I ditched the round slide Mikuni carb for a 38mm air striker I had laying around,but still need to jet it properly,but I have got it the top of 5th and noticed no head shake unlike my honda's.
    Thank you all for you're advice.
    TT
  9. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Anybody know what the trans fluid capacity is???????
  10. CROTCHROCKETKID Husqvarna

11. CROTCHROCKETKID Husqvarna

HEY Kevin
    I had a great time riding with you last weekend check you out later today
  12. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I had fun too bro,next time I'm riding the Husky..lol
  13. CROTCHROCKETKID Husqvarna

LOL get some
  14. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    My book says 1.4L recomended oil Bel-Ray 85wt gear oil.
    Although I've always use 10w30 for motorcycles and have never had a problem.
  15. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thank you Jim.
  16. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Below me.....
  17. CROTCHROCKETKID Husqvarna

Put some nobbies on that dragster you might catch me
  18. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm putting a slick on the husky for this weekend,then we will see how fast you are.lol
  19. CROTCHROCKETKID Husqvarna

ILL HAVE DANS ROOSTER HELMET ON LOL
  20. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I have been riding the 430 daily,put on a set of Fasst Flexx handlebars,had a cracked air boot and got the piston.:doh:
    Took it apart today,noticed somebody spent a good bit of time cleaning up the ports in the jug.I have a spare jug with a fresh piston and bore waiting on a ring set from Wiseco.

[IMG]

[IMG]